Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra income relief? Coalition backs JobSeeker boost

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

payment1.jpg
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

payment2.jpg
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

You can read the rest of the story here.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways
  • More than a million Australians on JobSeeker will receive a boost.
  • The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
I do not know where they get their thinking from. How come giving jobseekers $150 - $300 more a fortnight will make them more likely to return to work . Also why can’t they give more to pensioners. I’ve worked all my life, never claimed any centrelink payments. Some years I paid more in tax than some people earnt and I didn’t get too much out of it. My wife works as a nurse and as a pension I get $148/fortnight. Where’s the logic in that. Perhaps I should go on the dole.
I have worked all my life as well. And I had the foresight way back when I was in my 20s to realise that by the time I would reach retirement age, I didn't want to have to rely on the age pension! I was also a single parent for most of my adult life - the oldest of my 4 children will turn 57 later this month and my youngest is celebrating his 33rd birthday today.

Once upon a time the age pension may have been an entitlement. However, since the advent of compulsory superannuation back in 1991 - 42 years ago(!), this is no longer the case! The Age Pension, like all other welfare payments, is now a safety net for those people that do not have sufficient savings in their superannuation accounts to support them in retirement!

I travel a lot and I have noted that over the past 15 to 20 years the number of caravans has increased exponentially and I wonder how many of those were financed with superannuation money. One only needs to go to a caravan exhibition to see that the majority of people viewing caravans is over 60. It's not difficult to guess that a lot of the money in superannuation gets spent on caravans, also big 4 wheel drive vehicles and boats.

I don't receive an age pension, and after working more than 45 years in this country, I am happy that I failed the asset test and don't have to allow Centrelink to inspect all of my orifices. At the age of 76 I still pay income tax on my earnings and I do not begrudge jobseekers their miserable tiny allowance.

As for jobseekers getting more money, only jobseekers above 55 fall into this group, younger people continue to get fraction of what age pensioners get.

This is the face of unemployment:

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

View attachment 21091
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

View attachment 21093
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways

• The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jarred Santos
The trouble is the government gives out all this money for job seekers and all else and they don't even go looking for jobs. They more getting job seekers that working.
What about all the poor pensioners who struggle every day. This government socks big time grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I feel very strongly about the amount of money these dole bludgers get. They have never worked in their life and don't intend to. Why go to work when we get more for staying at home. The dole money should be only available to them for so long and then reduced so that they have to go to work. I am a pensioners and next week have to pay $722.35 for power, water, phone, gas, insurance just to keep my warm etc. There is not much left for food and I do not drive the car unless I have to go to doctors, chemist or supermarket. I worked since ever I came to Australia, paid income tax, medicare levy, etc. hospital fund which I now cannot afford, and so the list goes on. The dole bludgers get everything handed to them and time the government woke up to what is going on. But PM was brought up by his mum, so he definitely is looking out for all the dole bludgers.
The majority are not bludgers. Years ago if you were competent and had a professional approach that was all that was needed to get a job.
Now they query your personality, hobbies taste in clothing, and even the school you went to. To that add age and ethic discrimination, and for many people these are the barriers they face.
The other extreme I witnessed a few years ago was an immigrant hired for a technical job after a successful interview. Person was very competent but the manager (who did the interview) after 3 weeks stated the persons English was not good enough dnd fired the person. What does that say about the manager?
Another practice is managers hand out an applicants CV to their staff. So of course someone objects and the job finishes up with someone's friend.

Do not generalize. There may be people like you describe, but a majority of them are honest and need the help.
Haven't generalised, I take people only read what they want, I said people who have been more than 2 YEARS, I would say that statement is VERY SPECIFIC. OMG

The age pensioners have worked hard all their lives, and some are still working into their 70s and 80s even 90s, yet we still have a lot of young people on the dole, the dole bludgers need to get of their bums and get to work, also how the hell do a lot of them have tattoos etc they cost a lot of money, so they must be doing ok. A couple of years back, it was either current affair or 60mins interviewing a dole bludger, young chap, been on the dole for quite a while, and bragged that he has enough money on the dole, had a nice TV and enough for his weed etc, he is just plain lazy, I hope centrelink caught up with him. And the government wants to bring in migrants to do the jobs because our lazy bludgers just don't want to work. Jan Purcell

Reactions: Aussie all the Way

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

• What is being done about it????

Wow what an angry ungrateful mob!
The decent increase we had in March forgotten so soon!
We are where we are because of the decisions we made when we were younger and now we get help from the government to help us manage those decisions- not such a bad deal I think!
Those seeking work need a lot of help too - they are often young families trying to give the best to their kids.
To them Dole Bludgers is like a swear word!
the reason it was forgotten about was that it was an insult to the intelligence.

The age pensioners have worked hard all their lives, and some are still working into their 70s and 80s even 90s, yet we still have a lot of young people on the dole, the dole bludgers need to get of their bums and get to work, also how the hell do a lot of them have tattoos etc they cost a lot of money, so they must be doing ok. A couple of years back, it was either current affair or 60mins interviewing a dole bludger, young chap, been on the dole for quite a while, and bragged that he has enough money on the dole, had a nice TV and enough for his weed etc, he is just plain lazy, I hope centrelink caught up with him. And the government wants to bring in migrants to do the jobs because our lazy bludgers just don't want to work. Jan Purcell
Love your thinking but when I say it I get all sorts of shit thrown at me.

Reactions: Robbo3006

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

What about people on age pension their cost of living has increased too
Always the forgotten
How about somebody standing up for them

Reactions: Robbo3006
You have got to be kidding me...Labor "best economic managers"..Are you so blind that you cannot see that all they do is hand out to dole bludgers who don't want to work...The trillion dollar debt was mainly caused by the government spending money during COVID to keep the country alive and running AND saving a lot of people going broke. These people also offered jobs to people like you who were probably sitting at home doing nothing and complaining that they don't give you more of our money, you know...the people called taxpayers.
Liberal believed the covid bs just like global warming, that's what put us in debt. Better give the bludgers money than come home to an empty house with no car in the driveway, when they load all your stuff in your car and drive off.

Please stop tarring all the people on Jobseeker with the same brush.
I am 63, in severe pain and have to do my volunteer hours, which send me into back spasms for that day and the next. I have 5 damaged discs in my back which get inflamed with the smallest amount of work. I am therefore unable to get anytype of job. I still have 4 more years of this till I reach pension age.
I would love to be pain free and have
The ability to earn money, but that is not possible. The Jobseeker payment even with the $40 increase that we are still below the poverty line. Life is a total struggle, but I am lucky I dont have to pay rent.
Please stop whinging, be grateful you are alive. Think about those more worse off than yourselves.

Reactions: Fat&fancy
Yep once again the lazy 2years out of work and more getting another pay rise to be able to do nothing and get another tv, can afford 3 packs of smokes instead of the 2 now extra money for grog, I see these people on tv complaining, they have had their hair done piercing everywhere and tattoos all over give me a break, I'm a pensioner they now get more than me, knew this would happen as soon as Labor got in don't forget little Albo single mother the rest you can guess what's going to happen.
Such a judgemental statement, not all on welfare are lazy, everybody's situation is different. Sure there are bludgers, but not everyone is!

Liberal believed the covid bs just like global warming, that's what put us in debt. Better give the bludgers money than come home to an empty house with no car in the driveway, when they load all your stuff in your car and drive off.
Try telling the families of the people that have died from COVID that it was just BS, do you believe the World is FLAT as well.

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

I'm happy for them, but as I worked, 2,jobs, most of my life, just to survive, I would appreciate a little more in my aged pension.
I am in government housing, for which I am eternally grateful, but still struggle, to survive. I feel for those in private rentals. It must be terrible.

I'm happy for them, but as I worked, 2,jobs, most of my life, just to survive, I would appreciate a little more in my aged pension.
I am in government housing, for which I am eternally grateful, but still struggle, to survive. I feel for those in private rentals. It must be terrible.
Yes it is terrible in a private rental, super expensive and stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×