Statewide bank branch closure triggers outrage: 'This is an outrageous decision'

A recent announcement by the Commonwealth Bank has sparked a wave of criticism and concern, particularly from a group of financial industry workers.

The decision, which is set to affect 350 staff members, has been labelled as 'disgraceful' and an abandonment of the bank's customer base, especially those in regional and remote areas.

The bank's justification for the mass closure of all 60 Bankwest branches in Western Australia is the shift towards digital banking, as Bankwest Personal Banking Manager Scott Spittles cited that 97 per cent of transactions are now conducted online.

'As part of Bankwest's transition to a digital bank, we will no longer operate a physical branch footprint,' Spittles explained.

shutterstock_1631442616.jpg
Bankwest is set to close all of its 60 branches in Western Australia. Image source: Shutterstock.

However, Finance Sector Union (FSU) President Wendy Streets and other union representatives argued that the move is a betrayal of the bank's customers.

'This is a bank that makes in excess of $10 billion profit annually,' she pointed out.

'They can afford to keep banking in regional Australia.'

Streets highlighted the challenges faced by customers outside of urban centres ahead of the widespread shutdown.

'Once you get out of cities, connectivity is a real issue…even if they've got the equipment and they know how to do (online banking), which in lots of cases they don't, the actual connectivity is an issue.'

'So, you know, we've heard stories through the banking inquiry into the closure of regional and remote branches of people having to do their banking at midnight and 1 am.'

The FSU's National Assistant Secretary, Jason Hall, emphasised the impact on these groups, stating, 'This is an outrageous decision by Bankwest, which has completely abandoned its customer base in order to cut costs and become a digital bank.'

'A range of Bankwest customers will be badly affected including the most vulnerable in our community.'

'Worst affected will be the elderly, First Nations customers, people whose first language is not English, and others who are not computer literate.'

'Maintaining a branch network costs money. But surely keeping faith with a loyal customer base is an important principle when those same customers and the banking fees they pay, have been at the core of Bankwest's profitability for many years.'

Bank bosses also reiterated that the closures could be the last straw for some of its clientele.

'I hope to keep every single one of our customers,' Spittles said.

'I absolutely respect, though, that some may see a physical branch experience as really critical to them.'

The closure will happen in phases, with the busiest branches the first to be shut down.

The exact schedule of the closures will be finalised in the coming weeks.

This news comes after the Commonwealth Bank announced the closure of three more branches across the country.

Similarly, the bank explained that this decision is a response to a progressive decline in customer demand at the affected branches.

The branches in Coogee, New South Wales, Coolangatta, Queensland, and Adelaide’s Rundle Mall in South Australia closed their doors permanently last 1 March.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Bankwest, Western Australia's oldest bank, is set on closing all 60 of its branches by the end of 2024 as it transitions to a digital-only operation.
  • The closure will impact 350 staff members.
  • The Finance Sector Union criticised the move for abandoning Bankwest's customer base.
  • Concerns about the impact on customers, particularly older Australians and those in regional areas have been raised.
Are you a Bankwest customer affected by these closures? Let us know your thoughts about this latest news below.

Sponsored
Why can’t all banks combine to service communities with a united branch. After all, it is “our” money. We don’t invest to keep “you” rich, believe it or not. We employ you to serve us, not the other way around….

All these big banks do us buy up their competitors, serve out the rule imposed in approval not the close branches for x number of years and then close them down completely.

Time for no more takeover approvals to be given. Keep the competition alive and people in jobs

We need to start a bank that is MANDATED like the VAX mandates to be a bank not owned by the big banks.They will have plenty of trained staff.People need to withdraw most of their funds from the bigger banks.Credit unions need support and protected from takeovers.My credit union has or is going digital and I will be exiting it when it does.In a previous post on this subject a member was pro Bank West maybe this will change their pro Bank West support.Suncorp now ANZ is a similar event.At election time support the parties who are pro cash pro bank and not the As oles who want to destroy our banks .Use cash where possible FREEDOM depends on it .Not everyone has a DUMB phone or can afford one Us old pharts need cash for COFFEE.

We need to start a bank that is MANDATED like the VAX mandates to be a bank not owned by the big banks.They will have plenty of trained staff.People need to withdraw most of their funds from the bigger banks.Credit unions need support and protected from takeovers.My credit union has or is going digital and I will be exiting it when it does.In a previous post on this subject a member was pro Bank West maybe this will change their pro Bank West support.Suncorp now ANZ is a similar event.At election time support the parties who are pro cash pro bank and not the As oles who want to destroy our banks .Use cash where possible FREEDOM depends on it .Not everyone has a DUMB phone or can afford one Us old pharts need cash for COFFEE.
The problem is people still feel safer with big banks.

Great ideas you came up with but I would still stay with one of the bigger banks .

Maybe they just need a shake up

Australia will have no bank branches soon, boycot I say, chsnge banks if there is one, they will do it for you at the bank, I changed from CBA to another in another state, the new bank made it so easy!.

Not everyone can do banking on line. Our senior generation who still need help with banking and need personal help when they go into a branch. Where do they go? When the communication system brakes down we are all stuffed anyway.
Where do they go? To the post Office, a facility that has been available for decades. They are the people who have very simple banking needs, all they want to do is withdraw cash, the PO does this free of charge.

Why would they not close branches all over the country, they make even more profit that way. Disgraceful conduct by the major player. Not everyone can access the digital world easily or at all. I feel for those employees also. Gov' talks about people going regional for housing etc' but a lot of things are not accessible regionally.

CBA is ridiculous. My son has had an account with them for decades, now they've decided he can't use internet banking without showing his ID at a branch. There is no branch within an hours car travel and he has no car. YES, CLOSE DOWN ALL YOUR BRANCHES. You might as well.

Wow, scammers are going to love this. So much easier to steal off you on line than going into a bank with a shot gun & banks don't have to be responsible.😇

CBA is ridiculous. My son has had an account with them for decades, now they've decided he can't use internet banking without showing his ID at a branch. There is no branch within an hours car travel and he has no car. YES, CLOSE DOWN ALL YOUR BRANCHES. You might as well.
Two words - Post Office

Reactions: Phyll
The problem is people still feel safer with big banks.

Great ideas you came up with but I would still stay with one of the bigger banks .

Maybe they just need a shake up
I moved to Beyond Bank eight years ago, it's a member owned bank. It's the best move I ever made.
People's blind loyalty to the Big 4 amazes me. They offer their customers no loyalty at all, offer no service and are totally focused on their profits and nothing else.

Where do they go? To the post Office, a facility that has been available for decades. They are the people who have very simple banking needs, all they want to do is withdraw cash, the PO does this free of charge.
They charge like a wounded bull. I often need $2 and $1 coins s for senior club activities. They do not have an eftpos machine. The men’s shed rely on the $2 donation for morning tea. They don’t come out of a ATM