Fishy business: Travellers reel in hefty fine for smuggling 'pest' fish through Melbourne Airport

In a world where the balance of ecosystems is as delicate as a house of cards, the introduction of non-native species can have catastrophic consequences.

This is a lesson two travellers learned the hard way when they were slapped with a hefty fine for attempting to smuggle 'pest' fish through Melbourne International Airport.

The saga began in December 2019 when one of the men was caught trying to sneak 120 live ornamental fish into the country, resulting in an initial fine of $420.

However, it seems the lesson was not learned, as the same individual and a business partner attempted to bring in another batch of live fish in January 2020.

The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, vigilant in protecting Australia's unique biodiversity, launched an investigation that led to the discovery of the fish, which are considered invasive species.

compressed-shutterstock_1271841322.jpeg
The Federal Court fined two travellers $54,000 for attempting to smuggle 240 live ornamental fish through Melbourne International Airport. Credits: Shutterstock

These fish were ingeniously concealed in fish bags and stashed within multiple cooler bags, but their covert journey ended there.

Failure to declare these aquatic stowaways on their incoming passenger cards was a serious breach of the Biosecurity Act.

In April 2024, the Federal Court found both travellers guilty, imposing a $37,000 penalty on the initial offender and a $17,000 fine on his accomplice, totalling to $54,000.

Additionally, they were ordered to cover the Commonwealth’s legal costs.

This case marked the first time civil penalties were issued under the Biosecurity Act, setting a precedent for future transgressions.

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Murray Watt emphasised the significance of the judgement and said it should discourage all travellers from attempting the same.

‘Some of the fish that were attempted to be smuggled into our country are considered pest species to Australia and they posed a huge risk to human, animal and plant health,’ he explained.

‘Illegally imported live fish can also impact wild capture fisheries, our growing aquaculture industries and our environment and thereby, our economy.’

‘Illegally imported live fish can carry diseases and other organisms, or themselves can become a pest and threaten native species.’

‘Tough civil penalties apply to those who break the law, and all travellers should be aware that serious breaches of Australia’s biosecurity laws may result in civil penalty proceedings being brought against you,’ he added.

Strict border control measures are in place to protect Australia's ecosystem.

This recent incident highlights the importance of adhering to biosecurity regulations, as even seemingly harmless actions can have significant consequences.

This echoes the recent discovery of biohazardous materials in Kia vehicles, raising concerns about the potential threats they pose to the environment and public health.
Key Takeaways
  • Two travellers were fined $54,000 by the Federal Court for attempting to smuggle 240 live ornamental fish through Melbourne International Airport.
  • The fish were found to be invasive species and were discovered in fish bags within cooler bags.
  • The men failed to declare the fish on their incoming passenger cards, contravening the Biosecurity Act.
  • This case marked the first time civil penalties were issued under the Biosecurity Act, signalling a strong deterrent against biosecurity breaches.
Have you ever encountered a situation where biosecurity was at risk? Maybe you've seen the impact of invasive species in your local area? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy, Liag and BJM
Sponsored
I had a neighbour tell me of fruit tree seeds that were smuggled in. When asked where she had them l received a stare & complete silence. This left me to use my imagination. Wonder if they were in place for over 12 hours flying?

I'm all for fines and jail for smuggling animals of any type. Those fish are bristlenose and I didn't know you could get them anywhere else than a legal pet shop. I actually have a female one who is about 10 years old. I had considered getting a male but found they were not only expensive, but they breed worse like rabbits. I smartly changed my mind.