Aussies are torn over this gardener’s green bin trick

As the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention, and this rings especially true in gardening, where space, resources, and efficiency are of the essence.

However, when Sydney gardener and social media personality Nathan Stafford shared his 'greatest gardening [trick] of all time,' it sparked a debate that has Aussies divided over its practicality and environmental impact.

Nathan's technique involves a simple yet seemingly effective method to manage an overflowing green bin filled with backyard trimmings.

In a video that has since gone viral, Nathan demonstrated how he empties his full green kerbside bin into a pile, then uses his lawnmower to mulch the garden waste.

Screenshot 2024-04-29 110630.png
Nathan used a lawn mower to reduce the volume of his garden waste. Image source: Facebook

By doing so, he significantly reduces the volume of the waste, allowing it to fit back into the bin with room to spare.

The video shows the bin, which was initially brimming with garden off-cuts, reduced to less than a quarter full after Nathan's intervention.

‘Is this the greatest gardening and lawn mowing [trick] that you'll ever see in your lifetime? You let me know,’ he said.

‘As you can see, there was a full green bin of gardening waste, I poured it all into a pile, and I got my lawnmower out and mulched it all up. All in all, it took me about four to five minutes in real-time, and this is the bit where I sealed the deal, I put the catcher on at the end.’

‘I've gone over it all to save my back, and here I am about to pour it all into the green bin...when I started, it was completely full—now have a look at that.’.

The video has amassed over 800,000 views and almost 20,000 interactions, with viewers chiming in with their thoughts.

Many are impressed by Nathan’s ingenuity. One viewer praised it as 'A job really WELL done,' while others shared their own experiences of using similar methods to reduce garden waste.

‘Love your tips! I used to do this when I mowed! It’s such an effortless way to get rid of piles,’ one person commented.

‘I used to do the same with large leaves and shrubs then [put it] into the compost, always had good soil,’ someone shared.

A fourth person chimed in, saying, ‘Smart idea, and that's actually good stuff for your garden beds and fruit trees.’

The benefits of such a technique are clear: it saves space in the green bin, which is particularly useful for those with smaller gardens or limited council waste collection services.

It also encourages gardeners to think about waste reduction and the potential reuse of organic material, which can be beneficial for garden beds and fruit trees.

However, not everyone is convinced that the trick is worth the effort.

Some viewers raised concerns about the cost of fuel or electricity to run the lawnmower for an extended period.

One man wrote: ‘Anyone thinking about the cost of fuel/gas used to do this? [With] my luck, my mower would break.’

Others worried about the potential for damage to the mower or the increased weight of the bin, which could pose problems for waste collection services.

‘What about the weight of the bin? Bin hydraulics are so poor they can't take mine sometimes because it's too heavy,’ they pointed out.

In fact, a recent incident in Frankston, Victoria, highlighted this issue when a Food and Garden Organics (FOGO) bin was found to be over 100 kilograms in weight, filled with dirt, and subsequently not collected.

For our members who are avid gardeners, this trick might seem like a clever way to deal with the never-ending cycle of garden maintenance.

Before you rush out to mulch your green waste, it's worth considering a few things:

1. Check with your local council's guidelines on green waste disposal and bin weight limits to avoid any issues with collection.
2. Consider the environmental cost of using a lawnmower for an extended period versus the benefits of reducing waste volume.
3. Assess the condition of your lawnmower and whether it can handle the additional workload without damage.
4. Explore other sustainable options, such as composting, which can provide a rich resource for your garden while reducing waste.

You can watch Nathan’s video here:

Source: @nathanslawnsandgardens/Instagram​

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney gardener shared a video demonstrating how to fit more garden waste into a green bin by mulching it with a lawnmower.
  • The video showing the gardening trick went viral, with many viewers impressed by the effectiveness of the method.
  • Some viewers raised concerns about the potential cost of fuel and the risk of mower damage or heavy bins that can't be lifted by garbage trucks.
  • The issue of overfilled bins was highlighted by an example in Frankston, Victoria, where a bin was left uncollected due to excessive weight from containing dirt.
Ultimately, whether Nathan's technique is a stroke of genius or a step too far is up for debate. We'd love to hear from you about your thoughts on this gardening controversy.

Have you tried a similar trick, or do you have other tips for managing garden waste? Share your stories and join the discussion in the comments below!

Sponsored
The council gladly provide extra green bins..I feel sorry for 800,000 people who have viewed the video.

The council gladly provide extra green bins..I feel sorry for 800,000 people who have viewed the video.
Be aware that most councils will then charge you for the additional bin or bins!
PS: I think that you may not need an additional bin or bins as this hack shows a full bin reduced down to one catcher full of mulched green waste and most green bins will hold at least 3 catchers full before you need another bin!

Reactions: maherdj
We mow all our pruning or put larger stuff through a mulcher. No way would we waste it by putting it in a bin, all our green waste is used as mulch saving water and plants. Only items in the green waste bin are noxious weeds.

Reactions: Roh
If I’m going to mulch I’d put it on the gardens.
(although I just sold my mulcher so mulching is out)
usually I burn all my larger cuttings..and just put the ash on the gardens.
don’t have a lot of weeds etc as I poison these.
As you can see I’m not a greenie or an enirolmentalist.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Don't put a catcher on the mower and close the flap. Then mow the grass by pulling the mower backwards. It will mulch the grass and force it into the grass and keeps the moisture in. This is good to do during summer to prevent evaporation and at the end very little waste is left.

I'd give it a dead set crack.
But I can't. I don't have a lawn or trees.
Artificial grass square out the front and pot plants around the perimeter. No mulching, or, need for a green bin.