‘I’m so sick and tired’: Coles shopper laments over ‘unexpected ingredient’

In the bustling aisles of our local supermarkets, we trust that what we toss into our trolleys is what it says on the label.

However, one Coles customer's trust in the brand was tested during a routine family dinner preparation.

Jo Meredith, a mum of six from Tamworth, fumed in disappointment after her experience with a pack of Coles Drovers Choice Beef Mince, which she claimed had excessive liquid.

Jo noticed an unusual amount of liquid bubbling away in the pan as she prepared spaghetti bolognese for her family.

'I looked at it, and it was just all this meat bubbling away. I thought, "Wow, okay." I took a photo of the spatula in the water and a photo of the spatula out of the water, and you can see how deep it was,' she shared.

'I thought, "No, I'll pop it in a measuring jug."'

compressed-jo meredith.jpeg
Tamworth mum Jo Meredith expressed concern about Coles' produce as she planned to cook for her big family. Image Credit: Jo Meredith

Concerned, she found a whopping 300 millilitres of liquid from the mince.

'You make an allowance for some water percentage in there because it's a natural product of animals. Still, 300ml is a lot.'

Jo's husband, a former retail butcher, suggested that this could be a tactic used by some butchers to increase the meat's weight, also inflating profit margins.

This isn't Jo's first time encountering the supermarket's watery produce. However, despite multiple complaints, 'they were not really interested' in hearing her claims.

'The water just cooks out, and most people are none the wiser, or they don't worry about it, but I am so over it,' she lamented.

'I've got six kids, and economic times at the moment are quite hard, and I put a kilo and a half of meat in there, and 300ml of it was water. I am so sick and tired of buying products that rip people off.'

Coles, however, stands by its product.

A spokesperson for the supermarket giant responded to the allegations.

'Any water present during the cooking process is naturally occurring,' they state.

'While everyone has their own cooking style, it's important for anyone cooking mince to understand that large amounts of meat can cause a frypan to lose temperature, which can result in the mince stewing rather than frying, leading to the moisture from the meat to pool instead evaporating quickly.'

Meat Science Associate Professor at the University of New England Peter McGilchrist backed Coles' claim.

'It's not allowed, and they just wouldn't get away with it,' he said.

'In this mince that she has purchased, it is 17 per cent fat, so 300ml out of two kilos [the full packet] is only about 15 per cent that has come out that she has captured. Of the other 83 per cent of what she has purchased, is about 80 per cent moisture.'

Coles also recommended cooking minced meat in smaller batches 'to ensure a high temperature is maintained during cooking of mince', avoiding excess moisture in the process.

As consumers, we should be aware of the characteristics of the produce we buy and the best cooking practices.

However, it's also crucial for supermarkets to ensure transparency and maintain consumer trust by providing products that meet customers' expectations.
Key Takeaways

• Tamworth mum Jo Meredith accused Coles of adding water to its minced beef.
  • She found 300 millilitres of liquid after cooking a pack of Drovers Choice Beef Mince she purchased.
  • Coles stated that any water present is naturally occurring and that adding water to mince is prohibited, which was backed up by Meat Science professor Peter McGilchrist.
  • Coles advised cooking mince in smaller batches at a high temperature to avoid excess moisture.
Have you ever experienced something similar with your meat purchases? How do you ensure you're getting the best value for your money while grocery shopping? Share your tips and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Never buy the frozen stuff, you can't tell how much water is in there. The marked weight is just an estimate anyway, before you pay for it, weigh it in the fruit and veggies section, it shouldn't be more than 5% less.

Interesting, I saw this on a Facebook reel a few days ago. Now another shows up for scrutiny on another social media platform.

You've only just realized this..... been going on for yonks. DON'T SHOP THERE... They are past masters at scams

Reactions: Veggiepatch
We are lucky here in Perth we have a place called Spud Shed and they don't try to rip us off
Visited Spudshed's Spearwood store yesterday and I won't be going back. Just the atmosphere inside and outside the store reminded me of Dandenong. Beggars at the front door, the League of Nations as the customer base and a noticeably smaller floor area.

Give me the Jandakot store anyday!

Reactions: maherdj
I have noticed this in mince for some time. Not just Coles either. The water is in the meat before it is minced, I believe. They say it doesn't happen so WHERE does the water come from???.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
Visited Spudshed's Spearwood store yesterday and I won't be going back. Just the atmosphere inside and outside the store reminded me of Dandenong. Beggars at the front door, the League of Nations as the customer base and a noticeably smaller floor area.

I go to the Spud Shed in Innaloo

Not only mince. I bought a packet of lamb chops a week ago from woolies. A label covered one third of the package and when I got home found no meat under the label. They do sell it by the kilo but I just look to see the size. What a rip off as it was a deliberate ploy to to fool the customers.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I have noticed this in mince for some time. Not just Coles either. The water is in the meat before it is minced, I believe. They say it doesn't happen so WHERE does the water come from??

I think she is cooking too much mince in one go she should be cooking her mince in batches.

We have had this story many times, my butcher mince doesn't have water supermarket mince does for the perfect spag bog you have to fry the mince supermarket mince ends up being stewed instead of fried changes the taste of spag bog

Mince it yourself then you can also control the fat content
Plus the additives and water are used to extend the weight.... although the water is probably injected into the meat.... everyone is 'ON THE MAKE'..

Kelmscott is the same, I wouldn't give some of the vegetables available on the shelves to feed pigs.