Shocking treatment: Coles cashier's demand left cancer patient feeling ‘violated’ at checkout

Tony Jones, a 39-year-old Queensland resident and cancer patient, was left feeling 'violated' and 'like a criminal' after a distressing incident at his local Coles supermarket.

Mr Jones, who has been battling bowel cancer, was asked to lift his shirt at the self-serve checkout by a staff member who suspected him of shoplifting.

Mr Jones' battle with bowel cancer has left him with a large hernia and a stoma, a surgically created opening in the abdomen that allows bowel movements.

To hide his hernia, Jones wears shirts that are three to four sizes larger than his usual size.

However, during a recent shopping trip to Coles, a staff member mistook his hernia for concealed stolen goods and asked him to lift his shirt in front of other customers.

compressed-shutterstock_1504420667 (1).jpeg
Tony Jones was suspected of theft in a Coles store. Image source: Shutterstock

Mr Jones described the incident as leaving him feeling violated.

'I have a stoma from bowel cancer a few years ago, had my entire bowel removed and then in late 2022 had a blockage so had to have emergency surgery, after that, I developed a very large hernia,' he explained.

‘Going through Coles self-checkout and as I go to pay, the worker says from across the self-checkout section, “And what about what’s under your shirt?” as she walks up to me—very accusatory tone like she was happy that she had caught me, loud enough that anyone at self-checkout knew,’ he recalled.

'I was shocked but wanted out of there, so just lifted my shirt to show my stoma bag and the hernia,’ Mr Jones admitted.

‘I suppose I could have argued, but I already hate my body, I hate the stoma and stoma bag (I find it disgusting), and the hernia causes a lot of pain, and I detest how I look so just wanted out,’ he confessed.

The Coles worker immediately apologised upon realising her mistake, but the damage was done.

Mr Jones, who worked in retail for over 14 years before his illness, was left feeling humiliated and distressed by the incident. He also expressed his disappointment at the accusatory tone of the staff member and the assumption of guilt.

‘It was quick, but it’s really left me shocked that they can take such an accusatory tone and sound so proud of themselves for it like they were waiting to catch a thief,’ Mr Jones shared.

‘The size of the bulge is very big, you’d have to be a complete moron if you were stealing something and showing something this big under your shirt,’ he added.

‘But having my hernia and, more so, my stoma bag on display for everyone who was looking as she hadn’t said it quietly was embarrassing and, yeah, I feel very weird right now, I guess,’ Mr Jones said.

In response to the incident, Coles offered Mr Jones a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager.

However, he felt that the gesture was insufficient, stating, 'It’s a bit weird of a feeling to have a dollar value put on emotional distress.'

‘Honestly, I wish it would go higher than the store level as even reading the replies (online) to my experience, it seems like Coles themselves seem to have an issue at its core with people speaking about the new (security) gates and such as well,’ Mr Jones continued.

‘Coles seems to be fostering the idea that we are criminals who are guilty until proven innocent.’

When Mr Jones was asked, he said he didn't think the Coles team member in question should be let go. He just hopes other retail workers can learn from what happened.

A Coles spokesperson addressed the incident in a statement, saying, ‘We are disappointed to hear about this customer’s experience and earlier today, we spoke directly to our customer and apologised for this incident.’

‘Coles is committed to creating an inclusive environment for our customers and team members, and apologise again that this didn’t occur on this occasion,’ they added.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper felt ‘violated’ after being asked to lift his shirt at the checkout, as a staff member suspected him of shoplifting.
  • The customer, who is battling cancer, was wearing an oversized shirt to conceal a hernia and a stoma.
  • The supermarket chain has offered the customer a $100 gift voucher and an apology from the store manager for the embarrassing incident.
  • Coles has expressed disappointment in the incident, stating that their aim is to treat customers with respect and provide courteous service, and they are committed to creating an inclusive environment.

What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Have you or someone you know experienced similar treatment in a retail store? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
While the staffer had obviously jumped to a (false) conclusion, that she acted on it with a “holier than thou” attitude was a very “beginner” mistake, and learning from that will be a significant step in continuing her career.

One factor almost completely absent from many public situations is empathy. Every person in this world is different to every other — the differences are not always obvious, yet they are always there.

This is not being helped by self-check-outs. From a human register operator, you often get quiet advice, compromises in difficult situations, questions answered, and so on; in contrast, a machine either works, or it doesn’t, end of story.

Our local KMart, a few years ago, was internally reorganised so the registers are now about in the middle of the store, very much blurring the physical boundary between “store owns” and “customer owns.”

To add to this collection of incoherence, being the “middle man” (shop assistant, whatever the gender) is not as easy as it may seem. People in remote offices — who don’t have to deal personally with the consequences of their actions — make decisions about how things are done, and often not even the store manager can override those. This includes arbitrarily deciding to rearrange everything in the store, so items which were once in known, familiar locations are suddenly in completely different areas.

If you think that is incoherent, at a local store last year my spouse — as she was walking in — watched a woman pushing a full shopping trolley out through the “entrance” to her car in the adjacent car-park, where she began transferring goods (unpaid for, of course).

She pointed this out to front desk — who were not allowed to intervene. A staffer unobtrusively took some phone-photos of the car (license plate showing), the woman, and the shopping, which they would then send off to the police.
A great analysis of the subject at hand! Thank you @austux and welcome aboard for funtime!

How disgusting and emotional that a smart …….. employee can treat anyone like that. They should have taken this person to the office and spoke to him. unfortunately we cannot trust anyone in a shop anymore as we are always going to be put through a rough time for nothing.
I was at Aldi last week and the girl at the checkout wanted to see my empty bag. The bag was wide open and you could see in it. But in her way she accused me of stealing. After a few words she made no apology but instead she charged me twice for a $2.00 jar of gerkins. i normally check
the receipt but this time she upset me so I just left. After getting home I checked and I only had one jar. So I tried to call no phones no emails not nothing. In the end I found an email and made a compliant. So now I have to go back to the same place to get my money back. All I want is a credit.
Where can we shop to feel safe and comfortable and not be treated like a thief .

Coles at Maddington has gates on the self checkout and also on checkouts. My Support worker is always with me but i didnt feel well and I wanted to sit down but could not get out. I was told I had to wait till my groceries were done before being let out. I suffer severe Anxiety and PTSD and EUPD and have alot of problems dealing with crowds. This has happened since my work accident. people like me should be excused as all I wanted to do was sit down nearby and take a medication with my water to help me with my anxiety attacks but NO! These gates should never been introduced as many of us suffer some kind of medical issues. They use Security measures on meat so why not use it on other products to stop the thieves and also bring back HUMAN CHECKOUT OPERATOR!!! I used to be one and I loved serving them when I used to work for Coles. Come on COLES respect people with medical issues etc. You now treat EVERY ONE OF US AS THIEVES.
I totally understand. Those security gates would be the reason I wouldn't want to shop there. Anyone who had suffered from panic disorder and/or agoraphobia will know what I mean.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I don’t believe any shop employee or manager has the right to ask anyone to “lift their shirt”. If they suspect stolen goods are hidden on a person, they have to call the police.

A lot of store's presume you are guilty and have you prove innocence. They have right to search you or your bag without a warrant. In my local Coles they have the security gates which open automatically if you've bought something. Sometimes l just go in to compare prices, and leave empty handed. Then the gates don't open in the self checkout area. So now l exit the other way.

I totally feel for this customer. The staff member concerned seems either I sufficiently trained in customer contact or under pressure from Coles Or both. It seems since self checkouts have been forced on us everyone is a suspected shoplifter until proven innocent.
Wake up Coles and respect your customers without us you wouldn’t have a business.
$100 offer is not going to come near compensating for emotional upset that poor customer endured.
I will line up for service If needed. No self serve for me

I don’t believe any shop employee or manager has the right to ask anyone to “lift their shirt”. If they suspect stolen goods are hidden on a person, they have to call the police.
I agree. i Know they are unable to have physical contact and you are entitled t keep walking . I understand this poor person just wanted out of there but I wonder what would have happened if he refused.
Years ago I worked as a Rep and was in a store (not Coles) and a manager asked me to stand still as he was observing a shop lifter put a frozen chicken under their jacket. He told me then he could do no more than ask the person to put it back or call security. He could not stop the person leaving the store.

If it were me asking to see what was under his shirt it would have been done discreetly & not in an accusatory tone & the search would be done in a discreet manner the poor man did not deserve to be publicly humiliated that way how about teaching your employees a lot of better manners coles ?!!!!!!!!😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Sorry this had to happen to him, but the staff member was only doing their job! You got an apology, they are not mind readers, and had you explained that to them to start with this would NOT be blown out of all proportion also why make a huge thing about being "violated" etc it was only a simple mistake of the worker just doing their job! Stop sensationalism.
I don’t agree. It shouldn’t be anyone’s job to ask a customer to lift their shirt and expose their skin This was all very unnecessary and I think this man could seek legal action

Coles like other stores are going self serve. They have forced shoppers to do self serve, then intimate we, the shopper, has stolen from them. The gates are like being let out of prison. It is disgraceful. I refuse to use self serv and even with two/three items, I ask for service and have a staff memeber put my purchases through. I really feel for the shopper. I would have just said NO and escalated the issue, but with him having been through such traumatic health issues, it is quite confronting and not always do we have the strength to just say NO. Coles really need to look at their practices. I have switched to Woolies, but will change if they follow the same path. ALDI has installed self serve, so I am reducing my shopping in accordance with their registers. At the moment I would rather pay a little extra and go to IGA
Same could have happened through a service checkout.

I'll never use a self checkout and I'll never allow a supermarket employee to search my bag.
Well, you're in the wrong. Clearly publicised that it is a condition of entry that your bag be searched if requested and must say neither I nor my ex were never asked and as we never had anything to hide why would we make a big deal out of it. Too many people take this privacy thing too far.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
If you are ever asked for a bag search ,then all you have to do is say""ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF ATTEMPTED THEFT? FOR IF YOU ARE I WILL SUE YOU FOR DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER ETC,ETC. WATCH THEIR FACE!
Wish I still had a dog. A 10 kg bag of doggy food up my t shirt and while you are at it....check my bag. MY STOMA BAG!

This makes me so angry!!!!!

Reactions: Midnight Toker
Well, you're in the wrong. Clearly publicised that it is a condition of entry that your bag be searched if requested and must say neither I nor my ex were never asked and as we never had anything to hide why would we make a big deal out of it. Too many people take this privacy thing too far.
Thanks for letting me know I'm wrong, Alex.

I'm not wrong; I do exactly what I described.

I don't make a big deal out of it either. When I leave a shop, I just smile at the staff member and walk out. If the staff member asks to search my bag, I ask politely, "Do you think I've stolen something?" I then walk off as they stand there in silence, and I go about my business.

A shop may publish any conditions they like. That doesn't necessarily make them enforceable.

I'm in Victoria. Check out this link to Consumer Affair Victoria, and tell me again that I'm wrong.

The position is similar in other states and territories.

Just like you, I've got nothing to hide. I'm not a thief, either; a retailer can put their goods behind a counter or steer me through a checkout if they wish. Why would I let some random shop employee or security guard search me or my bag?

I'm perfectly happy for you to allow your bag to be searched. Good luck to you. That's your choice, and I'm certainly not going to be so audacious as to tell you that if you do, you're wrong.

If you're not busy tonight, do you mind if I pop around and check your pockets and have a look under your bed? You've got nothing to hide.

P.S. Sorry about that last sentence, it sounds mean. I'm just teasing you. xx

A lot of store's presume you are guilty and have you prove innocence. They have right to search you or your bag without a warrant. In my local Coles they have the security gates which open automatically if you've bought something. Sometimes l just go in to compare prices, and leave empty handed. Then the gates don't open in the self checkout area. So now l exit the other way.
Andrew, I can assure you that retailers have no right to search you or your bag, They would not be able to obtain a 'warrant' to do so either.
They may refuse your entry in the future or not serve you. They can call the police, but unless they have strong grounds to believe that you have stolen something, they'll likely end up in hot water with reputational damage plus a claim for damages.
I'm not a thief, and I won't accept being treated as one.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Sorry this had to happen to him, but the staff member was only doing their job! You got an apology, they are not mind readers, and had you explained that to them to start with this would NOT be blown out of all proportion also why make a huge thing about being "violated" etc it was only a simple mistake of the worker just doing their job! Stop sensationalism.
The staff member was making an issue of it in front of her work mates and customers raising her voice to get people’s attention and you feel sorry. She knewit was wrong how did she know he maybe shoplifting sorry she is in the wrong should be taken to court it is inexcusable and then sweep it away with oh sorry after raising a issue so everyone could hear and look to further burden the man

It’s got nothing to do with searching a bag it was not mentioned the manager should see they are trained better you don’t assume everyone that enters the store is a shop lifter which is what happens now Woolworths are no better they treat you like a crim even watching you pay and get receipts

This is the problem with these Self checkouts. Really, when you think about it, prices go up, Staff are not replaced, and we are the unpaid Check Out Personal. And unfortunately, for the Gentleman who has a Stoma and a Hernia, perhaps we need to get a medical card that states this. Similar a Diabetic has either a card or wears a disk around their neck. Which when there is high humidity the chain feels uncomfortable. My Husband had both.

Honestly - it appears that people working in retail are challenged to “catch” those they consider dishonest or thieves. But this type of attitude is so prevalent - it seems and makes everyone else feel deliberately dishonest and untrustworthy! Such a shame - so what do our children automatically think and feel!

• Love
Reactions: Milica