Have you ever tried online dating? If not, would you consider it?

• I HAVE tried it and enjoyed it/ found love

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I HAVE tried it and didn't enjoy it

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I HAVEN'T tried it and don't want to

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I HAVEN'T tried it but want to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Happily in a relationship; no need for online dating

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Your Say Sunday: Online Dating - Would You Try It?

Happy Sunday!

This week you may have noticed a few, dare I say, more risqué news stories. We've loved reading your replies and thought we'd stay in the world of love for this week's Your Say Sunday question.

Without further ado, the question is...

There are so many websites and apps out there so we want to know whether you've dipped your toes into the online dating pool.

We can't wait to read your replies in the comments below!

I'm still married for now so no I wouldn't.

I always thought I would never do online dating that there were too many negatives and just not safe.

Working in bridal for many years I would bond with my brides by asking questions and showing interest in them

Over the years I saw many older brides 55 plus and a question I always asked all my brides was " How did you meet " I would have to say 85 % met on line , 10 % They were together when they were young many years before then separated and went different paths , some marrying others then many years later funding each other again.

Then what I started seeing was that even more and more young brides met their future husbands on line .

My 37 year old son net his current girlfriend on a dating website and they are a perfect match

Tried it a couple of times. The first one scammed me at a very vulnerable time, but the second was a wonderful man and we had just under five years of happy marriage before he died suddenly. Have tried a couple of times since, but don’t bother any more; I guess I feel I used up all my luck with my dear Bruce.

Nineteen years ago I met my husband online. We feel as though we have been together forever, in a good way of course haha. Although he's 80 and I'm 73 we hope we have many more years together.

Reactions: Ricci and Tripper
I have tried various sites (Plenty of Fish, Christian sites etc) and I only met two decent genuine guys. They never went past a couple of dates as I didn't feel the spark. The majority were just looking for a bed warmer, or they were trying to scam me out of money. Sometimes my married friends have tried to encourage me to pursue a relationship, but I'm happy in my own skin, never lonely and can do whatever, whenever I please. Life is Good

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 0
I tried it once, the guy seemed lovely but he seemed more excited about my car…
He kissed me on first seeing me, which put me off start away, after the date he asked me to text him to make sure I was home safe which was ok but the next morning he is texting me again.
I lost my husband last year and he was a very controlling and this guy was sending my alarm bells so I ended it before it got any more serious 😜

Your Say Sunday: Online Dating - Would You Try It?

Happy Sunday!

This week you may have noticed a few, dare I say, more risqué news stories. We've loved reading your replies and thought we'd stay in the world of love for this week's Your Say Sunday question.

Without further ado, the question is...

There are so many websites and apps out there so we want to know whether you've dipped your toes into the online dating pool.

We can't wait to read your replies in the comments below!
I was happy after my husband of 43 years divorced and my kids said I needed to find someone who deserved me so they talked me into going on a coffee date with a gentleman who had contacted me through Facebook and lived a few suburbs away so I agreed. My daughter told me to make it for 1pm so if it went ok then I could make another date and if it didn’t then I could get out of there as I had to pick my grandson up from school which is true.
When I got to the cafe I couldn’t find him as he looked nothing like his photo but a phone call fixed that. He had already had his coffee and eaten so I ordered mine and sitting at the table he kept holding both my hands making it very difficult to drink my tea. We talked for about half an hour and he said he couldn’t wait to take me to Queensland to introduce his daughter to her new mother WOOOOW then he asked me to come back to his house so we could have a deeper cuddle. RED LIGHT FOR ME so I said I had to pick up my grandson from school which wasn’t a lie, he said he would walk me to my car and when I unlocked my car he runs and jumps in the passenger seat I’m still outside so when I get in the car he says he just wants a kiss. So I go to give him a kiss on the cheek and he grabs my head and gives me a hug tonguie and all I could smell and taste was raw garlic. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough he even new my address. When I told my kids they blocked him and that was my one and only time. I don’t need a man in my life as I have the most wonderful family who I see everyday and good friends so I am happy. Hope this wasn’t too boring.

I was happy after my husband of 43 years divorced and my kids said I needed to find someone who deserved me so they talked me into going on a coffee date with a gentleman who had contacted me through Facebook and lived a few suburbs away so I agreed. My daughter told me to make it for 1pm so if it went ok then I could make another date and if it didn’t then I could get out of there as I had to pick my grandson up from school which is true.
When I got to the cafe I couldn’t find him as he looked nothing like his photo but a phone call fixed that. He had already had his coffee and eaten so I ordered mine and sitting at the table he kept holding both my hands making it very difficult to drink my tea. We talked for about half an hour and he said he couldn’t wait to take me to Queensland to introduce his daughter to her new mother WOOOOW then he asked me to come back to his house so we could have a deeper cuddle. RED LIGHT FOR ME so I said I had to pick up my grandson from school which wasn’t a lie, he said he would walk me to my car and when I unlocked my car he runs and jumps in the passenger seat I’m still outside so when I get in the car he says he just wants a kiss. So I go to give him a kiss on the cheek and he grabs my head and gives me a hug tonguie and all I could smell and taste was raw garlic. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough he even new my address. When I told my kids they blocked him and that was my one and only time. I don’t need a man in my life as I have the most wonderful family who I see everyday and good friends so I am happy. Hope this wasn’t too boring.

I haven't tried it and I rationalise it to when you would go out with a few girlfriends, even just one so there weren't too many there with you. That could put off the men. Too many girls at one table.

It was normal to peruse the room and see what gents were available and I also think other girls dancing with someone on the floor and what was he like, was he with her or just a dance. You could be in a room with 200 plus men and there was not one that would grab your attention. At least for that week but you go back two weeks later and there was one or two that you'd see and hope that he'd see you and ask you for a dance.

There were a few boyfriends that I had that they saw me and asked me for that dance and then that date.

I can not see how others can say that they meet that special someone online when they actually haven't seen each other. Many have found out that there is no attraction or simply creepy people, a person that has no good intentions whatsoever.

I haven't tried it and I rationalise it to when you would go out with a few girlfriends, even just one so there weren't too many there with you. That could put off the men. Too many girls at one table.

It was normal to peruse the room and see what gents were available and I also think other girls dancing with someone on the floor and what was he like, was he with her or just a dance. You could be in a room with 200 plus men and there was not one that would grab your attention. At least for that week but you go back two weeks later and there was one or two that you'd see and hope that he'd see you and ask you for a dance.

There were a few boyfriends that I had that they saw me and asked me for that dance and then that date.

I can not see how others can say that they meet that special someone online when they actually haven't seen each other. Many have found out that there is no attraction or simply creepy people, a person that has no good intentions whatsoever.

never would online date again had a few guys my own age but they weren't interested in me and only want one thing and they only want young girls in their 20s and they are in their 50s and onwards never again i have my 2 adult sons and im happy in my own skin my sons were not happy with online dating and they used to tell me i never listened i'm surprised i'm havent been killed i find it hard to believe that people are finding love online if they are happy i wish them all the best never again i must have been desperate after my divorce i'm happy alone no man telling me what to do margie :mad: (n)

I'm still married for now so no I wouldn't.

I always thought I would never do online dating that there were too many negatives and just not safe.

Working in bridal for many years I would bond with my brides by asking questions and showing interest in them

Over the years I saw many older brides 55 plus and a question I always asked all my brides was " How did you meet " I would have to say 85 % met on line , 10 % They were together when they were young many years before then separated and went different paths , some marrying others then many years later funding each other again.

Then what I started seeing was that even more and more young brides met their future husbands on line .

My 37 year old son net his current girlfriend on a dating website and they are a perfect match
I would not subscribe to on line dating as I have no need to. Met my husband in 1980 at work and was married in 1981. My oldest son is also 37 and I ran into his pre-school teacher today at Mass. We remembered each other, which is pretty good after many years. Think everyone needs to be especially careful when dealing with strangers on line.

Reactions: Ricci
WOW. what an experience you had. I was married for 28 years and after 2 years, thought I'd put myself out there and joined a dating site. I met a man for a coffee date and after we chatted for a few minutes, I knew that there was no connection. Anyway, he came out and just asked me if I wanted to go away with him for the weekend! Obviously he hadn't read the messages as I had to work later that day and I told him as much. When I got home I promptly blocked his profile. Honestly, I couldn't believe how he thought that I'd just fall into a relationship with him after a 20 minute coffee date!

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci
Nineteen years ago I met my husband online. We feel as though we have been together forever, in a good way of course haha. Although he's 80 and I'm 73 we hope we have many more years together.
Like you Ricki I also met my husband online, he said right from the start that we must have been together in a previous lifetime, as we were comfortable with each other right from the first meeting.It has not been all champagne and roses but we are happy together for the most part.I think the fact that we were both adults at the begining, with many already formed opinions and habits has probably caused some of the friction but then people who marry early in their lives will also have that. He likes to joke that it took him 3 trys to get marriage to work for him (I am his 4th wife) He is my 3rd husband but we both are optomistic people by nature so that has helped and still does. I also hope that we will have many years together to make up for the time that was lost before we met. Maybe he will remember our wedding anniversary this year (19) and give me flowers but I won't hold my breath, the man does not have a romantic bone in his body, although he will argue the point on that.

Reactions: Ricki
Like you Ricki I also met my husband online, he said right from the start that we must have been together in a previous lifetime, as we were comfortable with each other right from the first meeting.It has not been all champagne and roses but we are happy together for the most part.I think the fact that we were both adults at the begining, with many already formed opinions and habits has probably caused some of the friction but then people who marry early in their lives will also have that. He likes to joke that it took him 3 trys to get marriage to work for him (I am his 4th wife) He is my 3rd husband but we both are optomistic people by nature so that has helped and still does. I also hope that we will have many years together to make up for the time that was lost before we met. Maybe he will remember our wedding anniversary this year (19) and give me flowers but I won't hold my breath, the man does not have a romantic bone in his body, although he will argue the point on that.
You can pick your own flowers. Hey that's a great song! I hope you have many more happy years. My husband did not have a skerrick of romance in his soul but he made me laugh every day and was the kindest human I have ever known. We had almost 50 years together. I miss my Super Star. Acceptance and wonderful memories now

• Love
Reactions: Gaena

So happy for you Gaena on 19 yrs together. James (hubby) is very romantic and I am less so but I appreciate that he is. Like yourselves we've had our moments but I've attributed that to being set in our ways at our age. I would recommend it to others but be wary of those who have ill intentions . All the best to you both.

• Love
Reactions: Gaena