Shocking treatment: Coles cashier's demand left cancer patient feeling ‘violated’ at checkout

Tony Jones, a 39-year-old Queensland resident and cancer patient, was left feeling 'violated' and 'like a criminal' after a distressing incident at his local Coles supermarket.

Mr Jones, who has been battling bowel cancer, was asked to lift his shirt at the self-serve checkout by a staff member who suspected him of shoplifting.

Mr Jones' battle with bowel cancer has left him with a large hernia and a stoma, a surgically created opening in the abdomen that allows bowel movements.

To hide his hernia, Jones wears shirts that are three to four sizes larger than his usual size.

However, during a recent shopping trip to Coles, a staff member mistook his hernia for concealed stolen goods and asked him to lift his shirt in front of other customers.

compressed-shutterstock_1504420667 (1).jpeg
Tony Jones was suspected of theft in a Coles store. Image source: Shutterstock

Mr Jones described the incident as leaving him feeling violated.

'I have a stoma from bowel cancer a few years ago, had my entire bowel removed and then in late 2022 had a blockage so had to have emergency surgery, after that, I developed a very large hernia,' he explained.

‘Going through Coles self-checkout and as I go to pay, the worker says from across the self-checkout section, “And what about what’s under your shirt?” as she walks up to me—very accusatory tone like she was happy that she had caught me, loud enough that anyone at self-checkout knew,’ he recalled.

'I was shocked but wanted out of there, so just lifted my shirt to show my stoma bag and the hernia,’ Mr Jones admitted.

‘I suppose I could have argued, but I already hate my body, I hate the stoma and stoma bag (I find it disgusting), and the hernia causes a lot of pain, and I detest how I look so just wanted out,’ he confessed.

The Coles worker immediately apologised upon realising her mistake, but the damage was done.

Mr Jones, who worked in retail for over 14 years before his illness, was left feeling humiliated and distressed by the incident. He also expressed his disappointment at the accusatory tone of the staff member and the assumption of guilt.

‘It was quick, but it’s really left me shocked that they can take such an accusatory tone and sound so proud of themselves for it like they were waiting to catch a thief,’ Mr Jones shared.

‘The size of the bulge is very big, you’d have to be a complete moron if you were stealing something and showing something this big under your shirt,’ he added.

‘But having my hernia and, more so, my stoma bag on display for everyone who was looking as she hadn’t said it quietly was embarrassing and, yeah, I feel very weird right now, I guess,’ Mr Jones said.

In response to the incident, Coles offered Mr Jones a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager.

However, he felt that the gesture was insufficient, stating, 'It’s a bit weird of a feeling to have a dollar value put on emotional distress.'

‘Honestly, I wish it would go higher than the store level as even reading the replies (online) to my experience, it seems like Coles themselves seem to have an issue at its core with people speaking about the new (security) gates and such as well,’ Mr Jones continued.

‘Coles seems to be fostering the idea that we are criminals who are guilty until proven innocent.’

When Mr Jones was asked, he said he didn't think the Coles team member in question should be let go. He just hopes other retail workers can learn from what happened.

A Coles spokesperson addressed the incident in a statement, saying, ‘We are disappointed to hear about this customer’s experience and earlier today, we spoke directly to our customer and apologised for this incident.’

‘Coles is committed to creating an inclusive environment for our customers and team members, and apologise again that this didn’t occur on this occasion,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper felt ‘violated’ after being asked to lift his shirt at the checkout, as a staff member suspected him of shoplifting.
  • The customer, who is battling cancer, was wearing an oversized shirt to conceal a hernia and a stoma.
  • The supermarket chain has offered the customer a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager for the embarrassing incident.
  • Coles has expressed disappointment in the incident, stating that their aim is to treat customers with respect and provide courteous service, and they are committed to creating an inclusive environment.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you or someone you know experienced similar treatment in a retail store? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Disgraceful!! I also have a stoma for about 14 months. I have always been concerned about this happening. If it ever does, I will tell them that I have a stoma, or ostomy, and make sure everyone hears. Then they can call the cops....I'll wait, or a supervisor, and I will insist on a private room if they must see it!

This kind of thing happens as a result of poor training.
The first full time job I held was in a Personnel department of a large department store.
Going back 55 years ago, pre work training was absolutely paramount.
My department head was an amazing lady who left the Air Force to work in retail. She taught me a lot about customer communication and how to teach new employees before they were permitted to deal with customers.
There was nothing about customers always being right. The training concentrated on courtesy and treating everyone with dignity and respect.
That was then, this is now.
No more do customers seem to earn any common courtesy.
I do not lay blame on the people on the coal face trying to make a living. I point the finger at the lack of care on the, part of proprietors. The human factor is being gobbled upin this digital age. You get to feel like a sheep being herded.
I miss the old days.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Well, you're in the wrong. Clearly publicised that it is a condition of entry that your bag be searched if requested and must say neither I nor my ex were never asked and as we never had anything to hide why would we make a big deal out of it. Too many people take this privacy thing too far.
You are sadly mistaken. Refer to the individual state's laws with regard to privacy laws. Come back to me with anything legally binding.

Another know all nothing.

Reactions: Midnight Toker
This kind of thing happens as a result of poor training.
The first full time job I held was in a Personnel department of a large department store.
Going back 55 years ago, pre work training was absolutely paramount.
My department head was an amazing lady who left the Air Force to work in retail. She taught me a lot about customer communication and how to teach new employees before they were permitted to deal with customers.
There was nothing about customers always being right. The training concentrated on courtesy and treating everyone with dignity and respect.
That was then, this is now.
No more do customers seem to earn any common courtesy.
I do not lay blame on the people on the coal face trying to make a living. I point the finger at the lack of care on the, part of proprietors. The human factor is being gobbled upin this digital age. You get to feel like a sheep being herded.
I miss the old days.
Your replies are the best. An educated woman!

Reactions: MariaG
These people are taught to treat everyone with suspicion. A shop assistant may ask, if they suspect anything, but any investigation MUST take place in a room separate from the public. If the person refuses and walks out, they cannot physically restrain anyone, unless they are Police. And why would someone put their life on the line to stop someone from stealing $15 worth of fatty chops? Some shoplifters are desperate and often affected by substances. If i was working in retail, i would be stepping to one side, and wishing them a good day. i want to go home to my family at the end of my working day.

I'll never use a self checkout and I'll never allow a supermarket employee to search my bag.

If you're not sure, don't make loud accusations, just quietly approach with common sense, sounds like you've never been ill, it's coming you cold hearted b@#$h and when it does you'll change your tune.
Do not assume ANYTHING! Ive been through more than you will EVER go through but I don't broadcast it on social media!
If you're not sure, don't make loud accusations, just quietly approach with common sense, sounds like you've never been ill, it's coming you cold hearted b@#$h and when it does you'll change your tune.

I'll never use a self checkout and I'll never allow a supermarket employee to search my bag.
You don't have a choice re bag search as they have signs that state it's part of accepting entry into the store, if you have nothing to hide why should it bother you?

)
The Cole’s worker made it so embarrassing for the man by raising her voice to Make a fool of the man No doubt they all had a good laugh after it all How did she know he was stealing and after deeing what was under his shirt Just snotty and turn away how do you think the poor customer felt all the staff smirking as they will if he came back seriously Lisa how would it be if it was you
Wow and YOU seriously need some psych help with that ridiculous answer..you HAVE NO IDEA unless you have worked at Coles how the training goes...please think next time before you make wild accusations that could in all real terms be classified as slander!!

At the end of the day the Cole’s worker will show up for work and couldn’t care less training is one thing how about common sense and where was the manager But to coldly accuse and get everyone’s attention in a express ereaand oh sorry and walk away have a good laugh about it later with your colleagues

Do not assume ANYTHING! Ive been through more than you will EVER go through but I don't broadcast it on social media!

You don't have a choice re bag search as they have signs that state it's part of accepting entry into the store, if you have nothing to hide why should it bother you?
It’s not a ordinary bag it’s a stoma herinia wake up

it is disgusting behaviour by coles , and by rights he was in the store and could have said no, as they can only wait till someone is outside to accuse them of steaaling, as if this man did not have enough problems as it was, i think she needs firing as she made sure people were listening to her accuse him, im afraid coles need to up there game and teach employees the right way to handle things ,

Reactions: pascoevale
My own recent experience of Cole’s’ “Customer Service” below. Whilst not as humiliating it is a symptom of the attitude to customers by big retail:
Coles, you have gone too far. I was just up at my local Coles, Wanniassa, doing a post Christmas top up, toilet paper, detergent etc. It was a large enough shop that I had taken the precaution of a trolley, not keen to test the back too much. Shopping complete, I longingly looked at the only open checkout- a line of larger trolleys than mine snaked their way back through the aisles. Disappointed, I proceeded to the self-check out and proceeded to start scanning my items. The young assistant took a break from the help she was giving another customer to interrupt me and request that I scan the bulky items first.
“I beg your pardon??” I enquired.
Patiently, she repeated
“You need to scan the bulky items first!”
“Are you kidding???” I responded incredulously
“Not only do I have to scan and pack my own groceries- I now have to do it “the Coles way”!!!”
“Yes” she replied, “it’s our store policy.”
With that I immediately requested to speak to the manager. She duly presented herself and I told her that I thought that since I was doing all the work I was within my rights to scan and pack my shopping any way I wanted!
She reiterated that it came from above and they were only following instructions passing the message onto customers.
I helpfully suggested to her that if they wanted things packed the Coles way they should open more serviced checkouts!
You might think I was pretty vocal for someone who was supposedly speechless, but I didn’t even get to say half of what I will now!
Customer service- we now have to
Provide our own bags or pay extra for paper bags- these used to be provided free of charge, old boxes were also provided for large shops and guess what? You weren’t expected to scan or pack them yourself!!! There was often an obliging young chap to help you lift it into the car- all of this at no additional cost- just part of the Service.
Fellow Shoppers we must unite 🇦🇺 say no to the tyranny of the self serve!!! We must create a Union of Disgruntled Customers to restore the notion of Customer Service!! I will be taking expressions of interest…..

My own recent experience of Cole’s’ “Customer Service” below. Whilst not as humiliating it is a symptom of the attitude to customers by big retail:
Coles, you have gone too far. I was just up at my local Coles, Wanniassa, doing a post Christmas top up, toilet paper, detergent etc. It was a large enough shop that I had taken the precaution of a trolley, not keen to test the back too much. Shopping complete, I longingly looked at the only open checkout- a line of larger trolleys than mine snaked their way back through the aisles. Disappointed, I proceeded to the self-check out and proceeded to start scanning my items. The young assistant took a break from the help she was giving another customer to interrupt me and request that I scan the bulky items first.
Patiently, she repeated
“Not only do I have to scan and pack my own groceries- I now have to do it “the Coles way”!!!”
With that I immediately requested to speak to the manager. She duly presented herself and I told her that I thought that since I was doing all the work I was within my rights to scan and pack my shopping any way I wanted!
She reiterated that it came from above and they were only following instructions passing the message onto customers.
I helpfully suggested to her that if they wanted things packed the Coles way they should open more serviced checkouts!
You might think I was pretty vocal for someone who was supposedly speechless, but I didn’t even get to say half of what I will now!
Provide our own bags or pay extra for paper bags- these used to be provided free of charge, old boxes were also provided for large shops and guess what? You weren’t expected to scan or pack them yourself!!! There was often an obliging young chap to help you lift it into the car- all of this at no additional cost- just part of the Service.
Fellow Shoppers we must unite 🇦🇺 say no to the tyranny of the self serve!!! We must create a Union of Disgruntled Customers to restore the notion of Customer Service!! I will be taking expressions of interest…..
Enough to make the blood boil.
Not only are the team members poorly trained, so too is the case with powers to be.
I ask the policy makers this. If your aged mum/dad was in the same situation, would you go hands on hips and DEMAND she/he scan the Coles way? I think it would be no. Mr/Ms policy maker would most likely open a serviced checkout, let mum/dad through then shut the checkout.
Anyone with a tiny amount of common sense would realise that Mr/Mrs average has not been trained in the art of self checkout operation. It has been thrust upon us.
To have a team member, usually a junior, confront customers about scanning/packing methods, is totally beyond the pale, poor management, and confrontational. Very poor form Coles.
Looks like it's back to the drawing board with the whole organisation, from the top dog down.

Disgraceful!! I also have a stoma for about 14 months. I have always been concerned about this happening. If it ever does, I will tell them that I have a stoma, or ostomy, and make sure everyone hears. Then they can call the cops....I'll wait, or a supervisor, and I will insist on a private room if they must

I was not there obviously but for someone who works at coles to shout out from the service desk 'what about what is under your shirt' is not doing their job, in SA in the self serve section there is a person who stands there who can help you. If that person thought that this man may be hiding something under his shirt then she/he would of either spoken to him or rang up for the store manager to come and intervene. There is doing your job and there is being a rude and obnoxious person.
Exactly YOU were not there! Also they may not have SHOUTED as you put it but merely asked the question...I believe this has been blown out of all proportion by the way it was written! also the man apparently worked for them so he knows how the system works HE should have explained .

Patiently, she repeated
And guess what...THINGS CHANGE as you should already know...prices went up and service went down because its too expensive..instead of carrying on understand that the SYSTEM has changed...

This has been blown so far out of proportion...he assumed she said it in an accusing way, for gods sake when she realised ... she apologised, he has made such a huge deal out of it...it was
Coles at Maddington has gates on the self checkout and also on checkouts. My Support worker is always with me but i didnt feel well and I wanted to sit down but could not get out. I was told I had to wait till my groceries were done before being let out. I suffer severe Anxiety and PTSD and EUPD and have alot of problems dealing with crowds. This has happened since my work accident. people like me should be excused as all I wanted to do was sit down nearby and take a medication with my water to help me with my anxiety attacks but NO! These gates should never been introduced as many of us suffer some kind of medical issues. They use Security measures on meat so why not use it on other products to stop the thieves and also bring back HUMAN CHECKOUT OPERATOR!!! I used to be one and I loved serving them when I used to work for Coles. Come on COLES respect people with medical issues etc. You now treat EVERY ONE OF US AS THIEVES.
There is also a thing as online shopping too..I don't shop in store any more because I have PTSD AND ANXIETY also panic attacks quite severe so I now just shop online..no stress. If your support worker was with you there should not have been an issue DID you explain that to the operator?

Exactly YOU were not there! Also they may not have SHOUTED as you put it but merely asked the question...I believe this has been blown out of all proportion by the way it was written! also the man apparently worked for them so he knows how the system works HE should have explained .
wrong clearly stated voice raised to get attention including other staff members to all have a giggle as they do

It obviously seem Someare support the Cole’s staff wonder how you would feel change hats with the gentleman in question How would you feel it’s horrible so embarrassing and the staffer walks away mind you Woolworths ar no better

This has been blown so far out of proportion...he assumed she said it in an accusing way, for gods sake when she realised ... she apologised, he has made such a huge deal out of it...it was

There is also a thing as online shopping too..I don't shop in store any more because I have PTSD AND ANXIETY also panic attacks quite severe so I now just shop online..no stress. If your support worker was with you there should not have been an issue DID you explain that to the operator?
Wish you well Lisa better on line the way they are now would make the posted and anxiety out of control your guilty when you walk through the door

Omg what planet DO YOU LIVE ON!! this is just about a staff member who asked the question as they were taught...you obviously have no idea and are just as bad as the authors here trying to go for sensationalism! Stop and think how the staff member felt they were NOT rude but doing their job...you on the other hand are all for NOT SEEING A STAFF member doing their job...the are mot mind readers nor do they have a crystal ball...but I'll bet my money YOU DO!!
Oh Midnight Toker, keep on toking as you really don't live in the real world and don't seem to have empathy.
Just stay in your brain fog.

• Haha
Oh Midnight Toker, keep on toking as you really don't live in the real world and don't seem to have empathy.
Just stay in your brain fog.
MIC.M, Thanks for your message, but I think that you may have accidently replied to the wrong person.
I haven't made an even remotely umempathetic comment.
You may wish to reconsider your not so empathetic comment about my 'brain fog' too.
Don't worry though, it's easily done. This thread and the comments/replies are all mixed up, I'm struggling to follow it too xx.