Is your local bank shutting down? Westpac announces more branch closures

As the digital age continues to reshape how we live and work, the banking sector is not immune to changes.

In a move that reflects the shift towards online banking, Westpac, one of Australia's 'big four' banks, has announced a new round of branch closures.

Westpac, with a market capitalisation of $93 billion, has confirmed that it will be closing four subsidiary Bank of Melbourne branches located in Broadmeadows, Airport West, Werribee Plaza, and South Morang in Victoria.

The closures were part of a broader trend of reduced in-person banking services nationwide as more customers opt for digital transactions.

shutterstock_132026396.jpg
Westpac announced more closures of their bank branches. Credit: Shutterstock

Bank of Melbourne customers will still have access to 116 branches in Victoria and more than 500 Westpac branches nationwide.

Additionally, the bank will ‘co-locate’ its services in Newcastle, New South Wales, by jointly operating with the newly renovated Beaumont Street branch in Hamilton.

The Hamilton branch will serve both Westpac and St George customers following the expiration of the bank's lease at the Westpac Newcastle site.

This announcement came from Westpac's mid-February statement, which outlined plans to shut down approximately 20 branches across Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, and South Australia.

Despite the closures, Westpac's Chief Customer Engagement Officer, Ross Miller, emphasised that the bank is expanding access to cash transactions for its customers.

'We've digitally connected our brands and branches, meaning Westpac, St George, Bank of Melbourne, and BankSA customers can now use any of our more than 500 branches for cash and cheque deposits and cash withdrawals,' Miller stated.

‘We’ve also expanded access to fee-free cash via our ATM network.’

‘Personal and business transaction account customers can perform fee-free ATM withdrawals at almost 7000 ATMs,’ he added.

Meanwhile, the Financial Services Union (FSU) has expressed concern over the impact of these closures on Westpac staff, with an estimated 30 employees facing unemployment, criticised the bank's decision.

‘This is not about customers preferring digital banking as Westpac claims,’ FSU National President Wendy Streets said.

‘This is about nothing more than a bank that loves profits and cares little about people, including its customers and staff.’

‘Having booked a $1.5 billion first-quarter profit last month, you would think Westpac could continue to offer banking services to customers within its existing branch network.’

‘Instead, Westpac continues to slash at its infrastructure and people.’

Streets added, ‘The FSU believes banks are an essential service and that all Australians should have the right to do their banking in the manner they choose instead of being driven into digital banking.’

Miller assured that Westpac has 'robust' processes to assist workers in finding new roles as the bank continues to expand its phone, digital, and virtual services.

‘In most cases, employees impacted will continue to work with Westpac,’ he said.

The closures are part of a larger pattern of job cuts within the financial services sector as banks seek to control costs and protect margins.

Westpac, along with the other 'big four' banks—National Australian Bank (NAB), Commonwealth Bank (CommBank), and ANZ—closed more branches and announced substantial job cuts, with the total number of losses exceeding 2,000 positions.

Despite the downsizing, Westpac reported a $1.5 billion net profit for the quarter ending 31 December 2023, with CEO Peter King describing it as a 'solid quarter’.

The bank's stock price has also seen an uptick, rising 16.2 per cent year-to-date.

‘We’ve grown the franchise and maintained a strong financial position,’ he said in the company’s earnings release.
Key Takeaways
  • Westpac has confirmed it will close five more branches in Victoria and Newcastle, affecting subsidiary Bank of Melbourne locations and co-locating services in Newcastle.
  • This follows Westpac's announcement of shutting down approximately 20 branches across Queensland, NSW, Victoria, and South Australia in mid-February.
  • Despite closures, Westpac has expanded access to fee-free cash withdrawals and deposits across a network of branches and ATMs.
  • The Financial Services Union criticised the closures, citing job losses and a shift away from community banking, despite Westpac's reported $1.5 billion first-quarter profit.
What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you been affected by the closure of your local bank branch? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think these bank closures are appalling! We used the one at Endeavour Hills, Victoria. It is VERY inconvenient to now go elsewhere, nearest are Fountain Gate Narre Warren or Berwick which both are almost impossible to find a car park at. I loathe online banking also!

"$1.5 billion net profit for the quarter ending 31 December 2023. The bank's stock price has also seen an uptick, rising 16.2 per cent year-to-date." Banks, supermarkets, insurance; sacking workers, they're all at it. They all act like their workers and customers are a liability. The only thing that matters is the biggest gambling cartel in the world, the stock market. More customers are not opting for digital, they're being forced into it by these closures and banking making our cash ever harder to access, their thinking made clear by the term "fee-free cash". WTF?

Good morning, Im 78 yrs wnnt to the Commonwealth in Swan HIll to deposit funds for a freind in Peter McCallum, found closed for lunch, then when i went back they refused to take the deposit and advised because i was not a customer, i had to use the machine at the front, i did not bring my phone with me so had to arrange another trip, . i was customer of Commonwealth but after loosing $60,000.00 in my super fund i left. top management needs to read history why and who started banking, it was for the people, not for the C E O like Peter King and the other high fliers who receive huge packages by closing and reducing staff, so as their management skills look good ??

I suppose that is what the banks are pushing for, online banking. Just like most other industries they are depleting the jobs, how do they expect people to earn a living without employment.
I think these bank closures are appalling! We used the one at Endeavour Hills, Victoria. It is VERY inconvenient to now go elsewhere, nearest are Fountain Gate Narre Warren or Berwick which both are almost impossible to find a car park at. I loathe online banking also!

They say that "The closures were part of a broader trend of reduced in-person banking services nationwide as more customers opt for digital transactions."

This is sooo wrong - we are being forced into doing this as the Banks are closing branches everywhere making sure we can't use them. As they used to say "Welcome to Catch 22".

Inconvenient to have to travel further to a branch and they want on line banking yet until WPac will cut out our overcharged bank fee we have to personally take pension card in to be sighted- they state it can’t be done on line so contradicts what they say.

At least they are expanding their fee free ATM's for customers. So they should as we all say. For years banks have been outsourcing their insurance policies, so this requires less staff for upselling to customers. The reason for closing banks is long winded, but they forget that sometimes we need to physically visit a bank in lieu of online.

The Dandenong Plaza branch of the Bank of Melbourne closed late last year. On the window, it is stated that the nearest branch is Berwick which is a pain to get to by public transport.

Thankfully, I've haven't needed to deal with them for over five years.

Reactions: DLHM
In our shopping centre St George slready co bank with Westpac. A bit sad when you left Westpac for a better banking experience.

Reactions: Bob’s Buddy
Inconvenient to have to travel further to a branch and they want on line banking yet until WPac will cut out our overcharged bank fee we have to personally take pension card in to be sighted- they state it can’t be done on line so contradicts what they say.
Yes, total contradiction, it is whatever works for them not the customer. Customer service has disappeare!

Reactions: NotNats
Do you know what I think……I think that the ‘big 4’ will merge and the smaller banks will be taken over…eventually only one institution……controlling all of us and dictating how we manage our money and we will have absolutely no choice 😤 :confused:

That’s what they want, you are certainly right, but guess what, it may never happen because they also like us to live in fear. So never lose hope, their day will come and not for the better for them.😉We out number them always, we will survive as we always do, they will never keep us down completely, we all have each other likeminded souls to help us help each other.👍
Do you know what I think……I think that the ‘big 4’ will merge and the smaller banks will be taken over…eventually only one institution……controlling all of us and dictating how we manage our money and we will have absolutely no choice 😤 :confused:

• Love
Reactions: Miss Chris