Shocking treatment: Coles cashier's demand left cancer patient feeling ‘violated’ at checkout

Tony Jones, a 39-year-old Queensland resident and cancer patient, was left feeling 'violated' and 'like a criminal' after a distressing incident at his local Coles supermarket.

Mr Jones, who has been battling bowel cancer, was asked to lift his shirt at the self-serve checkout by a staff member who suspected him of shoplifting.

Mr Jones' battle with bowel cancer has left him with a large hernia and a stoma, a surgically created opening in the abdomen that allows bowel movements.

To hide his hernia, Jones wears shirts that are three to four sizes larger than his usual size.

However, during a recent shopping trip to Coles, a staff member mistook his hernia for concealed stolen goods and asked him to lift his shirt in front of other customers.

compressed-shutterstock_1504420667 (1).jpeg
Tony Jones was suspected of theft in a Coles store. Image source: Shutterstock

Mr Jones described the incident as leaving him feeling violated.

'I have a stoma from bowel cancer a few years ago, had my entire bowel removed and then in late 2022 had a blockage so had to have emergency surgery, after that, I developed a very large hernia,' he explained.

‘Going through Coles self-checkout and as I go to pay, the worker says from across the self-checkout section, “And what about what’s under your shirt?” as she walks up to me—very accusatory tone like she was happy that she had caught me, loud enough that anyone at self-checkout knew,’ he recalled.

'I was shocked but wanted out of there, so just lifted my shirt to show my stoma bag and the hernia,’ Mr Jones admitted.

‘I suppose I could have argued, but I already hate my body, I hate the stoma and stoma bag (I find it disgusting), and the hernia causes a lot of pain, and I detest how I look so just wanted out,’ he confessed.

The Coles worker immediately apologised upon realising her mistake, but the damage was done.

Mr Jones, who worked in retail for over 14 years before his illness, was left feeling humiliated and distressed by the incident. He also expressed his disappointment at the accusatory tone of the staff member and the assumption of guilt.

‘It was quick, but it’s really left me shocked that they can take such an accusatory tone and sound so proud of themselves for it like they were waiting to catch a thief,’ Mr Jones shared.

‘The size of the bulge is very big, you’d have to be a complete moron if you were stealing something and showing something this big under your shirt,’ he added.

‘But having my hernia and, more so, my stoma bag on display for everyone who was looking as she hadn’t said it quietly was embarrassing and, yeah, I feel very weird right now, I guess,’ Mr Jones said.

In response to the incident, Coles offered Mr Jones a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager.

However, he felt that the gesture was insufficient, stating, 'It’s a bit weird of a feeling to have a dollar value put on emotional distress.'

‘Honestly, I wish it would go higher than the store level as even reading the replies (online) to my experience, it seems like Coles themselves seem to have an issue at its core with people speaking about the new (security) gates and such as well,’ Mr Jones continued.

‘Coles seems to be fostering the idea that we are criminals who are guilty until proven innocent.’

When Mr Jones was asked, he said he didn't think the Coles team member in question should be let go. He just hopes other retail workers can learn from what happened.

A Coles spokesperson addressed the incident in a statement, saying, ‘We are disappointed to hear about this customer’s experience and earlier today, we spoke directly to our customer and apologised for this incident.’

‘Coles is committed to creating an inclusive environment for our customers and team members, and apologise again that this didn’t occur on this occasion,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper felt ‘violated’ after being asked to lift his shirt at the checkout, as a staff member suspected him of shoplifting.
  • The customer, who is battling cancer, was wearing an oversized shirt to conceal a hernia and a stoma.
  • The supermarket chain has offered the customer a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager for the embarrassing incident.
  • Coles has expressed disappointment in the incident, stating that their aim is to treat customers with respect and provide courteous service, and they are committed to creating an inclusive environment.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you or someone you know experienced similar treatment in a retail store? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think it is disgusting. How dare the staff member approach him in front of other people like that. She should be dismissed & Coles should give him a better voucher for the humiliation he went through. Shame on them!

I hope the staff member was spoken to as to being more tactful. My grandson was born with a very rare syndrome and rather than keep him in hospital, they were given the necessary equipment so that they could drain his chest when needed. Every time they had to have their bags checked.

Sorry this had to happen to him, but the staff member was only doing their job! You got an apology, they are not mind readers, and had you explained that to them to start with this would NOT be blown out of all proportion also why make a huge thing about being "violated" etc it was only a simple mistake of the worker just doing their job! Stop sensationalism.
Cant believe your attitude. The staff behaviour was disgusting as was your comment. It's not sensationalism at all to expect to have some decency and respect. If you condone this I pity you as you have no heart.

Reactions: Midnight Toker
Sorry this had to happen to him, but the staff member was only doing their job! You got an apology, they are not mind readers, and had you explained that to them to start with this would NOT be blown out of all proportion also why make a huge thing about being "violated" etc it was only a simple mistake of the worker just doing their job! Stop sensationalism.
I disagree Lisa, under ANY circumstances if I were accused of theft, I would demand police presence and charges being laid. If then vindicated I would be sueing Coles for wrongful detainment etc They go entirely too far. If the chap in question had refused to lift his shirt, then what????

Reactions: Bogg

LISA. Hopefully as you mature, you will learn Compassion and how to have Basic Respect for others. An apology is just words. I hope this man takes it further as that behaviour And Attitude is NOT acceptable in ANY way shape or form!
Assumption he was stealing And a disgusting way to check! I hope she has Learnt something and will cease her 'Guilty till proven Innocent attitude!

My Mum had a stoma from bowel cancer and I know only too well what a devastating experience that would have been for Mr Jones. My heart goes out to him.
Shame on the Coles worker and on all supermarkets for creating the horrid atmosphere that is Shopping these days … it’s their greed that has caused the influx of shoplifting!

I think that is absolutely abominable. Stores are making such massive profits and I also think the way they stack shelves near checkouts with things that are placed at child height to attract children to take them should be considered a blatant attempt to get children to take them

I'll never use a self checkout and I'll never allow a supermarket employee to search my bag.
I quite agree and I refused an aggressive assistant to check my bag and I was banned from the store. I felt awful but I did not feel it appropriate for me to have to show what was in my bag. I was a bit raw because I said “even my husband doesn’t search my bag” and my husband had died that week. I suggested that they use cameras to identify shoplifters and shame these people with photos of who they had seen taking items. That’s a better way of identifying thrived rather than making everyone feel guilty or embarrassed it’s not enough to say if you have nothing to hide you shouldn’t worry. It’s an invasion of our privacy to search everyone

Lisa you want to have a better understanding of where people are coming from You obviously have no idea of the humiliation this fellow felt and what is happening in people’s personal lives. I think I have met officious shop assistants like you and it doesn’t make me feel like shopping where you work

I quite agree and I refused an aggressive assistant to check my bag and I was banned from the store. I felt awful but I did not feel it appropriate for me to have to show what was in my bag. I was a bit raw because I said “even my husband doesn’t search my bag” and my husband had died that week. I suggested that they use cameras to identify shoplifters and shame these people with photos of who they had seen taking items. That’s a better way of identifying thrived rather than making everyone feel guilty or embarrassed it’s not enough to say if you have nothing to hide you shouldn’t worry. It’s an invasion of our privacy to search everyone
I fully agree - they seem to be on a power trip! I wonder how they would feel if their parents where put thru the same thing at a store when they went shopping!

Lisa you want to have a better understanding of where people are coming from You obviously have no idea of the humiliation this fellow felt and what is happening in people’s personal lives. I think I have met officious shop assistants like you and it doesn’t make me feel like shopping where you work
Another correct statement - shop assistants need to also think before they speak. The management who are training some of these very young workers, need to pull their heads in - it's not a competition to see who can catch the most thiefs!

Coles at Maddington has gates on the self checkout and also on checkouts. My Support worker is always with me but i didnt feel well and I wanted to sit down but could not get out. I was told I had to wait till my groceries were done before being let out. I suffer severe Anxiety and PTSD and EUPD and have alot of problems dealing with crowds. This has happened since my work accident. people like me should be excused as all I wanted to do was sit down nearby and take a medication with my water to help me with my anxiety attacks but NO! These gates should never been introduced as many of us suffer some kind of medical issues. They use Security measures on meat so why not use it on other products to stop the thieves and also bring back HUMAN CHECKOUT OPERATOR!!! I used to be one and I loved serving them when I used to work for Coles. Come on COLES respect people with medical issues etc. You now treat EVERY ONE OF US AS THIEVES.
Yes get rid of the gates and stick them in your own house where you can play these stupid games with yourselves!

Mr Jones should take this very serious issue further… straight to court 😡😡😡
What a humiliating, disgraceful display of intimidation against a person who was simply going about his shopping. I really hope he walked out and left his goods there after that shocking intervention. The Coles employee in question should be moved on - out the back to the loading dock, if not let go completely. To add insult to injury the offering of a $100 gift card was demeaning and totally inappropriate. I’m devastated by this story and I really believe Mr Jones should find a lawyer - Shine Lawyers have a no-win no-fee policy and Coles need to be held accountable for their over the top filthy tactics against Mr Jones.
I agree, seek legal advice, and good luck - it has been going on for too long now - the way customers are now being treated - the innocent ones are being targeted, whilst i have seen shoplifters that have just walked out the store, when i asked a worker about this, they advised they could not ask to see their bags due to the nature of the retaliation they may get - but they could get this from anyone who was wrongly targeted, a verbal altercation!

I agree about Coles on the

On the 23rd of January i was walking up the isle in Coles whith a trolleya large one as there never seems to be small ones when my knee gave way and i hit the floor.i am 80 years young i was crying ,felt like i was going to faint persperation running down my face .I struggled to pull myself up and the pain was unbearable .I used my big toe and the trolley to get me to the checkout as there were no staff around.A man behind me put my groceries onto the counter .I then proceeded to try and get to my entrance .An Employee on the service desk looked at me and turned away. A young lady asked if i was ok and took my trolley to my car . I ended in Hospital with a Medial Meniscus tear and a sprain .Iwas in Hospital for 7 days my knee was like a balloon.My Dr who does knee replacements said at the moment no Surgeon would touch my knee as it is so bad .He said i will hopefully recover in 3 months .The pain is unbearable. I sent a complaint to Head Office of Coles receiving a reply that they were looking into it .I told them they have cameras and if they had staff instead of those do it yourself checkouts maybe some one might have helped me .So good -bye Coles for me .
You should seek advice to see if you can go further with this incident - the facts and evidence of your accident would be clearly visible on camera, and your Hospital Report, which states the injuries that you have received. This may help with your personal injury claim, and staff training in Coles.

Last edited:
Omg what planet DO YOU LIVE ON!! this is just about a staff member who asked the question as they were taught...you obviously have no idea and are just as bad as the authors here trying to go for sensationalism! Stop and think how the staff member felt they were NOT rude but doing their job...you on the other hand are all for NOT SEEING A STAFF member doing their job...the are not mind readers nor do they have a crystal ball...but I'll bet my money YOU DO!!
You wouldn't need a crystal ball - it's called common sense not to yell out over customers, in asking what else have you got under your shirt!

I think that this incident is completely rude
What happened to customer service, staff need to be more discreet on how they approach people.
My daughter was accused of not paying for her groceries at a coles store.
She was targeted because of her body art.
We wished we took it further
That would have been a good thing to do - discrimination is what it is called!

LISA. Hopefully as you mature, you will learn Compassion and how to have Basic Respect for others. An apology is just words. I hope this man takes it further as that behaviour And Attitude is NOT acceptable in ANY way shape or form!
Assumption he was stealing And a disgusting way to check! I hope she has Learnt something and will cease her 'Guilty till proven Innocent attitude!
I think Lisa may actually be the Coles worker in question with an attitude like that or just a spoiled Gen X

Reactions: pascoevale