Is your wallet about to become obsolete? Discover when Australia plans to go completely cashless

As the digital age accelerates, Australia is on the brink of a significant financial transformation.

Experts predict that by the end of this decade, the nation will become 'functionally cashless', a shift that is stirring concern among Australians.

With the closure of hundreds of bank branches and ATMs, a recent study revealed that 71 per cent of Aussies are apprehensive about transitioning to a cashless society, with 41 per cent expressing extreme concern.

The research by payments technology company Waave highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.

compressed-online-payment-security-concept-3d-phone-bill.jpeg
A study showed that 41 per cent of Australians expressed extreme concern about moving towards a cashless society. Image source: Freepik

The fear is not unfounded, as two-thirds of Australians worry that going cashless could marginalise certain groups and worsen economic inequality.

Additionally, 58 per cent are concerned about the potential rise in banking and card fees.

Waave's Co-Founder and CEO, Ben Zyl, acknowledged that Australians are among the world's leading adopters of digital payments. However, he also recognised the legitimate fears surrounding consumer security and control within the current digital payments system.

Data theft, password complications, and exorbitant card fees and surcharges are at the forefront of these concerns.

‘There’s a lot of fear, particularly among those who can’t access alternatives or aren’t confident using technology,’ Mr Zyl stated.

The sentiment of 'cash nostalgia' is also prevalent, with nearly half of Aussies admitting they would miss the tactile experience of handling physical money.

He added: ‘Whether you’re younger or older, the psychology around cash is unique. We like the feel of it, the sense of control, and we tend to spend less when we pay in cash.’

Despite these concerns, the Reserve Bank's data indicated a decline in cash usage. Consumer cash payments plummeted from 70 per cent in 2007 to a mere 13 per cent in 2022.

In contrast, Australians made 30.2 million ATM withdrawals in January, the highest in a year, withdrawing over $9 billion, the largest amount since mid-2020.

Dr Angel Zhong, an Associate Professor of Finance at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), expects Australia to be functionally cashless by 2030.

This doesn't mean cash will vanish or lose its value; rather, consumer preference is increasingly leaning towards digital payments.

The transition is already in motion, reflecting a broader trend in consumer behaviour.

Professor Zhong is not alone in this sentiment. Finance Expert Sarah Wells also predicted that Australia will become a 'technically cashless' society in the near future.

‘All the changes we have seen have put us in a situation where we no longer need cash,’ she said.

‘There hasn’t been a requirement for it to come back out into circulation. Because people aren’t popping down and taking money out of the ATM or going to banks anymore,’ Ms Wells added.

The closure of 424 bank branches and the removal of 718 ATMs in the 12 months leading up to June 2023 further underscore this shift.

Despite this, the Big Four banks—Commonwealth, Westpac, Australian and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ), and National Australia Bank (NAB)—have stated they will not go completely cashless.

As we navigate this transition, it's essential to consider the implications for all Australians, especially those who may not be as tech-savvy or who rely on cash for various reasons.

The move towards a cashless society promises convenience and efficiency but demands a thoughtful approach to ensure inclusivity and security.
Key Takeaways
  • Most Australians are concerned about the shift towards a cashless society, with research showing that 71 per cent of them are worried about the implications.
  • Concerns include the exclusion of certain demographics, exacerbation of economic inequality, and increased banking and card fees.
  • Waave, a payments technology company, highlighted that Baby Boomers, regional Australians, and lower-income households are the most anxious about this change.
  • Data from the Reserve Bank of Australia indicates a decline in cash use for consumer payments, dropping from 70 per cent in 2007 to 13 per cent in 2022, signalling a trend towards digital payment options.
How do you feel about the move towards a cashless society? Are you ready for the shift, or do you have reservations? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
When you look at the bigger picture of a Cashless Society. There are quite a few of aspects of it that cause major concern.
One of the main ones to me is the total lack of privacy in regard to purchases and the total visibility of every amount of money that is used to provide 100%
Accuracy of every transaction, regardless of what, when and how often it occurs.
Big Brother is watching. All transactions of the BARTER SYSTEM are exposed to
scrutiny. There was a sound practise of the exchange of services, being an amount of services from suppliers to be done by mutual agreement of two or more persons giving their service "FREE "
from the exchange of money by partisheners as agreed and delivered by each person or Company.
Tradees have used this system for years to effectively offset exchanges of cash from each other. It is a well known TRADE off Trade between providers of services . Very suitable to people who have some useful "product" between each other. NO RECORD OF DOCUMENTATION OF AGREED
TRANSACTION. CASHLESS AND
INVISIBLE TO SCRUTINY. A WIN, WIN ON BOTH SIDES.. That is one way of retaining the PRIVACY OF THE INDIVIDUAL.
Mistake. THERE IS NO

“Because people aren’t popping down and taking money out of the ATM or going to banks anymore,’ Ms Wells added.”

How can people pop down to withdraw their money when so many banks and ATMs continue to close down?

Think about it Ms Wells. 🤨

It will never happen. I cannot see a cashless society ever occurring because the government will step in to help those who want cash whenever they need or require it. Other countries are returning to cash now so I cannot see Australia going it alone.

• Love
Reactions: Liz and PattiB
I feel the journey towards cashless is about businesses trying to glean more profits, and employ less staff. I never use self serve checkouts because I feel they reduce staff, so no banks no atms no staff. We are leaving ourselves open to world hacks, which will see the country brought to its knees. We saw that with optus just lately, and where is the peoples say we have not been asked if the majority want it, once again the minority want it and the rest of us have to go along.
I wish I knew how to defeat this but alas I fear we will not be heard money has spoken.

I think it is the worst thing to happen to Australia. I still draw out my monthly allowance in cash.

Added takeaway is using a card you don't released how much you are spending; use cash you think twice about it. Until they can 110% guarantee we can access out money 24/7, that our data is safe and no fees
- HELL NO

Australia doesn’t have the infrastructure or the security to go cashless - once we don’t have daily leaks and hackers getting into government and banking websites and leaking our data to the criminal world just waiting to steal and impersonate us - then maybe we could consider it but that is a point way past 2030!!

No. Simple. I like my cash & $50 now should be worth $50 in 20 years time.
Becoming cashless will be a big problem when computers cradh or power strikes occur,resulting not being able to pay your resturant bill, supermarket bill,doctors bill and many many more every day essentials.
Then they will charge us extra for a late payment fee

Becoming cashless will be a big problem when computers cradh or power strikes occur,resulting not being able to pay your resturant bill, supermarket bill,doctors bill and many many more every day essentials.
And people think the banks are in control now charging us too much, just wait until we turn into a cashless society. The fees will go through the roof & they will be able to charge what they like! We have been down on WIFI 3 times in 12 months NO CARD usage in the shops.