SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Got a cool 'household hack' to share? Share it to go into the draw to win a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher!

Hi guys... We're trying to compile a list of all the best household hacks out there and want your help!

A household hack can be anything that makes life easier at home. Valid categories include (but are not limited to):
  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Laundry
  • Gardening
  • Organisation
  • DIY / home improvement
You get the idea!

The best household hack submitted before the end of October will receive a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher (at the winner's discretion).

As an example, here's an awesome cleaning hack shared by member @CarolAusten a couple of weeks ago:

The best cleaning product you can ever use is one you make yourself that will last you for many months is
1.5 litres of water (1cup Boiling)
300ml Vinegar
60ml dish detergent
25ml eucalyptus oil
3 dessert spoons Letric Washing soda, mix altogether poor into spray bottle, works out about 30 cents per spray bottle and you can even use it as a laundry stain remover.

So don't be shy... Share your favourite hacks here!

I have used these tips most of my adult life always work for me. To clean a burnt saucepan rinse out the burnt food add a a little washing powder to the pan, half fill with cold water & let it simmer on the stove top for a few mins. Turn off the heat let it stand for an hour or until cool then wash out . You may have to use a scouring pad in some spots.
Don't throw away lemons after you've squeezed out the juice , put them in your kettle/jug with cold water bring to the boil , pour out the water rinse well & you have a sparkling kettle .

This is a really easy way to clean the inside of your kettle, to remove rust or lime scale. Thickly slice a whole lemon. Put the slices into your kettle, fill up the kettle, and let it boil. Let the kettle stand for around half an hour to an hour. Empty the kettle and remove the lemon slices. Rinse it out thoroughly before refilling it. Voila.

When you pour that jar or bottle of sauce or recipe base into the pan, there's always some stuck to the sides, right? I just put a little water in the jar or bottle (about 10mm), put the lid back on and shake vigorously. Then pour that into the pan. You'll find that you will nearly always get all the sauce out! And the little bit of water will make almost no difference to the end result.

If you use a bath sponge in the shower or bath, first put it into an old stocking, this will stop the sponge from falling apart and saves on soap as it lathers a lot better this way. You can then hang sponge from tap to dry out.

When whipping cream add a little vanilla instant pudding mix which will ship the cream much faster and set quicker. Can also be used to set cake icing mix if the icing is too runny.

I love Polident tablets! Clean bathroom floors and see whiter grout smells fresh too. Just add three to six Polident tablets to a jug of warm water.
I slosh my mop around on the floors and leave overnight and rinse with a wrung out mop. I pop in two Polident tablets into my
white sheets wash and they are brighter than bright! Works well on white cotton t-Shirts and singlets, refresh tea towels.
Clean Tennis shoes if soaked in a bucket and two Polident tablets. I clean my GOLD rings and diamonds using One Polident tablet in warm water for 10 minutes. Yellowing finger nails soak in warm water and a Polident tablet for 10 minutes. Hard water stain in toilets can be dissolved by spraying a solution of 2-3 Polident tablets and leave overnight.

Many medications come with little packets of silica gel. Silica gel is a dessicant (that is, it absorbs moisture to keep the product dry and make it last longer). Instead of discarding the packets, recycle them by placing them in your jewellery box. They will greatly reduce the rate at which your silver jewellery tarnishes.