Home economist puts two air fryers to the test. Which came out golden?

A serving of hot, crunchy chips hits the spot regarding comfort food. However, achieving the perfect balance of crispiness and fluffiness at home can be challenging.

Enter the air fryer—a kitchen gadget that revolutionised how we cook fried treats while promising healthier results with less oil.

Thanks to some home experts, we have the inside scoop on which air fryer can give you the best homemade chips.

CHOICE home economist Fiona Mair conducted a test to determine which budget-friendly air fryer could produce the most delectable chips.

The contenders were Kmart's Anko 12L Air Fryer Oven ($119) and Rusell Hobbs's SatisFry Air Extra Large 8L Air Fryer ($199.95). Mair also added a standard kitchen oven to the equation to compare.

compressed-photo_20240509_095720_0000.jpeg
Kmart and Rusell Hobbs’ air fryers are popular due to their price point and promise to deliver satisfying snacks without using oil. Image Credits: Kmart, Rusell Hobbs

The results were clear: Kmart's Air Fryer Oven emerged as the champion, delivering the 'most golden, crunchy results' and outperforming even the traditional oven.

With an impressive score of 85 per cent for its cooking performance, it's evident that this air fryer is a cut above the rest.

'The reason these chips are the best out of these three is likely due to the rotating basket,' she said.

The Kmart air fryer's unique feature automatically turns chips, ensuring an even cook and golden colour without manual tossing—a necessary task with other air fryers and ovens.

The standard oven managed to secure second place, producing evenly cooked chips.

However, Mair pointed out that they weren't quite as golden. It also cooked slower compared to the Kmart air fryer.

Meanwhile, the Rusell Hobbs air fryer landed in third, with a score of 75 per cent and a final result of chips that were 'slightly unevenly brown'—with some chips paler and some fried to a darker brown colour.

The findings from CHOICE's experiment were shared online, where the Kmart air fryer received a flurry of comments from satisfied customers.

'I hated air fryers until I purchased the Kmart one, and I have never looked back,' one wrote.

'Love this,' another stated.

This could be a game-changer for readers contemplating getting upgrades for their kitchen.

Kmart's Anko 12L Air Fryer Oven offers a quick and easy way to satisfy fried food cravings and represents excellent value for money.

It's a testament that you don't need to spend a fortune to get top-notch kitchen appliances.
Key Takeaways

• CHOICE home economist Fiona Mair assessed budget-friendly air fryers, crowning the Kmart Anko 12L Air Fryer Oven as the best for cooking hot chips.
  • The Kmart air fryer scored 85 per cent for chip cooking performance, thanks to its rotating basket that allows even cooking.
  • It outperformed a standard kitchen oven and a Rusell Hobbs SatisFry air fryer, producing golden and crunchy chips in a shorter time.
  • The testing results were shared online and gained positive feedback from users who confirmed the Kmart air fryer's performance.
Have you tried cooking with an air fryer yet? What are your favourite dishes to prepare? Share your experiences and recipes with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am still trying to prove to myself the value of an Air Fryer. On the plus side, they are faster and use less fat. But it is difficult to remove the food - the only way seems to be to turn the basket upside down! It is also complicated when it comes to different foods needing different temperatures and times. I find it simpler to use the normal methods and have control over each item. I can't really find a reason for using an Air Fryer and regret spending the money on it.

We have an Anko oven air fryer with rotisserie and although we haven't used it much but when we have found it very good.

I agree with that .I have the oven and it's a bit daunting on the settings.I do use though it is quicker
I am still trying to prove to myself the value of an Air Fryer. On the plus side, they are faster and use less fat. But it is difficult to remove the food - the only way seems to be to turn the basket upside down! It is also complicated when it comes to different foods needing different temperatures and times. I find it simpler to use the normal methods and have control over each item. I can't really find a reason for using an Air Fryer and regret spending the money on it.

Air Fryers are just small ovens. Problem is you need three or four air fryers to cook a halfway decent meal, even for two people, a family of 5? at least 6 Air Fryers will suffice.