This surprise competitor crashed Ironman Australia: 'They let him do his own thing'

Marathons are a fun activity—it's a great venue to meet like-minded individuals who love the adrenaline rush of fitness or those trying to get in more steps in their routine.

Amid the gruelling Ironman Australia triathlon in Port Macquarie, competitors met with an unexpected yet adorable competitor.

A local koala, known affectionately as 'Big Boy', decided to join the race.

This surprise guest crossed athletes' paths as they powered through the final leg of their triathlon, providing a unique Aussie twist to the event.

Big Boy, a regular sight for those living nearby, seemed unfazed by the commotion of the triathlon.

Jason Hannah, a local familiar with the koala's antics, captured the charming incident.

photo (1).jpg
A koala named ‘Big Boy’ crossed a road amid the Ironman Australia Triathlon. Image Credits: Jason Hannah

'He lives behind our place, so we see him every day. He goes over there every few days and sits in the gum trees on the riverside,' he shared.

'He walks around like he owns the joint. Everybody leaves him alone, and they let him do his own thing. He's one of the residents, really.'

Big Boy's triathlon cameo quickly went viral, drawing thousands of responses from delighted social media users.

It's not every day that Australia's most iconic marsupial graces an Ironman race.

However, the encounter was a reminder of the country's unique wildlife.

Koala Conservation Australia Advisor Cheyne Flanagan weighed in on the video with joy.

'It looked to me to be a young male and looked to be in excellent condition, which was great to see,' she said.

Urban koalas are accustomed to human presence—a contrast to their more reclusive bush-dwelling counterparts.

This adaptability allows them to navigate populated areas easily.

However, it has its challenges.

While seeing a healthy koala like Big Boy is heartwarming, it also underscores the significant pressures these animals face.

'This is a classic sign of loss of habitat, and these animals have to struggle in areas where habitat has been removed,' Flanagan stated.

Urban development and lack of native vegetation forced koalas to adapt to less ideal environments, often with dangerous consequences.

'The number of koalas being hit by cars recently has been concerning. It's also the rise in disease, which tends to manifest in areas where habitat has been disturbed,' Flanagan added.

The NSW government has been working on the NSW Koala Strategy to restore habitats and protect these beloved creatures.

'People can also play a part by slowing down when driving in known koala areas and calling wildlife carers if they see an injured animal,' she concluded.
As we enjoy Australia's natural heritage, we must remember our role in preserving it for future generations.

Whether you're an avid triathlete or a casual observer, encounters like the one with Big Boy serve as a poignant reminder of the delicate balance between human activity and wildlife conservation.
Key Takeaways

• Competitors were surprised by a koala joining in on the Ironman Australia triathlon.
  • The koala, nicknamed Big Boy, seemed to be in excellent health, according to a Koala Conservation Australia advisor.
  • The sighting of the koala highlighted habitat loss issues and the challenges urban environments brought.
  • Koala Conservation Australia stressed the importance of government and public efforts in habitat restoration and wildlife protection, especially in areas where koalas are at risk.
Have you ever had a close encounter with a koala or another native animal in unexpected places? Share your stories in the comments below.

Reactions: NotNats
Sponsored
You need to have a smart tv or course. Streaming is watching tv using the internet.. Most smart tv's have apps that you can use, same as a computer, some free, some subscriptions. I use an app called web video caster (yellow icon}. After downloading the apps on your phone or tablet (not sure about computers} open the web video caster browser on the phone and search for free movies or whatever you like and when you click play with the phone and the app will ask which device to watch it on. The phone app should find your tv and click on that. It should then connect to the tv and play your selection. I use "myflixter.to" as I find it quite good. Most are free content with no ads but make sure you block ads in the settings on the phone. You might have to enter a code on the tv app the first time but after that it should connect as soon as you click on the app. You can also bypass the phone and use the app directly from the tv but you may have a few more clicks to watch. I use this this method to watch the couple of tv shows that I do like from you tube as well but not content on youtube can be played on the tv. I don't use any subscription chanels. Hope this helps. It's reallt easy after a few goes. When searching for free content it's better to type the address into the browser rather than click on the link to open it directly. Seems to work better. Make sure you have security on your phone and I also use VPN for extra security. I use my tablet because I don't have banking apps etc installed. I feel safer that way. Hope this helps and happy viewing.