Over 55? Albanese government plans to boost JobSeeker payments in upcoming Budget

The Albanese government is set to announce a shakeup to Centrelink's JobSeeker payments – and if you're aged over 55, there could be an extra bonus in store for you!

According to recent reports, recipients aged over 55 will receive a modest increase to the current $50 daily JobSeeker rate. This move is part of a suite of cost-of-living measures to be put into action with this month’s budget, specifically targeting hard-hit workers such as the long-term unemployed and older Australians.

1682985685869.png
Over 55 JobSeeker recipients are expected to receive a boost in the upcoming budget. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The raise for older JobSeekers is set to benefit around 200,000 welfare recipients. It’s likely to be a small but modest increase that falls short of the $100 a week increase welfare advocates have been pushing for.

However, every little bit helps, and this could mean a significant difference for those who have been struggling to make ends meet on the current payment rate. As many of you may know, trying to make the most out of a tight budget can be beyond challenging.

This proposed increase will first apply only to those aged 55 and over.

At present, a single person aged 60 and over who has been receiving JobSeeker for nine months receives $745 per fortnight.

On top of a boost to JobSeeker payments, Labor is also looking into making changes to rent assistance, which is another huge consideration for seniors living on a fixed income.

Treasurer, Jim Chalmers, and Social Services Minister, Amanda Rishworth, have released a statement saying: 'We’ve been saying that for some time. I’ve also been saying there will be a very significant cost of living package in this budget and that that will be targeted to most vulnerable Australians, I think that’s what you’d expect from a Labor government.'

Meanwhile, PM Anthony Albanese, told a press conference on Monday afternoon that the government would have ‘a comprehensive plan for lifting living standards’.

‘You’ll see a range of other measures in the budget in eight days’ time, which arise from the understanding that we have that people are doing it tough. We’ve had global inflation. So, we need to make sure we keep on top of inflation. But at the same time, we’re doing what we can to provide that relief for people.’ he continued.

Key Takeaways
  • Older Australians, specifically those aged 55 and over, are set to receive a modest increase to their JobSeeker payments in next week's budget.
  • The raise is part of a suite of budget measures targeting vulnerable Australians, including possible changes to Rent Assistance.

At this stage, there is no further word on the specifics of the upcoming Budget shakeup – but you can be sure that we will keep you updated with the latest information that impacts you as soon as it comes in!

Sponsored
The Albanese government is set to announce a shakeup to Centrelink's JobSeeker payments – and if you're aged over 55, there could be an extra bonus in store for you!

According to recent reports, recipients aged over 55 will receive a modest increase to the current $50 daily JobSeeker rate. This move is part of a suite of cost-of-living measures to be put into action with this month’s budget, specifically targeting hard-hit workers such as the long-term unemployed and older Australians.

View attachment 18844
Over 55 JobSeeker recipients are expected to receive a boost in the upcoming budget. Image Credit: Shutterstock

The raise for older JobSeekers is set to benefit around 200,000 welfare recipients. It’s likely to be a small but modest increase that falls short of the $100 a week increase welfare advocates have been pushing for.

However, every little bit helps, and this could mean a significant difference for those who have been struggling to make ends meet on the current payment rate. As many of you may know, trying to make the most out of a tight budget can be beyond challenging.

This proposed increase will first apply only to those aged 55 and over.

At present, a single person aged 60 and over who has been receiving JobSeeker for nine months receives $745 per fortnight.

On top of a boost to JobSeeker payments, Labor is also looking into making changes to rent assistance, which is another huge consideration for seniors living on a fixed income.

Treasurer, Jim Chalmers, and Social Services Minister, Amanda Rishworth, have released a statement saying: 'We’ve been saying that for some time. I’ve also been saying there will be a very significant cost of living package in this budget and that that will be targeted to most vulnerable Australians, I think that’s what you’d expect from a Labor government.'

Meanwhile, PM Anthony Albanese, told a press conference on Monday afternoon that the government would have ‘a comprehensive plan for lifting living standards’.

‘You’ll see a range of other measures in the budget in eight days’ time, which arise from the understanding that we have that people are doing it tough. We’ve had global inflation. So, we need to make sure we keep on top of inflation. But at the same time, we’re doing what we can to provide that relief for people.’ he continued.

Key Takeaways

• Older Australians, specifically those aged 55 and over, are set to receive a modest increase to their JobSeeker payments in next week's budget.
  • The raise is part of a suite of budget measures targeting vulnerable Australians, including possible changes to Rent Assistance.

At this stage, there is no further word on the specifics of the upcoming Budget shakeup – but you can be sure that we will keep you updated with the latest information that impacts you as soon as it comes in!
Pension should be given a proper increase

Looking at it on paper $745.00 a fortnight seems great!

I remember I used to be paid $11.60 a week, as a first-year carpentry apprentice back in 1968 and mum took half of that in rent.

Reality hits hard when rent is just over half of that.

I live just under an hour out of town, so there's fuel costs, computer access costs, cellphone costs, lockup storage fees, Car maintenance and insurance costs, health insurance, special medicine (naturopathy-bush medicine) costs etc etc etc.

It works out on average, that I have about $400.00 a month to splash around on myself, if I'm frugal and believe it, like many of my age and older, I live frugally, don't smoke etc.

It's been a long time since I have shared with a partner, so I am doing far better than most finance wise. I apply myself daily to create books, that I intend to publish to change things however, there is a definite need to increase the old age pension.

You can't fake getting older hey.

Last edited:
I got excited ..there ...for 1 minute and then find JOBSEEKERS GET RISE..... the Senior Pensioners would deserve one!! Food...(especially) medication.(important very)...I bet heaps Senior Pensioners are cutting well back so they get only necessary food...
So can get ...medication..etc and food...
The most important Staples to life....
JOBSEEKERS....should be working....they have it GOOD NOW..and there are plenty of jobs.....YHEY ARE JUST TOO FUSSY...START CUTTING JOBSEEKERS $$$ THEN THEY HAVE TO WORK.....
OR THE 300.00 MIGRANTS COMING WILL JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO WORK.......JOBSEEKERS HAVE HAD IT TOOOOO GOOD
TIME TO BRING THEM BACK TO EARTH!!!🤔🤔🙏🙏

Looking at it on paper $745.00 a week looks amazing!

I remember I used to be paid $11.60 a week, as a first-year carpentry apprentice back in 1968 and mum took half of that in rent.

Reality hits hard when rent is just over half of that.

I live just under an hour out of town, so there's fuel costs, computer access costs, cellphone costs, lockup storage fees, Car maintenance and insurance costs, health insurance, special medicine (naturopathy-bush medicine) costs etc etc etc.

It works out on average, that I have about $400.00 a month to splash around on myself, if I'm frugal and believe it, like many of my age and older, I live frugally, don't smoke etc.

It's been a long time since I have shared with a partner, so I am doing far better than most finance wise. I apply myself daily to create books, that I intend to publish to change things however, there is a definite need to increase the old age pension.

You can't fake getting older hey.
If it was $745 a week I am sure they would be very happy about it, but it is per fortnight

I am a Jobseeker, am 64 years old, have arthritis, have applied for over 500 jobs in the last couple of years. No one will employ me and i get no response when i apply for jobs. I rely on Centrelink but i still have my mortgage, Medication, Bills, Fuel etc. By the time this is paid there is not much left for food.

I got excited ..there ...for 1 minute and then find JOBSEEKERS GET RISE..... the Senior Pensioners would deserve one!! Food...(especially) medication.(important very)...I bet heaps Senior Pensioners are cutting well back so they get only necessary food...
JOBSEEKERS....should be working....they have it GOOD NOW..and there are plenty of jobs.....YHEY ARE JUST TOO FUSSY...START CUTTING JOBSEEKERS $$$ THEN THEY HAVE TO WORK.....
OR THE 300.00 MIGRANTS COMING WILL JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO WORK.......JOBSEEKERS HAVE HAD IT TOOOOO GOOD

Reactions: Ricci and Mrs P
Probably needed especially for older people who find themselves put off their last job and find it hard getting new employment.

Pensioners got a great increase last one that I'm still trying to get my head around that it was so big. I live alone and yes have my own place and have Private Health Insurance, top cover (Accidental Damages Extension cover) Home & Contents insurance, council rates, car insurance, landline phone & internet plus mobile. The bills add up even.

There are tricks to saving money and I do this by that I eat well but cheap. I don't each much, one meal a day. Tonight I made two patches of Soy & Honey Chicken and all from scratch, plus rice. Two days meals for approximately $3.50 = $1.25 per meal. I'll have a banana later which I just paid $1.99 p/k and works out $0.41 for one banana. Plus, Ill no an Ovaltine Hot milk and some water drink later tonight. I'll be then all good for my morning coffee which I make with all milk but strong Nestle 43' coffee.

Please people, think smart and buy whole fresh chickens hen on sale for $3.50-$5.00 p/kilo and cut them up yourself and freeze in small portions. You can pull out a couple of small portions and roast and have two small roast chickens in two days in a row. Cost of that meal per night could cost you only $2.50 - $3.50. Want desert, then put some puff pastry in the oven, when cooked and puffy, dust with icing sugar, or drizzle with honey, or some Nutella on top, some sliced banana, scoop of some ice cream or cream. Doesn't have to cost the earth.

I am a Jobseeker, am 64 years old, have arthritis, have applied for over 500 jobs in the last couple of years. No one will employ me and i get no response when i apply for jobs. I rely on Centrelink but i still have my mortgage, Medication, Bills, Fuel etc. By the time this is paid there is not much left for food.
Have you considered Disability Pension. You may be applicable. It will depend on the degree of the arthritis that you have as about 95%-100% have arthritis. It's there but for many it does not affect them yet.

You also have on Superannuation you have Loss of Income due to Illness and/or Injury.

Maybe think Employment outside the box and try Woollies, Coles, IGA, Aldi. They hire many older people. Aldi may be better for you as you will not be packing the bags and you sit at the cash register. You may also get 10% off your shopping. Woollies & Coles staff also get % off shopping plus I bet the staff get a lot of discarded stuff as well.

Have you considered Disability Pension. You may be applicable. It will depend on the degree of the arthritis that you have as about 95%-100% have arthritis. It's there but for many it does not affect them yet.

You also have on Superannuation you have Loss of Income due to Illness and/or Injury.

Maybe think Employment outside the box and try Woollies, Coles, IGA, Aldi. They hire many older people. Aldi may be better for you as you will not be packing the bags and you sit at the cash register. You may also get 10% off your shopping. Woollies & Coles staff also get % off shopping plus I bet the staff get a lot of discarded stuff as well. Also, try Australia Post. My friend started there and started there aged 60. It's at their exchange and they run 24/7 so you may get extra for doing the night shift and public holidays. It's Contract work and then they renew the contract with staff, not employment as such. You get paid more as well as there is no sick leave. Maybe I may have this wrong, but I think the $high pay entices people not to take fake sick days. They will explain it to you but you do get holidays.

I would love to work but companies won't hire people over 55 years old. There are not a lot of jobs in Tasmania & am certainly not fussy. If you listen to the reports the Treasurer said the hardest hit Jobseekers are the over 55's. Most older people are more reliable at working than the younger generation but they are the ones that get kicked to the kerb & they are the ones that are now becoming homeless.

Duchess - spot on! Pensioners should be getting this boost, not those on Job Seeker ..... 😡

I've worked all my life and due to medical reasons being a surgeon doing a surgery wrong , I can nolonger work although I would love to be back at work, to earn the $1200 aweek I was getting and to be around people who I loved. I was the bread winner due to hubby being ill.

Unfortunately I had to apply for centrelink and I'm now on Jobseeker Where I hand in a medical certificate every 12 weeks.
I get $644 a fortnight because I'm married . Hubby is on no payments . He is 65 and I'm 61. $644 a fortnight for 2 people is pretty near impossible to live on.

I am far from a bludger .
I have 13 kids and when they were young I could have gotten way more on centrelink with that many children but I chose to work .

People need to think before they say

Last edited:
I've worked all my life and due to medical reasons being a surgeon doing a surgery wrong , I can nolonger work although I would love to be back at work, to earn the $1200 aweek I was getting and to be around people who I loved. I was the bread winner due to hubby being ill.

Unfortunately I had to apply for centrelink and I'm now on Jobseeker Where I hand in a medical certificate every 12 weeks.
I get $644 a fortnight because I'm married . Hubby is on no payments . He is 65 and I'm 61. $644 a fortnight for 2 people is pretty near impossible to live on.

I am far from a bludger .
I have 13 and when they were young I could have gotten way more on centrelink with that many children but I chose to work .

People need to think before they say
I would be interested in hearing why your husband does not receive any benefit, given that he is ill and too young for the age pension, unless of course, there are other assets such as super and/or investments.

I strongly believe that ALL jobseekers need to have an increase in their Jobseeker Allowance to bring it back to being equal with the age pension. The payments used to be the same until the "reign" of that ghastly Howard (I have other words for that creep, but they wouldn' be tolerated on this page).

I think it is disgraceful how Australia treats citizens that lose their job - most often through no fault of themselves and it is a shame that there are so many people that agree that unemployed people are treated like dirt. The vast majority of the unemployed have paid their taxes and have been productive members of society and they certainly do NOT deserve to be treated like vermin.

Having said this, I arrived in Australia back in 1969 as a 22 yo. With the exception of the first two years of my marriage, I worked and raised my children as a single mother until I retired in 2012, I am a self funded retiree, living off superannuation. I also own a couple of properties in addition to my home. I have 4 children, all of whom are gainfully employed and 3 out of them own their home. The exception is my youngest son, aged 32. He has enough for a deposit but I suggested to him it may be an idea to hold off for a while.