Cash clash: ALDI's card-only checkouts spark fury amidst pro-cash movement

In a world that's rapidly embracing digital transactions, the humble cash payment is feeling increasingly sidelined.

This sentiment was palpable among a group of pro-cash advocates when a photo from a Melbourne ALDI store hit social media, igniting a fiery debate about the future of cash payments in Australia.

The image, shared by a member of the Call Out Cashless Businesses social media group, captured the starkly deserted self-serve checkout area at the Keysborough ALDI store.

The reason? These self-serve registers accept only card payments, a policy that applies to ALDI stores nationwide.

The photo's caption highlighted that, in protest, customers were opting to queue at the manned registers, shunning the self-serve option altogether.

‘ALDI Keysborough. All self-serve are card only and all are empty. Everyone queued at registers,’ the caption read.

image (33).png
Pro-cash supporters slammed ALDI for its card-only self-serve registers at a Melbourne store. Credits: Facebook / Call Out Cashless Businesses

The group's reaction was swift and heated.

‘Who the f*** do all these cashless businesses think they are dictating to all Australians?’ one member commented.

‘We the people want the choice of card or cash—if they don’t like it leave or dissolve their business. We have had enough of all this c***.’

Another said, ‘Come on ALDI…Stay the favourite! DON’T go where the others have gone.’

‘Same at Mildura now. But not being used yet because it’s not ready to go. I told the cashier that I’d rather line up for half an hour than use them,’ a third shared.

‘ALDI WAS the only supermarket here without self serve. Not anymore unfortunately.’

‘Well done not using self serve this is the best way to show them we don’t want to use card or self serve’ another commenter stated.

Many proponents of cash use urged fellow Australians to refrain from using self-serve registers and card-only payment methods.

‘Great to see! If people boycott all of them in every store and wait patiently for personal customer service, ALDI will get the message,’ one pointed out.

‘Wish people would do this at Coles and Woolies,’ another remarked.

‘We need everyone to do this. Avoid using self service at all costs! I’ve left an entire trolley of goods at Coles Clayton when the two lazy staff members didn’t want to serve me and said for me to self checkout. I said “pig’s a***” and walked away. They had to put away all the stuff I was going to purchase up until that moment,’ a third recounted.

‘I stayed and waited for a register. I used cash today. Let’s do this!’ another agreed.

In response to the uproar, Hayden Pierce, ALDI Australia's Director of National Store Operations, stated that staffed checkouts will always be accessible for customers who prefer to pay with cash.

‘ALDI stores will continue to operate with both self-checkouts and staffed checkouts, so customers will still be able to choose the option they prefer,’ he explained.

‘Customers can ask an ALDI employee to open a staffed checkout if there is not one already available. All self-checkouts will accept card only to maximise efficiencies and eliminate the additional complexity involved with cash self-checkouts.’

‘If customers choose to pay with cash, they can ask an ALDI employee to open a staffed checkout if there is not one already available,’ Mr Pierce continued.

As the pro-cash movement gains momentum, ALDI faced scrutiny after a photo surfaced revealing the removal of cash payment signs at their self-serve checkouts.

This move sparked outrage among supporters of cash transactions, leading to renewed calls for consumer action.

In a parallel development, the pro-cash movement intensified its efforts, urging Australians to boycott major supermarket chains, Coles and Woolworths, in favour of establishments that continue to support cash transactions.

The intersection of these events highlights a growing tension between traditional payment methods and the push towards a cashless society, prompting consumers to reconsider their shopping habits and advocate for their preferred payment options.
Key Takeaways
  • Pro-cash supporters criticised ALDI for the card-only self-serve registers at one Melbourne store.
  • A photograph shared by a member of a social media group shows empty self-serve checkouts at ALDI Keysborough, with customers queuing for manned registers instead.
  • Many members of the group expressed their preference for the option to use cash and their opposition to self-serve registers, with some calling for a boycott.
  • ALDI Australia confirmed that staffed checkouts for cash payments will always be available and customers can request to use them.
Have you felt pressured to abandon cash for a card? Do you support the stance of the ALDI pro-cash shoppers? We encourage you to share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored