Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra income relief? Coalition backs JobSeeker boost

We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

payment1.jpg
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

payment2.jpg
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

You can read the rest of the story here.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways
  • More than a million Australians on JobSeeker will receive a boost.
  • The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
People bandy words around like they know you, could not be further from the truth you FUCKING DICKHEAD oops I swore not sorry, do me a favour don't ever respond to me ever again, I'm entitled to an opinion and just because you can't read properly you call ME all sorts of things and also my opinion doesn't align with yours. GO AWAY
GLADLY :ROFLMAO:

I do not know where they get their thinking from. How come giving jobseekers $150 - $300 more a fortnight will make them more likely to return to work . Also why can’t they give more to pensioners. I’ve worked all my life, never claimed any centrelink payments. Some years I paid more in tax than some people earnt and I didn’t get too much out of it. My wife works as a nurse and as a pension I get $148/fortnight. Where’s the logic in that. Perhaps I should go on the dole.

Reactions: Col@45
I would advise anyone in the future getting towards retirement age to NOT scrimp and save and become fully self funded as husband and self did. We could do as many do, hide our assets under the mattress etc, but we choose not to do so. From what I read and see myself you are better to ensure you only get a few dollars of the pension and get all the concessions. You can live a very comfortable life style if you do this. Do not be like us and pay in full for everything. Still pay tax, the medicare levy every year. The only thing I am truly thankful for is that we do not have to deal with Centrelink. Regarding the dole; what incentive is there to work.

Reactions: Col@45
Nothing for pensioners,the best welfare is a job
I can't understand why so many people are still on welfare when businesses can't get workers! It's always harder for older people, but no young person should be on welfare....the Government should be training these people to learn something so they can get a job !!

I would advise anyone in the future getting towards retirement age to NOT scrimp and save and become fully self funded as husband and self did. We could do as many do, hide our assets under the mattress etc, but we choose not to do so. From what I read and see myself you are better to ensure you only get a few dollars of the pension and get all the concessions. You can live a very comfortable life style if you do this. Do not be like us and pay in full for everything. Still pay tax, the medicare levy every year. The only thing I am truly thankful for is that we do not have to deal with Centrelink. Regarding the dole; what incentive is there to work.
Absolutely agree, lot of young people are happy to sit back why tax payers keep them instead of learning something and earning your money.
It's encouraging them to be lazy and they'll have no future. Talk about Land of the Handouts ! 🥺🤨

You have got to be kidding me...Labor "best economic managers"..Are you so blind that you cannot see that all they do is hand out to dole bludgers who don't want to work...The trillion dollar debt was mainly caused by the government spending money during COVID to keep the country alive and running AND saving a lot of people going broke. These people also offered jobs to people like you who were probably sitting at home doing nothing and complaining that they don't give you more of our money, you know...the people called taxpayers.
In the middle of an economic crises the LNP decided to give the French Govt a lazy 5 billion dollars because it couldn't make up it's mind. Anyone who thinks that's a smart Govt move shouldn't be allowed to vote on the grounds of intellectual incompetence!

Labor have proven time after time that they are the best economic managers. They didn't put us a trillion dollars in debt. Franking credits and negative gearing contributed to that. Jobkeeper to companies like Harvey Norman contributed to that. Rorts contributed to that. Get your facts right before making ridiculous comments
Obviously Labor supporters are not astute nor have a clear understanding of the past conservative policies.
Firstly it is the Conservative policies that positioned Australia in the foundational economic position that it is in. The big spend by Labor, since taking office is only because of the rewards of good Conservative economic management.
However Labor’s BIG SPEND is now reaping the benefits mismanagement of those dollars. YES inflation is now taking an upward trend, all the results of the BIG SPEND, coupled with outrageous SOCIAL WELFARE HANDOUTS and indeed OVER GENEROUS PAY INCREASES handed out to the BUREAUCRACY.
Obviously ALBO took Economics 102 which is the HOW NOT TO SUCCEED Economics studies.

The second point is that, during the PANDEMIC it was LABOR who accused the Conservatives of not providing sufficient FINANCIAL SUPPORT for hardships encountered by the masses.
LABOR wanted the Newstart/Dole doubled, that’s right DOUBLED !!! This was estimated at the time would increase the National DEBT by a further $600 billion.
SO !! WHO IS THE BEST ECONOMIC MANAGERS .
DEFINITELY NOT LABOR.

Your
Labor have proven time after time that they are the best economic managers. They didn't put us a trillion dollars in debt. Franking credits and negative gearing contributed to that. Jobkeeper to companies like Harvey Norman contributed to that. Rorts contributed to that. Get your facts right before making ridiculous comments
Funny .. no really you ae funny. for a moment there I thought you lived on an Island south of Tasmania

I would have preferred to see jobseeker payments to be increased to be the same amount as the age pension! I can't imagine how difficult it would be to subsist on the measly amount we pay people who have lost their job through no fault of their own! It's even worse for people that have a mortgage to pay!
just how much money does the government have to dish out these amounts to EVERYONE? no wonder we are in a mess. want want want.

Absolutely. National Service should be compulsory for every male and female 18 years and over for a minimum of 2 years. Have people off the dole, have a trained citizenry for a moment's notice if any war happens. Anyone who cannot find a job in 6 months should be automatically conscripted. Then, get the WOKE out of the military.
"Anyone who cannot find a job in six months should be automatically conscripted"
Interesting thought. You would need to put an age bracket on that. But then, the ADF also has mandatory Prohibited Substance Testing. How many do you think would pass the test?
I think there would be a great deal more challenges to conscript people today than there was 60 years ago.

N
We have some great news to share with you today, especially for those who might be struggling to stretch their budgets or are in need of some additional support.

The government's JobSeeker boost is now on its way after gaining the backing of the Coalition.

In this year's federal budget, the government proposed a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and Youth Allowance payments.

This would provide some much-needed relief to the hip pockets of over a million Australians on welfare, including seniors.

View attachment 21091
The federal budget included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments. Credit: David Peterson/Pexels

Moreover, the extra $92.10 a fortnight currently received by people over 60 will now also be offered to people over the age of 55.

This is a welcome change that acknowledges the financial difficulties faced by many in this age group, helping to ease the burden of living expenses. According to reports, it’s also to recognise that people 55 and over are finding it harder to find work.

The Coalition has chosen to support the legislation, though they are planning to push for an amendment to increase the income threshold a welfare recipient can earn before their payments are reduced.

The Australian Financial Review reported that the opposition intends to propose an increase in this threshold from $150 to $300 a fortnight, arguing that this change would encourage more people to re-enter the workforce.

View attachment 21093
The increase would hopefully encourage people to go back to work. Credit: Karen Laårk Boshoff/Pexels

If the government rejects this proposal, the opposition has confirmed they will still back the unamended legislation, ensuring its passage through the Senate and guaranteeing the JobSeeker boost for those in need.

While this news brings hopeful relief for many Australians, the Head of Treasury recently warned a parliamentary committee that more challenging times lie ahead – high inflation and rising interest rates continue to put the squeeze on household incomes.

In addition to the financial pressures, the property sector is also experiencing a strain.

New building approvals have plummeted by a whopping 50 per cent in the last two years, and this lack of supply could worsen the rental and housing affordability crisis.

It was first announced earlier this month that recipients aged over 55 were expected to receive a modest increase in their JobSeeker rate.

According to the report, the decision is part of the government’s plan to bring relief to cost-of-living pressures, specifically targeting those who have been unemployed for a while and older Australians having trouble finding work.

This story also comes after a welfare recipient and a radio host ignited a heated discussion live on-air about whether or not the current system is too generous, too stingy, or just right. You can read the full story here.
Key Takeaways

• The government included a $40 fortnightly increase to JobSeeker and youth allowance payments in this year's federal budget.
  • The Coalition plans to try to change the legislation to increase the income threshold for welfare recipients before their payments are reduced.
  • The Head of Treasury warns Australians of more tough times ahead, with high inflation and rising interest rates continuing to squeeze household incomes.
Our focus here at Seniors Discount Club is always to keep you informed of the latest developments that affect your daily lives. We're here to support and entertain you, and we hope this update brought some welcome news to your day!

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments!
NOTHING as most seniors are retired and by this stage of living should all be snug and cosy. If not, too bad.

View attachment 21091

View attachment 21093

Key Takeaways

What do you think about this boost, members? Share your thoughts in the comments
I have never been able to work out why the government reduces pensioner's fortnightly payments when they work. What sort of an incentive is that for pensioners to get out and help the economy by putting more money into it? It's no cost to the government if they pay a full pension to someone who passes the assets test. If they don't work, the gov. has to pay them the full pension anyway.

In Victoria they are crying out for more people to join the force - our grandson has been going through the entry tests for so long that he is getting despondent, they do a bit here and there, no consistent follow on, no wonder younger generation get fed up, with all the red tape. So come on all companies, give EVERYONE who can do the job a go, perhaps then we don't have people from other countries ( who wouldn't allow us to work there ) come to ours. Also, why not give some of our ( " first nation people !!!!!! ) the opportunity to make an effort to help our country, instead of sitting on their arses with their hands out.

It’s a joke. Where are their brains? If the unemployed were not looking for a job under lower benefits, why would they look for a job when they get a higher benefit? I’ve a friend who hasn’t worked for over 10 years and she said you can live quite well on the unemployment benefits. Depends on what you do with your payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×