When waiting for hot water to come through your shower or sink put a container under and collect to water the garden or indoor plants, imagine how many thousands of litres we could save..

Hi guys... We're trying to compile a list of all the best household hacks out there and want your help!

A household hack can be anything that makes life easier at home. Valid categories include (but are not limited to):
  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Gardening
  • Organisation
  • DIY / home improvement
You get the idea!

The best household hack submitted before the end of October will receive a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher (at the winner's discretion).

As an example, here's an awesome cleaning hack shared by member @CarolAusten a couple of weeks ago:

So don't be shy... Share your favourite hacks here!
Got Mould in your house? Spray it with hairspray to hold the spores in place! Don't hold the can too close and spray from a distance to avoid spores being loosened by the force of the spray. I used Extra Hold but any would do. Take care if using on thick mould as the spores come off very easily and can be toxic. Agent would not fix a leaking roof, ceiling, window in my bedroom for months and I had to sleep on a camp mattress on the floor of another room as mould had formed on the ceiling and cornice. The floor is not a good place for a 72 year old with arthritis to sleep, verrrrry uncomfortable. Eventually got the leak fixed - 2 broken roof tiles!!! Too late, mould had taken hold. They still, many months later, have not treated the mould and I wanted to sleep in my own bed again. Cleaned everything as much as possible but did not want to touch the mould and hit on the hairspray idea .... and IT WORKED!!! Air quality immediately improved and spores held in place. Get a professional to remove thick mould although you can use vinegar on patchy thin mould. Good luck :D(y)

Reactions: Christine Grace
Faster composting - we have 2 big open compost bins where we put all our autumn leaves after mulching with the lawn mower. Most of our household scraps go in there BUT to avoid having animals scrounging and flies doing god knows what we vitamize all our scraps in water first - vege scraps, a little bit of citrus and onion peel is ok, coffee grounds and tea leaves - tear open used tea bags (no bags allowed) and egg shells, even torn up egg cartons. The smaller the soup the faster it breaks down. They need to be turned over every 1-2wks to aerate and check for moisture and worms

Prepare for the Storm Season when Driving..
Keep Your Light Lens Clean....
Two Teaspoons of Baking Soda and 1/2 a Cup of Brown Vinegar and a Cotton Cloth
Works well for Me!!

Reactions: Marlyn
To stop tops of fridge and tops of high wall cupboards. lay a sheet of plastic wrap to clean tops, and when you come to cleaning, just replace the plastic.

Reactions: dec
To stop tops of fridge and tops of high wall cupboards. lay a sheet of plastic wrap to clean tops, and when you come to cleaning, just replace the plastic.
This is a great idea! Or to be a bit more sustainable, you could bring the plastic down, clean it, and then put it back. Thank you for sharing @SEG

Using CRC spray to remove stickers, it waterproofs shoes, cleans and shines vinyl and has many uses around the house.

Keep shower glass looking sparkling rinse with water after every shower then use a silicone blade scraper firmly from top to bottom this dramatically reduces your weekly cleaning

Want to see your toilet sparkle? I use 2 fizzy denture cleaning tablet, just throw them in the bowl and let them work their magic! And the best part is that I buy a large box at shops like the Reject shop for a fraction of the prices at the supermarket!!!

My Tip
Few years back a couple of wasps were starting to nest on my loungeroom window. I didn't have any cash or any insect spray.
The only thing I could find was Homebrand oven cleaner !!!!
I sprayed it at the wasps and on the window
The wasps flew away and never came back and I still had enough oven cleaner left for my oven.😁

I'm re-posting this tip for member Vera:

"I tried the Wash Balls from eBay, no soap powder required and they work, they lift stains and the whites come out white and saves money. Worth a try."

Reactions: Marlyn
Hi guys... We're trying to compile a list of all the best household hacks out there and want your help!

A household hack can be anything that makes life easier at home. Valid categories include (but are not limited to):
  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Gardening
  • Organisation
  • DIY / home improvement
You get the idea!

The best household hack submitted before the end of October will receive a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher (at the winner's discretion).

As an example, here's an awesome cleaning hack shared by member @CarolAusten a couple of weeks ago:

If you need to deter ants from anywhere, just wipe down with an old rag drenched in undiluted vinegar or straight lemon juice regularly.

Mine is a pretty simple hack that i came up with, one day. As you all know, eggs have a "best by" date printed on the carton. I was forever writing the dates, on each egg so i wouldn't end up with stale eggs. One day, i looked at the carton & thought, "Now, there's an easier way!!" So what i did was, i put the eggs in the egg holder in the fridge, tore off the "Best By" date on the carton, leaving abut 2'' around the outside of each printed date or sticker, & slid it down between the front of the egg holder & the plastic shelf. VWALLA!!. Now all i need to do is look at the piece of carton or sticker & i never have stale eggs anymore! Simple, but damn effective!!

4 drops of clove oil. 2 desert spoons of baking powder and fill your spray container with white vinegar cleansing glass, showers. Tiles bathroom benches.

Also put white vinegar in the slot you usually put your conditioner makes your towels soft and fluffy no smell

Ok! This is definately a game changer. I have this 25+, home that had dirt penetrated into the shower tiles. I tried everything to clean them with no luck until recently. I bought some toilet cleaner .
Power force pro heavy duty cleaner . $2 to $3 from Aldi max. Applied it the walls left it 10mins. Used a broom to wet the walls and broom to brush them down. Hardly any energy used
All done in about 4mins
Wash down with water

Could not believe it .Pure white grout. You don't even have to do it often as it keeps on giving. The best money you ever spent I promise!

Last edited:
74 years on the planet and the number of blunt scissors I had lying around for years was ridiculous until I discovered if you get some aluminum foil and cut a few strips with the blunt scissors they are as good as new Now I can cut my toe nails with special long scissors I struggled with for years!

• Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Gardening
  • Organisation
  • DIY / home improvement
You get the idea!

If you get frustrated trying to chop up an onion which often slips or slides out of reach, leave the root ends intact and first cut onion lengthways in half with half section of roots that will hold each half of the onion together. Slice lengthways each half side close to the root ends and then slice widthways to complete chopped onion. Last bit of root can then be discarded.