Is your wallet about to become obsolete? Discover when Australia plans to go completely cashless

As the digital age accelerates, Australia is on the brink of a significant financial transformation.

Experts predict that by the end of this decade, the nation will become 'functionally cashless', a shift that is stirring concern among Australians.

With the closure of hundreds of bank branches and ATMs, a recent study revealed that 71 per cent of Aussies are apprehensive about transitioning to a cashless society, with 41 per cent expressing extreme concern.

The research by payments technology company Waave highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.

compressed-online-payment-security-concept-3d-phone-bill.jpeg
A study showed that 41 per cent of Australians expressed extreme concern about moving towards a cashless society. Image source: Freepik

The fear is not unfounded, as two-thirds of Australians worry that going cashless could marginalise certain groups and worsen economic inequality.

Additionally, 58 per cent are concerned about the potential rise in banking and card fees.

Waave's Co-Founder and CEO, Ben Zyl, acknowledged that Australians are among the world's leading adopters of digital payments. However, he also recognised the legitimate fears surrounding consumer security and control within the current digital payments system.

Data theft, password complications, and exorbitant card fees and surcharges are at the forefront of these concerns.

‘There’s a lot of fear, particularly among those who can’t access alternatives or aren’t confident using technology,’ Mr Zyl stated.

The sentiment of 'cash nostalgia' is also prevalent, with nearly half of Aussies admitting they would miss the tactile experience of handling physical money.

He added: ‘Whether you’re younger or older, the psychology around cash is unique. We like the feel of it, the sense of control, and we tend to spend less when we pay in cash.’

Despite these concerns, the Reserve Bank's data indicated a decline in cash usage. Consumer cash payments plummeted from 70 per cent in 2007 to a mere 13 per cent in 2022.

In contrast, Australians made 30.2 million ATM withdrawals in January, the highest in a year, withdrawing over $9 billion, the largest amount since mid-2020.

Dr Angel Zhong, an Associate Professor of Finance at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), expects Australia to be functionally cashless by 2030.

This doesn't mean cash will vanish or lose its value; rather, consumer preference is increasingly leaning towards digital payments.

The transition is already in motion, reflecting a broader trend in consumer behaviour.

Professor Zhong is not alone in this sentiment. Finance Expert Sarah Wells also predicted that Australia will become a 'technically cashless' society in the near future.

‘All the changes we have seen have put us in a situation where we no longer need cash,’ she said.

‘There hasn’t been a requirement for it to come back out into circulation. Because people aren’t popping down and taking money out of the ATM or going to banks anymore,’ Ms Wells added.

The closure of 424 bank branches and the removal of 718 ATMs in the 12 months leading up to June 2023 further underscore this shift.

Despite this, the Big Four banks—Commonwealth, Westpac, Australian and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), and National Australia Bank (NAB)—have stated they will not go completely cashless.

As we navigate this transition, it's essential to consider the implications for all Australians, especially those who may not be as tech-savvy or who rely on cash for various reasons.

The move towards a cashless society promises convenience and efficiency but demands a thoughtful approach to ensure inclusivity and security.
Key Takeaways
  • Most Australians are concerned about the shift towards a cashless society, with research showing that 71 per cent of them are worried about the implications.
  • Concerns include the exclusion of certain demographics, exacerbation of economic inequality, and increased banking and card fees.
  • Waave, a payments technology company, highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.
  • Data from the Reserve Bank of Australia indicates a decline in cash use for consumer payments, dropping from 70 per cent in 2007 to 13 per cent in 2022, signalling a trend towards digital payment options.
How do you feel about the move towards a cashless society? Are you ready for the shift, or do you have reservations? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
What is the matter with people? Stand up and be counted as cashless indicates more fees with less control. Think about charities, markets, garage sales etc, it will all suffer. Most elderly people have limited or no knowledge of electronic banking and with the scammers getting smarter it is going to be very difficult to maintain honesty throughout all systems. Let CASH continue to stay in our society.
I have no knowledge about electronic banking & have no wish to learn about it. I do use a cashcard sometimes but I have no desire for the banks & govt to know how I spend my money.

But speaking about going cashless & refusing to use a card, I have aged care support & the company I am tied to refuse to take cash in payment for the services I have received. Surely this is one company that should be accommodating seniors by taking the payment in whatever way I am comfortable with - either cash or card. I do have a credit card which I use when I get caught short of cash but they won't even except that "brand" of credit card.

I have found that you can't voice your opinion because there are others that think that their ideas and ways are right and they put you down or ridicule you for stating what your opinion is or how you think. some people seem to think that their ideas are right and thet they should be running the world. I am expecting a lot of comments to this in the "negative" response, to those critisisms I say ....................

The trouble with a cashless society is although it affects the wealthy, the less well-off are affected, the homeless are affected, people in the service industry such as cleaners, hotel workers, waiters etc, kids (no tooth fairy or money box savings) and business people when companies such as Telstra have an outage, and last but not least all those people who are the object of online scammers.

Reactions: barbaranne
2022 was still coming out of Covid when so many places would only do card transactions to avoid handling cash. So that data is not really relevant. Cash is still very necessary. Especially in rural areas where the internet is dodgy. The EFTPOS lines went down for 10 days in December in our town for “maintenance” so stores had to keep their tills open and do cash sales. There are markets, gold coin entry places everywhere, fundraisers, pocket money, garage sales, when there’s no EFTPOs at remote locations, Giving kids money for ice creams etc, donations… The list goes on where cash is necessary and no uni professor is going to predict with her crystal ball otherwise. The only thing I find useful with cards is if you lose a receipt you still have your statement as proof of purchase.

I see this as a way for banks to make more money for doing less. Talk about scammers, the banks are the biggest scammers of all, not to mention thieves.

The buskers and market stall holders don’t declare cash transactions so it seems it’s not needed. The government saves all the money by not having to use the mint. I hope it’s political suicide to give banks and scammers so much power over peoples assets

look what happens to electricity and water when it was sold to the private sector
Prices just keep going up and nobody can stop it
Cash less society will get the same treatment once the banks handle all payments what gaurantee will everyones fees NOT go up
What are people going to do in the events of network dropout and power failures
Are people going to be compensated for not being able to excess their funds
IS this just invasion of privacy as govt and banks will have access to everyones expenditure
more GOVT CONTROL

Going digital-only for financial transactions is about as stupid as one can get. It creates vulnerability to scammers, hackers, power-cuts and a developing police-state mentality aka PR China. But that is Australia and we are standing in it.

I have already been criticised obliquely by a staff-member of the ANZ for not having the ANZ banking "app" enabling internet banking via my mobile phone which I refuse to buy. It was when I asked said person why the ANZ had stopped sending me paper statements each month. Eff off, ANZ!

Last edited:
I refuse to tap and go especially when they they thrust it at you , at the moment I'm half cash half card. Got a full wasted cheque book as they are redundant soon as well

Reactions: Liz and barbaranne
going digital cash is dangerous as it will lead to more and more theft from scammers and the banks. if they continue with this then I will fight back by stealing what I need as I will NOT except a cashless digital option

Becoming cashless will be a big problem when computers cradh or power strikes occur,resulting not being able to pay your resturant bill, supermarket bill,doctors bill and many many more every day essentials.
And it will allow government to replace your friendly piece of cash with "social credit" as the PR China government does in PR China. Hopefully Anthropogenic Global Heating will create so much mayhem that plastic cards won't work!

My Visa card was scammed so at present I HAVE to pay cash. Not my idea of fun! It’s hard to work out just how much money I’m likely to need on any given day. And I have to get to a bank branch - they are becoming fewer & fewer.

The government and banks want a casbless society, so that Big Brother can keep a watch over us in what we are spending and where!! I am using more cash now than what I was 2 years ago, I am sick of paying fees for small purchases!!

Reactions: Liz and barbaranne
When you look at the bigger picture of a Cashless Society. There are quite a few of aspects of it that cause major concern.
One of the main ones to me is the total lack of privacy in regard to purchases and the total visibility of every amount of money that is used to provide 100%
Accuracy of every transaction, regardless of what, when and how often it occurs.
Big Brother is watching. All transactions of the BARTER SYSTEM are exposed to
scrutiny. There was a sound practise of the exchange of services, being an amount of services from suppliers to be done by mutual agreement of two or more persons giving their service "FREE "
from the exchange of money by partisheners as agreed and delivered by each person or Company.
Tradees have used this system for years to effectively offset exchanges of cash from each other. It is a well known TRADE off Trade between providers of services . Very suitable to people who have some useful "product" between each other. NO RECORD OF DOCUMENTATION OF AGREED
TRANSACTION. CASHLESS AND
INVISIBLE TO SCRUTINY. A WIN, WIN ON BOTH SIDES.. That is one way of retaining the PRIVACY OF THE INDIVIDUAL.