There have been some great ideas here. I am wondering if admin. is planning on organizing them into sectionalised booklet form? I for one can't remember all the good tips provided here.. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sherri
After every shower, hose down the glass with your handheld shower head and then dry it off with a squeegee. If you do this you will only have to clean the glass in the shower once a year.

Almost fat free chicken gravy. Not very original but here it is. Oven bake the chicken on a rack in the baking tray with 1 cup water in the tray. When baked, pour the liquid in the base of the tray into a bowl. Allow to cool a bit then cover & put in the fridge overnight. Next day the fat will have solidified on the top of the liquid in the bowl. You might be surprised how much fat there is. Scrap off the fat with a spoon & freeze the gell like liquid below the fat in a air tight container. I use clip lock glad bags. Put the date on the container. When you next need chicken gravy, use the fat free frozen liquid. Thaw, add salt, pepper, vege water if required & a bit of flour to thicken. I prepare the gravy in a saucepan.

Last edited:
This is a simple solution to an annoying problem: Use WD40 to get rid of the sticky patches which remain after removing price tags and other sticky labels.

Do the weekly shopping one day later each week. After 7 weeks you will have saved one week's shopping money.

With Avocados being so cheap at present buy several and mash flesh into bowl. Add approx 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice per avo.
Put mash into ziplock bag and lay flat.
Press dividing lines to separate mash into portion size you prefer.
Carefully freeze in same flat position
When you’re making a sandwich and need an avo just separate a portion from bag, allow to thaw and spread.

Cleaning the "haze' off a shower glass door. 1. Thoroughly wipe (a normal fibre cloth will do) with pure lemon juice. 2. Scour after 5 minutes with a paste made of Ajax powder cleanser and water. 3. Spray and wipe clean with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Leaves commercial stuff for dead. You can also use a toothbrush to get at the edges, etc.

I always keep a jar with a lid next to the kitchen sink. All leftover oil, fat off food or liquids that should not be poured down the sink go into it for an easy cleaner way of disposal. I have found more and more things over the years to add to the jar. It really helps. Keith

To be totally honest I hate house work and my hint is this go to coles walk to cleaning section and buy all the products that vertically do it for you with minimal effect on your part

A great way to save money on rinse aid in your dishwasher is to roll up a piece of al-foil and place in one of the squares of the cutlery basket. Lasts around 4 washes in our hard water and dishes come out streak free. I was using so much rinse aid before now only use it every 5 th wash or so.

Attachments

• wash.JPG
    wash.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
Keep the antibacterial wipe they give you to wipe the trolley and use it to moisten you fingers to make opening the plastic vegy /fruit bags easier!

Being cheap but nutritious for several meals
A kg of chicken necks
Wash and then cover with water add chopped up carrot, celery sticks and chopped up onion
Cooked 30 minutes turn off heat
A Soup made and now to pick the neck meat. Be amazed how much meat is in one kg of neck bones
Cheap as chips
Enjoy

To get the last little bit out of your toiletries, carefully cut down the packaging. You may be surprised how much is actually left to use.

Coffee /tea stains.. easy peasy... just drop a 'steredent' tablet (i'm sure a few of us use them lol) in the cup of hot water and leave for an hour...sparkling clean...
Good idea, I rinse with white king...it does not leave a smell if washed immediately in the normal way.

My household hack relates to weekly menus and click and collect grocery ordering. I always have a weekly menu written up in a book and do my shopping from what is needed from that plus any other necessaries. As I have been doing click and collect grocery orders since health issues and covid made it necessary, I have found that I have saved money by not being tempted by the end of aisle specials (which I don't need). So, in short; weekly menus and click/collect save time and money.

I use the small bottlebrush from the packet of silicone straws to clean around the taps in the bathroom and sink drain holes, small and easy to use. One in every four pack of metal and silicone straws.