‘Get a job!’ – Welfare recipient fires back at radio host after being criticised on air

It seems like every time we turn on the news or open the paper, the topic of Centrelink and welfare payments is a hot topic. The debate on whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right can cause emotions to run high.

With the cost-of-living prices skyrocketing, some individuals are finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet, especially without a stable and regular income.

Case in point: A recent radio row between an unemployed graphic designer and a breakfast radio host ignited discussion and caused quite a stir.

It all began when an unemployed Melbourne man named Jez Heywood (47) complained online about the $20 per week increase to JobSeeker and called it ‘insufficient’.

Mr Heywood is the President of the Australian Unemployed Workers Union.

2GB’s host Ben Fordham called Mr Heywood a ‘dole bludger’ and told him to ‘get a job’ on air.

radio1.jpg
The pair had a heated exchange live on air. Credit: Skylar Kang/Pexels

‘Jez says you have to weigh up every financial decision you make. Why don't you weigh up getting a job? Any job? Because we're here to tell you there are half a million of them available right now,’ he stated.

This sparked a heated response from Mr Heywood.

‘Hey, Ben Fordham, you f****ng gronk, don't just take a cowardly swipe from the comfort of your studio. Call me up, and let's have a chat. Have me on your show, you coward,’ Mr Heywood said in a post online.

The interview resulted in a major uproar among Mr Fordham’s listeners, with many calling in to accuse Mr Heywood of ‘making excuses’ not to work.

‘Just go out and flip burgers. Doing something is better than nothing,' one caller said.

radio2.jpg
Mr Heywood fired back at the radio host. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

‘I'm 71 years old. I’m just leaving for work now, so he can get an extra $40 a week from my taxes. I’ll call him a dole bludger,’ another replied.

The interviewee at the centre of the issue had been unemployed since 2017 and defended why he couldn't commit to full-time work, stating that limited job options–given his mental health issues–were seriously affecting his capacity to find stable employment.

Fellow radio host Ray Hadley chimed in and stated that Mr Heywood was a ‘dole bludger’ – something that Mr Heywood accused Mr Fordham of calling him.

‘Can I just point something out? You calling me a dole bludger on national radio,’ Mr Heywood said to Fordham during the heated exchange.

Mr Fordham replied that he didn’t.

‘You didn't? What did you call me?' Mr Heywood responded, to which Fordham told him he needed to 'get your facts straight'.

Mr Fordham fired back: ‘I never called you a dole bludger. I said: “Jez, why don't you get a job?”.’

Mr Heywood then said that while he was not explicitly called a dole bludger, it had been ‘inferred’. To which Mr Fordham laughed off the accusation and explained that he only wanted to help Mr Heywood find a job.

‘Do you? Because you're not saying very nice things about me on the radio,' was Mr Heywood’s reply.

‘It’s hard to find things that my brain can handle. The last job I applied for on Seek, I got an email back saying there were over 100 applicants, so there's a lot of people out there looking for jobs, and it's a really tough market,’ Mr Heywood admitted.

Mr Fordham then inquired whether his mental health issues were brought on by the fact that he was not working.

‘There are 54,000 jobs available in Melbourne. None of those 54,000 jobs are suitable for you? Or you're applying for them, but they're not giving you the nod?’ Mr Fordham questioned, to which Mr Heywood said he was applying for jobs that were suitable to him.

‘I can't consistently commit to something. My brain just gets so incredibly exhausted. The best thing that happened to me in the past three years was when the Morrison government doubled JobSeeker,’ Mr Heywood proclaimed.

Mr Heywood also said he did not have the physical capacity to do manual labour.

While some might argue that the response given to Mr Heywood is harsh, it is important to recognise that there is still a stigma attached to being unemployed and receiving Centrelink payments.

The complexity of each individual's circumstances must be taken into account, as the reasons for being unemployed vary wildly, and mental health issues can make finding suitable work extremely challenging.

When asked if he would take a part-time job in a pub, Mr Heywood said: ‘The problem with those kinds of situations is, I have a cousin who runs a supermarket and once I asked him if he'd employ me, and he said he wouldn't because I have a postgraduate degree in graphic design and 20 years of experience.’

‘He said he wouldn't see me as a full-time employee. He would see me as not a permanent employee. If he had a resume from me and a resume from someone who'd already worked in supermarkets, he'd take the supermarket person,’ he continued.

Mr Fordham then asked: ‘What would you say to anyone out there in the graphic design industry who's thinking “alright, I desperately need someone, and I'm happy to give Jez a go?”.’

Mr Heywood then called on employers to get in contact and stated he was willing to work part-time, eight hours a week.
Key Takeaways
  • An unemployed graphic designer, Jez Heywood, clashed with 2GB breakfast host Ben Fordham over unemployment benefits and job seeking.
  • Mr Heywood has been unemployed since 2017 and claims limited options due to mental health issues are the reason for his inability to find a job.
  • Mr Fordham's listeners criticised Mr Heywood for making excuses and not working, with one caller stating that people have to work hard every day to pay for those who do nothing.
  • Mr Heywood called on employers to contact him for part-time graphic design work, expressing his willingness to work eight hours a week.
We want to hear your thoughts – let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
It seems like every time we turn on the news or open the paper, the topic of Centrelink and welfare payments is a hot topic. The debate on whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right can cause emotions to run high.

With the cost-of-living prices skyrocketing, some individuals are finding it increasingly difficult to make ends meet, especially without a stable and regular income.

Case in point: A recent radio row between an unemployed graphic designer and a breakfast radio host ignited discussion and caused quite a stir.

It all began when an unemployed Melbourne man named Jez Heywood (47) complained online about the $20 per week increase to JobSeeker and called it ‘insufficient’.

2GB’s host Ben Fordham called Mr Heywood a ‘dole bludger’ and told him to ‘get a job’ on air.

View attachment 20075

‘Jez says you have to weigh up every financial decision you make. Why don't you weigh up getting a job? Any job? Because we're here to tell you there are half a million of them available right now,’ he stated.

‘Hey, Ben Fordham, you f****ng gronk, don't just take a cowardly swipe from the comfort of your studio. Call me up, and let's have a chat. Have me on your show, you coward,’ Mr Heywood said in a post online.

The interview resulted in a major uproar among Mr Fordham’s listeners, with many calling in to accuse Mr Heywood of ‘making excuses’ not to work.

‘Just go out and flip burgers. Doing something is better than nothing,' one caller said.

View attachment 20076

‘I'm 71 years old. I’m just leaving for work now, so he can get an extra $40 a week from my taxes. I’ll call him a dole bludger,’ another replied.

The interviewee at the centre of the issue had been unemployed since 2017 and defended why he couldn't commit to full-time work, stating that limited job options–given his mental health issues–were seriously affecting his capacity to find stable employment.

Fellow radio host Ray Hadley chimed in and stated that Mr Heywood was a ‘dole bludger’ – something that Mr Heywood accused Mr Fordham of calling him.

‘Can I just point something out? You calling me a dole bludger on national radio,’ Mr Heywood said to Fordham during the heated exchange.

‘You didn't? What did you call me?' Mr Heywood responded, to which Fordham told him he needed to 'get your facts straight'.

Mr Fordham fired back: ‘I never called you a dole bludger. I said: “Jez, why don't you get a job?”.’

Mr Heywood then said that while he was not explicitly called a dole bludger, it had been ‘inferred’. To which Mr Fordham laughed off the accusation and explained that he only wanted to help Mr Heywood find a job.

‘Do you? Because you're not saying very nice things about me on the radio,' was Mr Heywood’s reply.

‘It’s hard to find things that my brain can handle. The last job I applied for on Seek, I got an email back saying there were over 100 applicants, so there's a lot of people out there looking for jobs, and it's a really tough market,’ Mr Heywood admitted.

Mr Fordham then inquired whether his mental health issues were brought on by the fact that he was not working.

‘There are 54,000 jobs available in Melbourne. None of those 54,000 jobs are suitable for you? Or you're applying for them, but they're not giving you the nod?’ Mr Fordham questioned, to which Mr Heywood said he was applying for jobs that were suitable to him.

‘I can't consistently commit to something. My brain just gets so incredibly exhausted. The best thing that happened to me in the past three years was when the Morrison government doubled JobSeeker,’ Mr Heywood proclaimed.

While some might argue that the response given to Mr Heywood is harsh, it is important to recognise that there is still a stigma attached to being unemployed and receiving Centrelink payments.

The complexity of each individual's circumstances must be taken into account, as the reasons for being unemployed vary wildly, and mental health issues can make finding suitable work extremely challenging.

When asked if he would take a part-time job in a pub, Mr Heywood said: ‘The problem with those kinds of situations is, I have a cousin who runs a supermarket and once I asked him if he'd employ me, and he said he wouldn't because I have a postgraduate degree in graphic design and 20 years of experience.’

‘He said he wouldn't see me as a full-time employee. He would see me as not a permanent employee. If he had a resume from me and a resume from someone who'd already worked in supermarkets, he'd take the supermarket person,’ he continued.

Mr Fordham then asked: ‘What would you say to anyone out there in the graphic design industry who's thinking “alright, I desperately need someone, and I'm happy to give Jez a go?”.’

Mr Heywood then called on employers to get in contact and stated he was willing to work part-time, eight hours a week.
Key Takeaways

• An unemployed graphic designer, Jez Heywood, clashed with 2GB breakfast host Ben Fordham over unemployment benefits and job seeking.
  • Mr Heywood has been unemployed since 2017 and claims limited options due to mental health issues are the reason for his inability to find a job.
  • Mr Fordham's listeners criticised Mr Heywood for making excuses and not working, with one caller stating that people have to work hard every day to pay for those who do nothing.
  • Mr Heywood called on employers to contact him for part-time graphic design work, expressing his willingness to work eight hours a week.

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

With all due respect for Mr Heywood, if he is capable of running his dole bludgers organisations then he has blown his argument that his mentality is affected by working more than 10 hours a week. It is about time this government started taking responsibility for these dole bludgers and stop all payments if they can not prove that they are senior citizens or physically disabled. And, if I am right, is not 10 hours a week the maximum time a person can work before loosing their tax payers money.
This creep should be fully investigated by Social Security and charge him with fraud if they can prove that he is bludger using the system to rip off the tax payer as it is the working class that are paying the dole to this alleged “sick” person and the first place to look is this dole bludgers Union.

Yes, running his organisation does have something to say he is ‘capable of working’ at something even ‘below’ his graphic design capabilities. Having said that I know many employers do tell prospective job-seekers that they are too highly qualified. Having said that also, once more, why is he limiting himself to so few hours a week? If he is running his own union how many hours is he spending in that to say he can only do 10 hours a week in another job? Every employer is not looking for someone that wants to spread 10 hours over a whole week. They want someone that is not flitting in any out of their job everyday. It is disruptive to have employees coming and going resulting in very little work being done in a couple of hours each time. And does he benefit financially with a wage in any way from his union job? If yes to these questions then I would label him a dole-bludger.

We do not know all details about anyone so cannot accurately judge them. What, why, when and how should all be made public and disclosed honestly, and investigated fully, by government to determine whether anyone is entitled to any job-seeker payment.

Last edited:
Have I now heard everything? An unemployed union! If he can run that he should be able to get a great job.
There are plenty of jobs out there, you may not like the jobs that are there but it is WORK, you do earn $$$$. While I was married, with 3 kids, I did grape picking, pruning and. tying down, (rain hail or shine). 23 yrs doing Aged Care, worked in a delicatessen, strawberry picking, and some other menial work. Work is work. I know many people who are quite capable of working, they just DON"T WANT TO. Please don't tell me "I can't find work", too old, Over qualified. Get off your butts, get a job, and earn your money, don't sit with your hand out.

This story is not new to me, having worked in the employment sector for over 15 years. There is a significant chunk of unemployed individuals who use all sorts of excuses NOT to take up a job...any job. In the office, our consultants used to share with each other any new excuse to add to the long list of those that are regularly used by some jobseekers to avoid working. The list incudes e.g. not close enough to home(15mins is too far),won't work for the minimum wage, not the type of job they want, only want to work between certain hours. Both major parties , when in power, said that if certain conditions were not met by jobseekers then their benefits would be cut back or stopped for a period of time. However, this very rarely happened.
There is a shortage of workers in multiple sectors at present so, as far as I am concerned, it is hard for anyone to argue that they can't find a job.
We have now come to the point where all we hear is how job seekers should be paid, effectively, a "living wage". If that were to happen where is the incentive to work?

Remember when all social secutiry payments were for the same fortnightly amount? That was until Howard demonised unemployed people and froze the amount of their benefit to HALF of the age pension!

I acknowledge that there is a small number of "dole bludgers" around, but the majority of unemployed are people that have held jobs and paid taxes and need support to get back into a job! Anybody in employment is at risk of losing their job for many reasons. All you have to do is to look at how many companies go into liquidation and their entire workforce becomes unemployed!

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

Lots of people are unemployed by choice of either themselves or others , whereas there are a lot more struggling to survive and can't find a job. Some people have mental issues that stop them " pulling " themselves together and working fulltime . I have always worked and could organise myself to start early and work all day ,come home and keep going with household chores ,garden etc . The same ones who can not " pull " themselves together to work are often the same ones who do not or can not organise themselves in the home . I remember when I was working and went to people's homes where no one worked ,the houses were often messy and regular meals were rarely cooked .......maybe it is a mental issue ? But name calling doesn't help as there will always be those that are unemployable .

Reactions: TheBear and Ezzy

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

I wish people could understand just how much certain mental health issues affect peoples’ ability to even look for a job. Anxiety affects so many people. For some, the physical act of walking into a business to hand over a resume is so debilitating that they may have been awake all the night before, have a blinding headache and have been vomiting since they got out of bed.
Please don’t be so quick to call people out on their non ability to find a job. A little compassion goes a long way.

Can't agree more with Ben Fordham. Jez....get a job....it will change your outlook on life. He is a qualified graphic designer with 20 years experience. Currently there are over 3,000 vacancies in Melbourne in his field and as Ben pointed out over 50,000 job vacancies overall. He is president of an organization called the Australian Unemployed Workers Union yet in his own words only wants to work 8 hours a week, which coincidentally would not affect his unemployment benefits. So even as President he is doing nothing to help himself. Needs a massive wakeup call. Apart from his apalling language, the roadblocks Jez puts up to avoid getting a job would indicate he needs some serious counselling to get back in the workforce and get some enjoyment and value out of life. As Ben infers being unemployed is doing no favours to his mental health.

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so thrilling as getting off on being indignant and self-righteous about one's fellow human being having a misfortune and then receiving very minor government support to help him/her through that misfortune. "Dole bludger"; what a perfect excuse to get angry and point fingers of blame. Misfortune can happen to any one of us at any time so think before you blame; are we a society or just a pack of snarling dogs biting each other to see who is top dog.

Sorry to say, but there are many who would love to have a job - any job! Good on Ben Fordham for calling this person out. An Unemployed Union?! Now I've heard everything!! Sick and tired of my taxes going to creeps like him!

I love how people say just do this just do that. before I was old enough to get the pension I applied for 90 jobs a few years ago I didn't care what I did the Government say you can't discriminate on age but on every application they ask for your date of birth so I never got the offer of a job

I fully agree with Ben Fordham , if he his healthy and has not got a job , get one , there are plenty of jobs around . They should get rid of the jobseeker payment as there is work everywhere. I am a taxpayer , so he lives from my hard earned money , I am a self funded retiree.
When I came to AU a long time ago , I am a Registered Nurse and a Midwife , I was unable to work in that field as I did not hold the AU Qualifications. I went to live in Sydney where I obtained my NSW. Registration as a R/N. Went back to Qld , where my family lived and went to the Nurses Board of Qld , they refused to give me the Qld registration .
So , I worked for a year or so as an Assistant Nurse just to make money , while I was dealing with some organisations to get my R/N registration .
I did send the Nurses Registration board a letter , if they will not give me the registration , I will write a letter to the Health Minister .
14 days later I got a note in the mail , if I pay $15-. , they would send me my registration. ( that is how cheap the registration was back then . )
Later on , everything changed and they took any nurse from overseas , even if they could not speak basic English.
You see , I’ve been there and done that , so it makes me very cross if there is work and people just not taking up any job , it’s just crazy.

View attachment 20075

View attachment 20076

Key Takeaways

It's a bit hard to know if he called him a dole bludger without hearing the exchange, but if he didn't why print it as so? The truth is there is a stigma on welfare recipients, and as human nature often does are all labelled with the worst case scenario, which is seldom fitting, which is what Fordham did imo.