This was recorded in 2002 when Dame Shirley Bassey was a young 65. This woman shimmers like a Queen. Her charisma and presence are off the scale; not to mention, she has one of the greatest voices in history.

On the 21st of January 2017, Dame Shirley Bassey performed "Diamonds are Forever" at the premiere of the film "The Queen of Kalahari" which took place at theThéatre du Châtelet in Paris. It is a documentary about a 342-carat Queen of Kalahari rough diamond which was made into a transformable necklace. The cherry on the top of the film was Dame Shirley gracefully walking onto the stage to perform an exquisite rendition of her 1971 James Bond hit, "Diamonds are Forever". Dame Shirley was 80 years old during this performance and looked and sounded spectacular as always!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Vinylted
There are so many wonderful performers, but in my view the designated "First Lady of Song" Ella Fitzgerald is still unsurpassed.
A sample here with Joe Pass in Hanover Germany around 1975...

Reactions: Goodbloke
Hot August Night. I wanted this double vinyl album really bad, I was 21, when I finally purchased it, I played it over and over, just brilliant, this is the first time I have seen footage of the concert.

Introduction Cherry Cherry Sweet Caroline Play Me Beautiful Noise Street Life Lady Oh If You Know What I Mean Song Song Blue Cracklin' Rosie Holly Holy I Am...I Said Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show I've Been This Way Before

Reactions: chean5410
I also remember having the double vinyl set of these. I grew up with big band swing & jazz, then during the 40's I was the dancing fool, ballroom naturally, back to my jazz (actually it never went away) but never took to pop music much, or the early days of rock & roll. My younger brother in law introduced me to Neil and I was hooked! Later he did the same with Kris Kristofferson. ahhh memories. Thanks for the link to Neil at The Greek live... will be downloading it soon. :D:D

Great Tribute to Karen Carpenter!

Introducing the Howles Family.

The harmonizing vocals, the instrumentals, and the arrangement are so spot on, I felt that the deeper lead vocal is kind of jarring at first, however as my ears adjusted I listened to a beautiful cover of the song. Plus the fact that you guys do it all is impressive. Well done!

This voice is a voice that since the first time I heard it, it never left me, always lurking at the back of my mind, it's heavenly full of warmth peaceful relaxing reassuring great comfort .

Congrats Goodbloke this is the man who locked me into jazz for life from the first moments i heard him during the 30's, everything musical evolved from that point in time so many years ago. I had the original four disc album set of the hot five & hot seven recordings. I only ever played it a couple of times as I copied it onto cassette tape, then later to CD's. I donated the set to the Victorian Jazz Club Archives. But still have the cd set, wonderful music. My memory is letting me doen now, but one of the numbers written by Louis was once voted as the most perfect jazz number ever. :D:D

Throat singing from Mongolia & Bagpipe and Drum music from Latvia. It's like they met up on the Silk Road and decided to have a jam session. This music seems like it's made to be played while conquering large tracts of land....

Congrats Goodbloke this is the man who locked me into jazz for life from the first moments i heard him during the 30's, everything musical evolved from that point in time so many years ago. I had the original four disc album set of the hot five & hot seven recordings. I only ever played it a couple of times as I copied it onto cassette tape, then later to CD's. I donated the set to the Victorian Jazz Club Archives. But still have the cd set, wonderful music. My memory is letting me doen now, but one of the numbers written by Louis was once voted as the most perfect jazz number ever. :D:D
Louis Armstrong is rightly celebrated as a master jazz trumpeter, but his distinctive gravelly-voiced singing also had a huge influence on later artists. His vocal improvisations and the powerful feeling of swing that he brought to everything he sang loosened up the more formal style of his contemporaries.

That's one instrument I have never taken to, although in this case it's being used as an effective rhythmic tool. along with a whole lot of other technical gear. :rolleyes:

There are many wonderful entertainers featured on Youtube, some we can see grow from children through to adulthood. For lovers of piano and especially boogie woogie Stephanie Trick was one such artiste. A celebrated exponent of "stride piano' she has gone on to international acclaim. Performing with her husband here is agood example of their art....

There are many wonderful entertainers featured on Youtube, some we can see grow from children through to adulthood. For lovers of piano and especially boogie woogie Stephanie Trick was one such artiste. A celebrated exponent of "stride piano' she has gone on to international acclaim. Performing with her husband here is agood example of their art....

Very skilled players indeed, how about these gents.

There are some pieces of music it's hard for me to imagine having ever not existed; the main riff from this song is one of them. I have this feeling like it always existed, it was there, in the fabric of reality, waiting to be discovered.