Is your wallet about to become obsolete? Discover when Australia plans to go completely cashless

As the digital age accelerates, Australia is on the brink of a significant financial transformation.

Experts predict that by the end of this decade, the nation will become 'functionally cashless', a shift that is stirring concern among Australians.

With the closure of hundreds of bank branches and ATMs, a recent study revealed that 71 per cent of Aussies are apprehensive about transitioning to a cashless society, with 41 per cent expressing extreme concern.

The research by payments technology company Waave highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.

compressed-online-payment-security-concept-3d-phone-bill.jpeg
A study showed that 41 per cent of Australians expressed extreme concern about moving towards a cashless society. Image source: Freepik

The fear is not unfounded, as two-thirds of Australians worry that going cashless could marginalise certain groups and worsen economic inequality.

Additionally, 58 per cent are concerned about the potential rise in banking and card fees.

Waave's Co-Founder and CEO, Ben Zyl, acknowledged that Australians are among the world's leading adopters of digital payments. However, he also recognised the legitimate fears surrounding consumer security and control within the current digital payments system.

Data theft, password complications, and exorbitant card fees and surcharges are at the forefront of these concerns.

‘There’s a lot of fear, particularly among those who can’t access alternatives or aren’t confident using technology,’ Mr Zyl stated.

The sentiment of 'cash nostalgia' is also prevalent, with nearly half of Aussies admitting they would miss the tactile experience of handling physical money.

He added: ‘Whether you’re younger or older, the psychology around cash is unique. We like the feel of it, the sense of control, and we tend to spend less when we pay in cash.’

Despite these concerns, the Reserve Bank's data indicated a decline in cash usage. Consumer cash payments plummeted from 70 per cent in 2007 to a mere 13 per cent in 2022.

In contrast, Australians made 30.2 million ATM withdrawals in January, the highest in a year, withdrawing over $9 billion, the largest amount since mid-2020.

Dr Angel Zhong, an Associate Professor of Finance at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), expects Australia to be functionally cashless by 2030.

This doesn't mean cash will vanish or lose its value; rather, consumer preference is increasingly leaning towards digital payments.

The transition is already in motion, reflecting a broader trend in consumer behaviour.

Professor Zhong is not alone in this sentiment. Finance Expert Sarah Wells also predicted that Australia will become a 'technically cashless' society in the near future.

‘All the changes we have seen have put us in a situation where we no longer need cash,’ she said.

‘There hasn’t been a requirement for it to come back out into circulation. Because people aren’t popping down and taking money out of the ATM or going to banks anymore,’ Ms Wells added.

The closure of 424 bank branches and the removal of 718 ATMs in the 12 months leading up to June 2023 further underscore this shift.

Despite this, the Big Four banks—Commonwealth, Westpac, Australian and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), and National Australia Bank (NAB)—have stated they will not go completely cashless.

As we navigate this transition, it's essential to consider the implications for all Australians, especially those who may not be as tech-savvy or who rely on cash for various reasons.

The move towards a cashless society promises convenience and efficiency but demands a thoughtful approach to ensure inclusivity and security.
Key Takeaways
  • Most Australians are concerned about the shift towards a cashless society, with research showing that 71 per cent of them are worried about the implications.
  • Concerns include the exclusion of certain demographics, exacerbation of economic inequality, and increased banking and card fees.
  • Waave, a payments technology company, highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.
  • Data from the Reserve Bank of Australia indicates a decline in cash use for consumer payments, dropping from 70 per cent in 2007 to 13 per cent in 2022, signalling a trend towards digital payment options.
How do you feel about the move towards a cashless society? Are you ready for the shift, or do you have reservations? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I spent an inordinate amount of time yesterday tryung to speak to a human at St George Bank re an email they'd sent me asking me to call them on 133330 re switching 2 of my accounts to low-fee accounts.
I could not get the "chat line" to help (it didn't understand my question). I could not get a human being to speak to and finally all that happened when I rang the number was, it ended the call.
These banks haven't a clue how to manage queries that sit "outside the box" yet they were the ones asking me to contact them!

I now need to ho to a branch to see a human being who, hopefully, can "think outside the square".

It will be a catastrophe if this happens. It is a ploy to totally control (I could be wrong with this thought but I doubt it). Also think of where we are going with electricity, if the grid goes down, which is already happening, and shops have to close their doors as there is no way of paying, unless they go back to the day where it was done manually, I doubt that also, no use running to an atm as they won’t exist or won’t be working as they run on electricity, so your without food, petrol, medicine etc. just can’t see how it will be a good outcome for anyone.

This simply is an act by government and banks to gain more control of our money, the Gov. want to see what you have and the banks just want more transaction fees. My wife had to leave her shopping at Aldi yesterday the power went down and as a consequence no registers no Efptos she had cash but they could not process it.

This simply is an act by government and banks to gain more control of our money, the Gov. want to see what you have and the banks just want more transaction fees. My wife had to leave her shopping at Aldi yesterday the power went down and as a consequence no registers no Efptos she had cash but they could not process it.
Just another reason NOT to go to Aldi

Becoming cashless will be a big problem when computers cradh or power strikes occur,resulting not being able to pay your resturant bill, supermarket bill,doctors bill and many many more every day essentials.

What is the matter with people? Stand up and be counted as cashless indicates more fees with less control. Think about charities, markets, garage sales etc, it will all suffer. Most elderly people have limited or no knowledge of electronic banking and with the scammers getting smarter it is going to be very difficult to maintain honesty throughout all systems. Let CASH continue to stay in our society.

I don't know where you are getting your information from but it is totally inaccurate. There will always be cash available even if the banks remove their ATM'S there are plenty of places where you will be able to access cash, the Post Office for example

What is the matter with people? Stand up and be counted as cashless indicates more fees with less control. Think about charities, markets, garage sales etc, it will all suffer. Most elderly people have limited or no knowledge of electronic banking and with the scammers getting smarter it is going to be very difficult to maintain honesty throughout all systems. Let CASH continue to stay in our society.
As if they give a toss.

I am very disgruntled when a 'place of retail business' tells me I have to pay by card and then they charge me extra fees (which are the bank fees for using the card) on top of what they advertise as the price. It is different if I CHOOSE to use card over cash.