Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra income relief? Coalition backs JobSeeker boost

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

payment1.jpg
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

payment2.jpg
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

You can read the rest of the story here.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways
  • More than a million Australians on JobSeeker will receive a boost.
  • The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
The government are allowing pensioners to work withour penalty to their pension. However, what about the pensioners who can't work, they are not allowing them to earn more from a part pension or higher interesst rates without decreasing the age pension.

Obviously Labor supporters are not astute nor have a clear understanding of the past conservative policies.
Firstly it is the Conservative policies that positioned Australia in the foundational economic position that it is in. The big spend by Labor, since taking office is only because of the rewards of good Conservative economic management.
However Labor’s BIG SPEND is now reaping the benefits mismanagement of those dollars. YES inflation is now taking an upward trend, all the results of the BIG SPEND, coupled with outrageous SOCIAL WELFARE HANDOUTS and indeed OVER GENEROUS PAY INCREASES handed out to the BUREAUCRACY.
Obviously ALBO took Economics 102 which is the HOW NOT TO SUCCEED Economics studies.

The second point is that, during the PANDEMIC it was LABOR who accused the Conservatives of not providing sufficient FINANCIAL SUPPORT for hardships encountered by the masses.
LABOR wanted the Newstart/Dole doubled, that’s right DOUBLED !!! This was estimated at the time would increase the National DEBT by a further $600 billion.
SO !! WHO IS THE BEST ECONOMIC MANAGERS .
DEFINITELY NOT LABOR.
Dead Right, Labor people refuse to look back and see how every time they got in we went into DEBT, Peter Costello the Best Treasurer there has ever been left Trillions in the Bank and then Labor got in, within 6 months it was ALL gone wasted by Labor, so of cause Liberals back in to build up the coffers again.

They need to do away with dole! Dole breeds dole! Make every unemployed or not going to university enlist in either Army, airforce, navy, SES etc to earn their money! The reason so much mental health problems is because they shut themselves away in room on social media or gaming sites! Get them off their backsides & earn their money!

Reactions: StephenNikita
Yep once again the lazy 2years out of work and more getting another pay rise to be able to do nothing and get another tv, can afford 3 packs of smokes instead of the 2 now extra money for grog, I see these people on tv complaining, they have had their hair done piercing everywhere and tattoos all over give me a break, I'm a pensioner they now get more than me, knew this would happen as soon as Labor got in don't forget little Albo single mother the rest you can guess what's going to happen.
Not everyone who has been out of work for 2 years or more will spend their extra money on smokes, grog or another TV. Some will have to pay the rent rise that the landlord kindly told us about. My 52-year-old son-in-law is a 3-time cancer survivor who has limitations on the amount of work he can do as he had 3 different types of cancer but doesn't fit into the mould for NDIS pay. He has to keep his core temperature down as he has no lymph nodes in his left and having them all stripped out due to cancer. He also has applied for numerous jobs but can't manage more than 15 hours a week & there are not many jobs with those limited hours. This is one reason for him applying to be my carer so he can feel useful. Which he is for me. So where I agree that some people rorte the system you have to walk in others' shoes before you judge all the ones on welfare the same.

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

View attachment 21091
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

View attachment 21093
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways

• The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!
How about giving extra money to people who worked and paid taxes, and are now on pensions, then give it to people who are just sitting back, enjoying life and never worked a day in their lives and never plan to.

Not everyone who has been out of work for 2 years or more will spend their extra money on smokes, grog or another TV. Some will have to pay the rent rise that the landlord kindly told us about. My 52-year-old son-in-law is a 3-time cancer survivor who has limitations on the amount of work he can do as he had 3 different types of cancer but doesn't fit into the mould for NDIS pay. He has to keep his core temperature down as he has no lymph nodes in his left and having them all stripped out due to cancer. He also has applied for numerous jobs but can't manage more than 15 hours a week & there are not many jobs with those limited hours. This is one reason for him applying to be my carer so he can feel useful. Which he is for me. So where I agree that some people rorte the system you have to walk in others' shoes before you judge all the ones on welfare the same.
What isn’t he on the disability pension?

Reactions: Nana Zorak
They need to do away with dole! Dole breeds dole! Make every unemployed or not going to university enlist in either Army, airforce, navy, SES etc to earn their money! The reason so much mental health problems is because they shut themselves away in room on social media or gaming sites! Get them off their backsides & earn their money!
The ones going to university will end up with a mountain of debt with interest on their Hex fees. the forces knock back about 15% of all who apply because they don't have the right attitude or education There should be I agree a system in place where young ones are trained not as fighters but as decent members of society. My son loved his time in the army & made lifelong friends while there. You are always going to have people that want more than their fair share of things but with education in the right measure we can save a lot of the no-hopers I think.

As a low income earner I would like to clarify a few things. I have a year to go before I retire and only work 15hrs per week in retail. Because of this I get a small payment from Centrelink. As they take 50 cents out of every dollar over the threshold it is not a lot. Do the sums! It is not much of an incentive to work is it. It certainly does not get you off struggle street. Luckily I love my job and it gives me a sense of pride not to mention a reason to get up in the morning. Increasing the threshold would definitely create more incentive for people to get a job thus lessening the burden on the government.
As for the ‘DOLE BLUDGERS’ who have no intention of getting a job. The rules need to change. If you are not working within a year of being on then it it should be a compulsory 2 yr National Sevice.
I am not talking about putting a weapon in anyones hands. I am talking about basic training and then being deployed to help within the communities therefore taking the burden off the Armed Forces.
Not only would they be earning their ‘wages’, they would be learning about discipline, respect and pride both in themselves and their country. Hey they may even like it enough to join the regular armed forces or come out with a trade. Either way they will come out a lot better than when they went in.
The government really needs to address this ever growing problem and start putting their foot down. Enough more easy street!!!

As a low income earner I would like to clarify a few things. I have a year to go before I retire and only work 15hrs per week in retail. Because of this I get a small payment from Centrelink. As they take 50 cents out of every dollar over the threshold it is not a lot. Do the sums! It is not much of an incentive to work is it. It certainly does not get you off struggle street. Luckily I love my job and it gives me a sense of pride not to mention a reason to get up in the morning. Increasing the threshold would definitely create more incentive for people to get a job thus lessening the burden on the government.
As for the ‘DOLE BLUDGERS’ who have no intention of getting a job. The rules need to change. If you are not working within a year of being on then it it should be a compulsory 2 yr National Sevice.
I am not talking about putting a weapon in anyones hands. I am talking about basic training and then being deployed to help within the communities therefore taking the burden off the Armed Forces.
Not only would they be earning their ‘wages’, they would be learning about discipline, respect and pride both in themselves and their country. Hey they may even like it enough to join the regular armed forces or come out with a trade. Either way they will come out a lot better than when they went in.
The government really needs to address this ever growing problem and start putting their foot down. Enough is enough. No more easy street!!!

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

Its about time the GOVERNMENT RELIZED THAT PEOPLE OVER THE GAE OF 65 ARE AN ASSET TO THE ECONOMY, BUT THE FACT THAT THEY ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO HAVE AN INCOME OF AROUND $200 A FORTNIGHT PRECLUDES THEM FROM ANY WORK. THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE ALLOWED ALL PEOPLE OVER THE PENSION AGE ( 65) TO BE ABLE TO EARN WHAT EVER THEY LIKE AND STILL NOT LOSE THEIR PENSION. IT SEEMS ok FOR EX-GOVERNMENT POLITICIANS TO WORK AFTER RETIREMENT AND STILL GET THEIR $250,000 PER ANNUM PENSION THEN WHY NOT ALLOW OTHER PENSIONERS THE SAME RIGHT.

Labor have proven time after time that they are the best economic managers. They didn't put us a trillion dollars in debt. Franking credits and negative gearing contributed to that. Jobkeeper to companies like Harvey Norman contributed to that. Rorts contributed to that. Get your facts right before making ridiculous comments
I disagree and the debt was due to all the aid given during Covid which I'm sure the Labour Party agreed with.

If there was not so much of age discrimination, I would prefer to be out there working. Not only is the money better, but also keeps the mind occupied and stops you from becoming lazy. Oh, but the government does not seem to care about the older people, just likes giving the younger ones more reason not to go to work.

Wow what an angry ungrateful mob!
The decent increase we had in March forgotten so soon!
We are where we are because of the decisions we made when we were younger and now we get help from the government to help us manage those decisions- not such a bad deal I think!
Those seeking work need a lot of help too - they are often young families trying to give the best to their kids.
To them Dole Bludgers is like a swear word!
I agree there are strugglers out there who try to find work, yet unemployable. Too much discrimination out there and depending on the job, business owners do tend to get very fussy. I don't blame them as their business is their livelyhood. Unfortunately it is the dole bludgers who just do not want to work that give all the unemployed a bad name.

Why don't the Government bring back National Service for all those on the Dole and make them earn their money. It would give them some responsibility and teach them to get out and know what it means to "earn a living wage". It didn't do any harm to the ones that did National Service, if fact they benefited from it.
Don’t know about national service, but I certainly make them do work for the dole. Grafiti removal, cleaning up reserves, etc.

I agree there are strugglers out there who try to find work, yet unemployable. Too much discrimination out there and depending on the job, business owners do tend to get very fussy. I don't blame them as their business is their livelyhood. Unfortunately it is the dole bludgers who just do not want to work that give all the unemployed a bad name.
I agree 💯. It is like most generalisations, the actions of a minority taint the efforts of the majority. For every dole bludger rorting the system there are dozens genuinely trying to get work and get out of the rut.
My pet hate are those collecting the dole and earning from cash in hand jobs. Untraceable if it doesn't go through a bank account. I bet if the government spent more time checking the assets and lifestyle expenditure of long term welfare recipients, and less time scrutinising those who show they are trying, they would cut the payments significantly and, as a cherry on the top, reclaim billions by making those guilty pay it all back. 😉

OBVIOUSLY I'm not talking about ALL. I'm talking about the ones who are quite capable of getting a job who choose NOT to.

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

I understand that times are very tough out there. However, my daughter has been working with employment agencies for many years and has said that this extra money is not going to encourage the long term habitual unemployed into the workforce. There are so many that know all the lurks and perks to getting out of finding employment and how to manage on the money they already receive. So giving them more money won't get them back into work. What they really needed to do is to bring back work for the dole scheme that we had years ago and allow them to earn that extra money without affecting their current payments. There are families that have had generation after generation on welfare, it has become their way of life and an expectation that they won't ever have to work, and they receive alot more handouts than the general public know about.

So once again the dole bludgers are to receive an income boost. While I agree that all unemployed over 60 should receive an increase in their help from the Government for some one to say that they can not find a job is total BS. The Australian economy is begging for workers and so many of these alleged unemployed are probably unemployable as the majority think that it would be beneath them to accept a position below what they were originally on. Wake up Australia, technology is readily adaptable by the younger generation and us older generation have to accept positions more in step with our old standards.
The problem is that the requirements to find work vary from person to person. Some just don't want to work and know all the ways of getting out of it, like "personal crisis", "someone in the family has died again", "need an exemption for cultural reasons" or get bogus medical exemptions. Whereas the genuine person who shouldn't be expected to work because they have cancer and receiving treatments that make them ill, or diagnosed with terminal illness, or who are caring for ill relatives etc are expected to attend appointments and work, maybe only 15 hours. It's the family generations on welfare that are the worst. And unfortunately some of those that do want to work are physically unable to do their trade any more, are too old for some jobs and not techno savvy., and need to be retrained.

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

So basically nothing more for aged pensioners. We are the forgotten generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×