'I felt empty': Primary school bans grandparents from entering classrooms

The bond between grandparents and their grandchildren is special—often filled with stories, laughter, and learning experiences spanning generations.

It's a relationship many hold dear as they understand the value of these intergenerational connections.

However, a recent incident highlighted a growing tension between the cherished role of grandparents in education and the stringent regulations meant to protect children.

Several grandparents were denied entry to their grandchildren's classrooms at St Joseph's Primary School Yarra Junction.

The school initially invited grandparents to an 'Inquiry Afternoon' to present historical items to students in grades one and two, an opportunity for the young ones to learn about the past directly from their elders.

compressed-pexels-kampus-7854120.jpeg
Grandparents do their best to be involved with their grandchildren’s growth by teaching them timeless wisdom. Image Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production

Grandparents arrived with old photographs, telephones, cameras, clocks, and a unicycle, ready to share their knowledge and memories.

However, the atmosphere quickly soured after being told they could not participate without a Working With Children's Check (WWCC).

Families were upset and questioned the school's policies, which led to the situation.

Requesting for WWCC is not new, as it serves as a precautionary measure to ensure the children's safety by conducting background checks on individuals who work with children.

However, applying for a WWCC for a school event where grandparents were merely visitors sparked debate.

One grandmother recounted her distress when she could not enter the classroom and how her granddaughter almost burst into tears.

Another grandparent felt 'a bit empty' after taking a day off work, only to be turned away.

'I can understand if it's one-on-one if you're on an excursion because you're taking them to the toilet and things, but we were in a room full of people…and there were heaps of grandparents there,' she said.

Both grandmothers acknowledged a note about the WWCC requirement but felt that the school's communication could have been more transparent.

While 29 other grandparents could attend, excluding other grandparents raised questions about the balance between child safety and the inclusion of family members in school activities.

The Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools, which oversees St Joseph's Primary School, defended the decision and emphasised the importance of complying with child safety standards.

'We acknowledge the disappointing experience of the four grandparents who couldn't attend the Grandparents Day and are attempting to call these families,' a spokesperson said.

The spokesperson also stated that the school already contacted the affected families.

They also reiterated that staff can request a WWCC from anyone on school grounds.

This incident is a reminder of the complexities involved in protecting children, all while fostering a sense of community and family involvement in education.

It's a delicate balance that schools and families must navigate together.

Being involved in our grandchildren's lives, including their educational journey, is essential.
Key Takeaways

• Several grandparents were denied entry to their grandchildren's classroom at St Joseph's Primary School in Yarra Junction for not having a Working With Children's Check (WWCC).
  • The grandparents were invited for an 'Inquiry Afternoon' to share knowledge with students, but those without the required clearance could not participate.
  • ' Better communication' was expected from the school regarding the WWCC, as noted by affected grandparents who felt disappointed by the enforcement of this policy.
  • Melbourne Archdiocese Catholic Schools acknowledged the disappointment caused by the policy. However, they emphasised the importance of child safety standards.
How do you think schools should handle visitor policies while keeping children safe? Your insights are valuable, so let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
surely if these people were being supervised / observed by a teacher (or other member of staff), then the WWC would not be required for single afternoon.
either the school has misinterpreted the regulation, or there is over-governing by the victorian (oh! what a surprise!) state government.

It quite definitely says WORKING with children - not attending a room with employee supervision. They could have sought parental permission to enter the classroom of their child. How ridiculous. Most of these kids would either be supervised or visit their grandparents when mum and dad need a break

I went to a grandparent day like this with one of my grandsons and no grandparent there was asked to provide a WWSC or a Blue Card for working with children.
I volunteered at my granddaughters school in the classroom and the Tuckshop & had to have a Blue Card for that which I had because at the time I was involved with Scouting.

I was obliged to obtain a Workimg with Children clearance in order to give some tutorials in a community setting, to senior school children, some of whom were over 18. It was an annoying hassle, which involved fronting up in person at a centre some distance away to prove I was me. As I was a volunteer it was free for me, but there is often a fee involved. The permit lasts three years (I think) but once it ran out I withdrew from the volunteer programme.