SDC Mother’s Day Memories

In honour of Mother’s Day this May 12th, some of the SDC team took a moment to remember memorable moments with their mothers.

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 2.17.15 pm.png
Image Credit: Shutterstock

April:

For me, it was something very simple; my mum was always there. She was there to make sure I made it to school on time and waiting for me when I got home. She was at award ceremonies, sports games, and the happy and sad moments that come with being a teenager. I remember having ‘Girl Talk Time’ with her after primary school every day, where we’d sit on the end of my bed or sometimes on the couch with a bag of chips and my childhood dog, Princess, and we’d just talk about our day.

So, what I appreciate the most is her willingness to show up for those she loves. Thank you, mum, for teaching me unconditional love.

IMG_7131 (1).jpg
This year’s card is from Well Drawn in Melbourne. Image Credit: April

Seia:

My mum was diagnosed with Stage 2B breast cancer when I was 10 years old. I was still innocent and didn’t know much about responsibilities at home. But since I was an only child and my dad had to go to work, I had to take up the responsibility of taking care of her and doing household chores while studying.

When she underwent chemotherapy, I was with her. And despite the pain she endured during chemo, she always asked if I had eaten or if my school uniform had been ironed by my dad.

Now, she’s in her 70s, a breast cancer survivor, still strong and smart. She’s also a fur parent to my two dogs 😂

She never left me every step of the way (even when I made bad decisions in my life lol), and I honestly don’t know what to do without her. I hope and pray she’s still here and sees me succeed in life 💖

Danielle:

My mum was absent during my childhood years, but I can't blame her.
She had to work extra hard as she was the sole breadwinner then. She would be away from early morning until the wee hours of the night (she was an economist and juggled two businesses on top of her day job).

Thanks to her dedication and insane work ethic, she gave me and my siblings a comfortable life. She gave us a safety net that allowed us to explore different careers and has supported my endeavours in and out of work.

She's now 65 and living her best life as she enjoys her retirement years with my dad!

I live far away from her, but we always find time to catch up, even on the most mundane days. She sends me photos of her adventures (she loves hiking and has a green thumb!) and her daily shenanigans with my toddler nephew and my cat, Ms Poggies.

I'm happy to have her as my mum and relieved she's proud of me as her daughter. I still wish I inherited her maths skills, though! 😭

Sethia:

It may be a little unconventional, but the person I consider my mum is my nan! My beautiful grandmother raised and loved me like I was one of her own, and it made me the woman I am today.

One memory I’ll never forget was when I was sent to the emergency department due to a horrible depressive episode that almost took my life. I was convinced there was nothing left to live for at the time.

md (1).png
My nan is the strongest woman I know! Image Credit: Sethia

But despite being three hours away from my nan, who didn’t know how to drive and was too sick to commute, she still somehow managed to show up for me in the hospital. I’m not sure how she knew, and it genuinely moved me. I was in tears when I realised that this lovely soul so selflessly went out of her way to be there for me when I needed someone the most.

Ever since then, when life’s pressures weigh too heavily on my shoulders, I am reminded of my nan’s unbounded love for me. I know my nan occasionally reads our articles here in the Seniors Discount Club too, so if you’re reading this, I love you more than anything, grandma!

Tricia:

The person I consider my mum is my grandma, too. Both of my parents worked overseas so I, along with my sister and 3 cousins, were raised by my grandma. I did not know a thing about any household chores until I moved out to go to uni because my grandma did everything for us. She passed away 9 years ago but her memory lives on…I named my daughter after her, Onah Rosita.

Maddie:

Where do I even begin! I have so many memorable moments with my Mum. She has done everything for my siblings and I, from keeping a roof over our heads, to working 7 days a week, to treating us to take away even when she didn’t have the money for it. I have so many beautiful memories with her, but some of my favourite memories have to be picnics at the park. Mum used to walk up to Coles, grab some fresh bread rolls, coleslaw, and a hot BBQ chook. Then we’d meet her at the park just by our house and have chicken rolls for lunch and then play on the play equipment all afternoon, while she read a book or a magazine. If it was an extra special day, we’d also be given money to go to the corner shop and buy ourselves an ice cream. I used to love spending the afternoon with my mum and my siblings, and my goodness, I still love a fresh chicken roll! Nothing beats them! I’ll forever treasure everything my mum has done for me, and I can only hope to be half the mum she has been to me when I become a mum one day!

Now, we’d love to hear your favourite stories/memories. Share yours in the comments below.

Sponsored
Such beautiful tributes!
My Mum was always there for us especially through our years at primary school where she spent so much time helping out. She coached & umpired netball, worked in the school canteen, went on excursions with us and was generally always involved in something. It made our lives so much better. We lost her in 2012 & I miss her every day ❤️

I love my m dearly, but l would like to share another mum l admire with all my heart.
My 41 year old daughter. Rachel. Married to a very controlling man in her 20s was devastating for her father and l to watch and for me to hear about every day towards the end of the marriage. He ex husband lied and said she was the bad one doing what he was doing playing up. Telling his family and friends it was her. Because she had the courage to walk away. His mother said to my daughter you have to catch him in the act to know he was playing up. Please. He got the lot 99% of the sale of the house gave her $3,000 an old car two dogs and the three kids ages at the time 7, 5, 2. At the time the youngest had been diagnosed with autism. At this time she wasn't working. Mind you after the birth of each child she was forced to go back to work because unbeknown to her he was gambling the money. He would berate her for spending to much on shopping.
She managed to find a nice rental home got a job and did the best she could to get on with life. When she met a lovely man who she is still with 9 years years on and have a beautiful child together. The fun started again the ex was horrified that he had been replaced took out avos on the new partner for made up things. Just unbelievable.
Anyway moving forward. All three children have been diagnosed on the autism spectrum. My darling daughter has not stopped working 5 days a week. She takes the kids to so many appointments for mental health, ot, paediatrician. On top of that different after school sports. Then has to deal with the self harming the two older kids have done to them selves.
Financial struggles when the ex does not pay his child support.
Then making time for her partners three children.
She never complains. Just puts one foot in front of the other. Never looses her cool, she is such a patient woman. The house is not spotless but who cares she is in my eyes a super mum woman the best.
I admire her and am so proud of her. What makes my heart swell is when her partner tells she is the best. She certainly is. She never gets a holiday away nothing just go go.
A huge Happy Mothers Day to my beautiful daughter Rachel.
I love you so much you are a very special soul.
Love you mum xx

I love my m dearly, but l would like to share another mum l admire with all my heart.
My 41 year old daughter. Rachel. Married to a very controlling man in her 20s was devastating for her father and l to watch and for me to hear about every day towards the end of the marriage. He ex husband lied and said she was the bad one doing what he was doing playing up. Telling his family and friends it was her. Because she had the courage to walk away. His mother said to my daughter you have to catch him in the act to know he was playing up. Please. He got the lot 99% of the sale of the house gave her $3,000 an old car two dogs and the three kids ages at the time 7, 5, 2. At the time the youngest had been diagnosed with autism. At this time she wasn't working. Mind you after the birth of each child she was forced to go back to work because unbeknown to her he was gambling the money. He would berate her for spending to much on shopping.
She managed to find a nice rental home got a job and did the best she could to get on with life. When she met a lovely man who she is still with 9 years years on and have a beautiful child together. The fun started again the ex was horrified that he had been replaced took out avos on the new partner for made up things. Just unbelievable.
Anyway moving forward. All three children have been diagnosed on the autism spectrum. My darling daughter has not stopped working 5 days a week. She takes the kids to so many appointments for mental health, ot, paediatrician. On top of that different after school sports. Then has to deal with the self harming the two older kids have done to them selves.
Financial struggles when the ex does not pay his child support.
Then making time for her partners three children.
She never complains. Just puts one foot in front of the other. Never looses her cool, she is such a patient woman. The house is not spotless but who cares she is in my eyes a super mum woman the best.
I admire her and am so proud of her. What makes my heart swell is when her partner tells she is the best. She certainly is. She never gets a holiday away nothing just go go.
A huge Happy Mothers Day to my beautiful daughter Rachel.
I love you so much you are a very special soul.
Love you mum xx
A very happy mothers day to your daughter. She certainly deserves it.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB and Gsr
My mum was such a special person in my life. Even with ten kids she made each one of us feel special and always made time to be there for each of us. I grew up helping mum as much as I could, from doing chores, cooking, helping with younger siblings. I was the second eldest so mum was always so grateful for the help I gave her. My older sister wasn’t inclined to do anything more than she had to but I loved being mums helper. It has been over thirty years since she passed away from breast cancer, but I still miss her so much. I have a beautiful photo with her from my wedding day that I cherish, she was so happy for me. She told hubby that she knew he was my soulmate and that from the day she met him she stopped worrying about me as she knew I would be well loved and looked after for the rest of my life. She was so right, must have been mothers intuition.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
My favourite memory was cramling into bed with my mum on a Sunday morning for a cuddle and a chat about the week gone. So warm.

• Love
Reactions: TriciaR
Sadly, not all Mum's conform. Mine abandoned me and was never there for me when I had problems to deal with. I can remember going to her house at 12 years of age and just standing outside. If she saw me she would wave but never invite me in. She got dementia when she was old. I went to see her and she said "who are you. Go away".

We weren't a rich family but there was always plenty of love. My Mum's mother died when Mum was only 2 so she never knew a mother's love herself but somehow made up for it to us ten times over. When we said we were still hungry she would give us her meal as she knew what it was like to go to bed hungry most days. She was a great lady and we lost her in 2005 and miss her every day.

• Love
My MUM was on of 25 kids & the second eldest, Luckily they didn't all live as she had 5 sets of twins & only 2 lived out of the 10.So is it any wonder that she had only me? She spent her childhood looking after her Mum & siblings along with the oldest sister Edith.Mums are wonderful & mine was the best helping me to be a self sufficient person who can always find something to keep me occupied & happy in my own company , in fact I prefer it to socializing. Which is why I loved Lock-down during COVID. I lost both her & Dad in 1970. & miss them both so much. But MUM the most although I was a Daddies girl when growing up during the war when he was too old to serve. He was the one who taught me to garden & how to shoot a gun. A skill I have not had to resort too luckily enough . I have out lived both of them in years by 26 years. So I put that down to coming to Australia .

Last edited:
My dearly beloved mother brought me up during the war while my father was away fighting the Jerries and one of the early memories I have is,we were living in Colwyn Bay and I can remember her taking me down to the beach one evening and we watched a huge bonfire across the bay and she told me that was Liverpool burning,apparantly I learned later the city had suffered a devastating bombing from the Germans.She was there for me all the time until she passed away in 1988.I still love her and miss her even after all this time
RIP the loveliest person I have ever known.

Dear SDC Team
I would like to pay my tribute to the best creation ever - a noble soul called Mother:

Ne’er for once worried us when she panted

‘cause she was a tough one who never fell sick

Ne’er for once we praised her dress sense

For we wanted her to shine in front of others

Little did we know she’d never had time to think of herself

Ne’er for once we praised her tasty cuisine

For we expected her to dish out better than that

Little did we know that she had only what’s left

We’ve made fun of her clumsiness

For we wished her to be perfect

Little did we realise that we were not perfect either

We’ve cracked jokes at her expense

For we desired her to silently consume it

Little did we know that we have only hurt her

We’ve always taken her for granted

But today’s the day for us to make up

And repay the unrequited love

By wishing our Dear Mom

‘Happy Mother’s Day’

And put a smile on the brave face

• Love
Reactions: TriciaR and Reet
My mum was always there for me through thick and thin….
After my father passed away, she made sure that I still continued at boarding school, taking a job just so she could fulfil my dads wishes that I have the best education possible.
She helped me weather the backlash I received after having an affair with a married man ( who later became my husband and my mum’s favourite son in law…she only had one). My mum gave me away when I married, she always said that it was a honour to do do this for me, but it was a honour to have her do it for me.
She always told me that a mother’s love knows no bounds….I could never repay her for all she ever did for me.
Mum passed away five years ago, it still feels like it was yesterday, and I will love ❤️ her endless until the day I pass

Last edited:
  • Love
My mum was always there for me through thick and thin….
After my father passed away, she made sure that I still continued at boarding school, taking a job just so she could fulfil my dads wishes that I have the best education possible.
She helped me weather the backlash I received after having an affair with a married man ( who later became my husband and my mum’s favourite son in law…she only had one). My mum gave me away when I married, she always said that it was a honour to do do this for me, but it was a honour to have her do it for me.
She always told me that a mother’s love knows no bounds….I could never repay her for all she ever did for me.
Mum passed away five years ago, it still feels like it was yesterday, and I will love ❤️ her endless until the day I pass
You will find she will live on in your heart for ever.