Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra income relief? Coalition backs JobSeeker boost

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

payment1.jpg
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

payment2.jpg
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

You can read the rest of the story here.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways
  • More than a million Australians on JobSeeker will receive a boost.
  • The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
Yep once again the lazy 2years out of work and more getting another pay rise to be able to do nothing and get another tv, can afford 3 packs of smokes instead of the 2 now extra money for grog, I see these people on tv complaining, they have had their hair done piercing everywhere and tattoos all over give me a break, I'm a pensioner they now get more than me, knew this would happen as soon as Labor got in don't forget little Albo single mother the rest you can guess what's going to happen.

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

[first][/first]

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

View attachment 21091
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

View attachment 21093
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways

• The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!
So once again the dole bludgers are to receive an income boost. While I agree that all unemployed over 60 should receive an increase in their help from the Government for some one to say that they can not find a job is total BS. The Australian economy is begging for workers and so many of these alleged unemployed are probably unemployable as the majority think that it would be beneath them to accept a position below what they were originally on. Wake up Australia, technology is readily adaptable by the younger generation and us older generation have to accept positions more in step with our old standards.

Yep once again the lazy 2years out of work and more getting another pay rise to be able to do nothing and get another tv, can afford 3 packs of smokes instead of the 2 now extra money for grog, I see these people on tv complaining, they have had their hair done piercing everywhere and tattoos all over give me a break, I'm a pensioner they now get more than me, knew this would happen as soon as Labor got in don't forget little Albo single mother the rest you can guess what's going to happen.
Labor have proven time after time that they are the best economic managers. They didn't put us a trillion dollars in debt. Franking credits and negative gearing contributed to that. Jobkeeper to companies like Harvey Norman contributed to that. Rorts contributed to that. Get your facts right before making ridiculous comments

I would have preferred to see jobseeker payments to be increased to be the same amount as the age pension! I can't imagine how difficult it would be to subsist on the measly amount we pay people who have lost their job through no fault of their own! It's even worse for people that have a mortgage to pay!

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

Why don't the Government bring back National Service for all those on the Dole and make them earn their money. It would give them some responsibility and teach them to get out and know what it means to "earn a living wage". It didn't do any harm to the ones that did National Service, if fact they benefited from it.

Labor have proven time after time that they are the best economic managers. They didn't put us a trillion dollars in debt. Franking credits and negative gearing contributed to that. Jobkeeper to companies like Harvey Norman contributed to that. Rorts contributed to that. Get your facts right before making ridiculous comments
You have got to be kidding me...Labor "best economic managers"..Are you so blind that you cannot see that all they do is hand out to dole bludgers who don't want to work...The trillion dollar debt was mainly caused by the government spending money during COVID to keep the country alive and running AND saving a lot of people going broke. These people also offered jobs to people like you who were probably sitting at home doing nothing and complaining that they don't give you more of our money, you know...the people called taxpayers.

I do not know where they get their thinking from. How come giving jobseekers $150 - $300 more a fortnight will make them more likely to return to work . Also why can’t they give more to pensioners. I’ve worked all my life, never claimed any centrelink payments. Some years I paid more in tax than some people earnt and I didn’t get too much out of it. My wife works as a nurse and as a pension I get $148/fortnight. Where’s the logic in that. Perhaps I should go on the dole.

So they are going to get more than me on a disability pension. And trying to get on the NDIS for help is near impossible.
The only circumstance in which they would be getting more than you do on DSP is if there is something reducing your payment, such as income from another source, like perhaps a partner whose income is taken into account.

I do not know where they get their thinking from. How come giving jobseekers $150 - $300 more a fortnight will make them more likely to return to work . Also why can’t they give more to pensioners. I’ve worked all my life, never claimed any centrelink payments. Some years I paid more in tax than some people earnt and I didn’t get too much out of it. My wife works as a nurse and as a pension I get $148/fortnight. Where’s the logic in that. Perhaps I should go on the dole.
They aren't being given that! The proposal, and note that it is NOT a government proposal, so unlikely to happen, is to allow them to earn that extra amount from part-time work before their benefits are reduced. Just like pensioners were given an extra allowed amount of income last year.

Why don't the Government bring back National Service for all those on the Dole and make them earn their money. It would give them some responsibility and teach them to get out and know what it means to "earn a living wage". It didn't do any harm to the ones that did National Service, if fact they benefited from it.
Wouldn't necessarily have to be military service either. We keep hearing about the difficulties involved in our defence force personnel being used to respond to disasters such as fires and floods. National Service could take the form of training similar to RFS and SES and deployment to disaster areas when needed. Outside of training/emergency deployment times maybe used for environmental projects such as remediation of disaster-damaged areas.

Labor have proven time after time that they are the best economic managers.
You have to be joking, of course. What about Kevin Rudd?
The truth is that none of them, Liberal nor Labor are good economic managers, they base all their decisions on what is the most likely scenario to keep them in power.
Oh, thanks so much Labor for the extra help to the struggling pensioners.
We keep hearing that people are screaming out for workers, but we give extra money to so called jobseekers ( must be all the out of work lion tamers, etc).
Not talking about those over 50 nobody wants to give you a go anyway (too old) but never mind the government will give you a pension when you reach 70, only 20 years to go, whoopie!!!

Absolutely. National Service should be compulsory for every male and female 18 years and over for a minimum of 2 years. Have people off the dole, have a trained citizenry for a moment's notice if any war happens. Anyone who cannot find a job in 6 months should be automatically conscripted. Then, get the WOKE out of the military.

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

Personally I believe that a huge amount of the unemployed just won’t work. That’s why the Gov is bringing in so many migrants to do the jobs many unemployed won’t do. My son is a manager of a company and can’t get workers for love nor money! Also I have a relative in the UK who is being paid £10000 to come and work here ! If the Gov is paying this to all the migrants where is the money coming from? And where the heck are they all going to live ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×