Woolworths abandons plans to produce all paper bags in Australia

We all love supporting local businesses and Australian-made products, right? Well, if we told you that Woolworths supermarket recently abandoned its plans to produce all paper bags in the country, you might be a little bit surprised, to say the least.

Now, let's take a stroll down memory lane, back to 2020 when Woolworths faced widespread criticism for producing their 25-cent paper bags overseas in countries such as China and Vietnam.

compressed-bags-g128a5536b_1280.jpeg
Woolworths supermarket has recently decided against producing all paper bags within the country. Image by matthiasboeckel from pixabay

The supermarket giant quickly made amends, pledging in 2021 to produce '100 per cent' of its paper bags locally, following a deal with Australian manufacturer Detpak, a South Australian-based company.

According to a Woolworths Group spokesperson in an official statement, ‘The supermarket has been working with Detpak to plan and grow local capacity since early 2020 to produce the paper bags at scale in Australia and support a transition to a 100% Australian-made line nationally.’

However, in a surprising turn of events, Woolworths has reassessed this promise, admitting that it still manufactures paper bags in China and Vietnam!

It seems that the demand for paper bags has skyrocketed recently, especially since Woolworths has phased out its 15-cent plastic bags from stores nationally.

It's important to note that a Woolworths spokesperson clarified their position. According to 7NEWS.com.au, the supermarket remains committed to collaborating with two Australian companies, Detpak and Victoria-based Opal, in order to produce more paper bags within the country.

The spokesperson emphasised their dedication to reducing plastic waste in the community by removing soft plastic shopping bags from their checkouts.

They further added: ‘We're encouraging customers to bring their own bags. However, we understand that more customers will now rely on our paper bags, and unfortunately, we are currently unable to source enough locally to meet the increased demand.’

compressed-photo-1604719312566-8912e9227c6a.jpeg
The current production capacity for paper bags in Australia is limited. Photo by Franki Chamaki on Unsplash

The spokesperson explained that the production capacity for paper bags in Australia is limited at present, but they are actively working with the two Australian manufacturers to obtain as many locally made paper bags as possible.

This revelation has already raised a few eyebrows, as one curious Woolworths shopper noticed that the supermarket was selling bags made in different countries at the same store.

'Interesting find, two bags from the same store,' the customer wrote on Facebook. 'Have to wonder how true the Australian claims are when the other clearly states made in China. Gee, can't wait for the explanation on this.'

Woolworths has partnered with Detpak and Opal, supporting investment in new machinery to boost production capacity. This partnership has created 30 Australian jobs at Opal and 24 at Detpak. The paper used for these bags is produced at the Maryvale mill in rural Victoria.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths supermarket has abandoned plans to manufacture all of its paper bags in Australia due to increased demand.
  • The retail giant faced backlash in 2020 for producing its 25-cent paper bags overseas and later pledged to produce '100 per cent' of its paper bags locally.
  • Woolworths is still manufacturing paper bags in China and Vietnam and will continue to work with two Australian companies to manufacture more paper bags in Australia.
  • Since 2020, Woolworths has partnered with Australian companies Detpak and Opal to increase the supply of locally made bags, creating 30 jobs at Opal and 24 at Detpak.

Woolworths' discussions with Australian manufacturers are still ongoing. It is believed that this move was not driven by customer backlash but rather by their own desire to work with Australian suppliers.

So, members, while we might not be able to enjoy 100 per cent Australian-made paper bags in our local Woolworths store just yet, we can still support the store's push for locally manufactured bags by bringing our own reusable options every time we shop.

By doing so, we actively contribute to minimising plastic waste.

Let's continue taking small actions that count and demonstrate the importance of reducing plastic waste. Happy shopping, and don't forget to reuse those bags!

On that note, how do you personally contribute to reducing plastic waste in your everyday life?

Sponsored
I can remember when I was a kid all the groceries were packed in cardboard boxes that the shop received the stock in.

Mom would come home and say that there is some boxes in the car to be bought inside so my brother and I would bring the boxes in and put them on the kitchen table. The empty boxes were burnt in a fire (Slow combustion stove).

Can someone explain why this is not happening now this would solve a major problem.

I am sure that Woollies will sort it out soon, they are probably having issues with the quantities they need and the cost involved which would be the problem with the suppliers. I got my groceries home delivered the other day and it came in all paper bags which presents another issue. I now have to buy kitchen tidy bags instead of using the Woollies plastic bags from their home delivery. Also, what do I do with all the paper carry bags I now have? Perhaps put them in the bin to go to landfill as they are useless to me for anything else. There seems to be some issues here.

We all love supporting local businesses and Australian-made products, right? Well, if we told you that Woolworths supermarket recently abandoned its plans to produce all paper bags in the country, you might be a little bit surprised, to say the least.

Now, let's take a stroll down memory lane, back to 2020 when Woolworths faced widespread criticism for producing their 25-cent paper bags overseas in countries such as China and Vietnam.

View attachment 21889
Woolworths supermarket has recently decided against producing all paper bags within the country. Image by matthiasboeckel from pixabay

The supermarket giant quickly made amends, pledging in 2021 to produce '100 per cent' of its paper bags locally, following a deal with Australian manufacturer Detpak, a South Australian-based company.

According to a Woolworths Group spokesperson in an official statement, ‘The supermarket has been working with Detpak to plan and grow local capacity since early 2020 to produce the paper bags at scale in Australia and support a transition to a 100% Australian-made line nationally.’

However, in a surprising turn of events, Woolworths has reassessed this promise, admitting that it still manufactures paper bags in China and Vietnam!

It seems that the demand for paper bags has skyrocketed recently, especially since Woolworths has phased out its 15-cent plastic bags from stores nationally.

It's important to note that a Woolworths spokesperson clarified their position. According to 7NEWS.com.au, the supermarket remains committed to collaborating with two Australian companies, Detpak and Victoria-based Opal, in order to produce more paper bags within the country.

The spokesperson emphasised their dedication to reducing plastic waste in the community by removing soft plastic shopping bags from their checkouts.

They further added: ‘We're encouraging customers to bring their own bags. However, we understand that more customers will now rely on our paper bags, and unfortunately, we are currently unable to source enough locally to meet the increased demand.’

View attachment 21890
The current production capacity for paper bags in Australia is limited. Photo by Franki Chamaki on Unsplash

The spokesperson explained that the production capacity for paper bags in Australia is limited at present, but they are actively working with the two Australian manufacturers to obtain as many locally made paper bags as possible.

This revelation has already raised a few eyebrows, as one curious Woolworths shopper noticed that the supermarket was selling bags made in different countries at the same store.

'Interesting find, two bags from the same store,' the customer wrote on Facebook. 'Have to wonder how true the Australian claims are when the other clearly states made in China. Gee, can't wait for the explanation on this.'

Woolworths has partnered with Detpak and Opal, supporting investment in new machinery to boost production capacity. This partnership has created 30 Australian jobs at Opal and 24 at Detpak. The paper used for these bags is produced at the Maryvale mill in rural Victoria.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket has abandoned plans to manufacture all of its paper bags in Australia due to increased demand.
  • The retail giant faced backlash in 2020 for producing its 25-cent paper bags overseas and later pledged to produce '100 per cent' of its paper bags locally.
  • Woolworths is still manufacturing paper bags in China and Vietnam and will continue to work with two Australian companies to manufacture more paper bags in Australia.
  • Since 2020, Woolworths has partnered with Australian companies Detpak and Opal to increase the supply of locally made bags, creating 30 jobs at Opal and 24 at Detpak.

Woolworths' discussions with Australian manufacturers are still ongoing. It is believed that this move was not driven by customer backlash but rather by their own desire to work with Australian suppliers.

So, members, while we might not be able to enjoy 100 per cent Australian-made paper bags in our local Woolworths store just yet, we can still support the store's push for locally manufactured bags by bringing our own reusable options every time we shop.

Let's continue taking small actions that count and demonstrate the importance of reducing plastic waste. Happy shopping, and don't forget to reuse those bags!

On that note, how do you personally contribute to reducing plastic waste in your everyday life?
The paper bags aren't worth buying either, better take your own, I picked mine up from the checkout and the handle broke, groceries everywhere. No replacement bag, not even some help to pick them up!

I can remember when I was a kid all the groceries were packed in cardboard boxes that the shop received the stock in.

Mom would come home and say that there is some boxes in the car to be bought inside so my brother and I would bring the boxes in and put them on the kitchen table. The empty boxes were burnt in a fire (Slow combustion stove).

Can someone explain why this is not happening now this would solve a major problem.
At least one Woolworths in Adelaide (brickworks) has a large amount of boxes available at the checkouts to use - more should do it. Maybe where they used to have the soft plastic recycling collection ! My sister and I used to shop for the family in our bikes, with boxes on our carriers 😊and then dad would use the boxes to light the fire in winter

Reactions: DLHM
I am sure that Woollies will sort it out soon, they are probably having issues with the quantities they need and the cost involved which would be the problem with the suppliers. I got my groceries home delivered the other day and it came in all paper bags which presents another issue. I now have to buy kitchen tidy bags instead of using the Woollies plastic bags from their home delivery. Also, what do I do with all the paper carry bags I now have? Perhaps put them in the bin to go to landfill as they are useless to me for anything else. There seems to be some issues here.
Put your paper bags in the recycling bin if you have no other purpose for them

Reading the article it sounds like (hopefully) it’s a temporary issue until australia can keep up with the manufacturing demand, so I’m not sure why this has to be highlighted as an issue and definitely doesn’t deserve the title that Woolworths Abandons plans to manufacture in Australia. I think you need to be fair re these articles. But if people took their own green bags then there wouldn’t be the demand.

They should not have started with selling paper bags , more landfill.
Just bring in your own shopping bags , we put them straight back in the car after been to the shops and packed away the groceries. I have never , ever bought a shopping bag in the supermarket ,always bring my own . It is a waste of money and not good for the environment. It is a no brainer.!

I remember using boxes as a kid, stuff didnt slide round in the car boot either. However to answer your question, do you remember how much space the big pile of boxes took up in the shop, the pile was huge and no shop today is gonna give up that retail space and get no financial return.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Like everyone else is saying, bring your own bags and stop complaining. Australia has had plenty of time to pull its finger out of its bum and learn to take its own bags to the shops. Or if you have to buy a bag you have to buy an expensive one and then you reuse it. Stop complaining like little children and get on with life like we did before there were plastic bags.

View attachment 21889

View attachment 21890

Key Takeaways

I have heaps of cold bags I take with me.

View attachment 21889

View attachment 21890

Key Takeaways

These people don't care about us, they care about their share holders and the CEO bonus's. I remember when I was a child Woolworths and Coles used to supply brown paper bags a lot bigger than the babies they sell you now to put your shopping in for free, ( it was called free but we all know we used to pay ultimately) but now they charge you for a brown paper bag made in China or some other third world country. What is wrong with this country. When will they stop packaging meat and veges and other products in plastic. They big note themselves over getting rid of one part of the plastic revolution, whooped deee dooo. Then charge you 15 or 20 cents for something that would cost them less than a cent each.

Do you not have a recycling bin to put them in?

Holy cow.
Question .... How many trees died to make these paper bags?
Get of your bottom Oz shoppers and bring your own bleedin.... bags.
40 years ago I decided to ditch packing bags and took a fold up trolley to the supermarket, filled it at the register then loaded it into the back of the car. No bags. I used to get laughed at. I continued this until I could no longer pick up the trolley. Now I use my own calico or cotton bags of varying sizes. I don't bother with cold bags because I plan my shop and go straight home to refrigerate.
All this fuss about where they are made when we need to consider what they are made of.
Old shiela tip ... Natural fibre ... your own bag ... pay once and keep for a long time ... doesn't break up in the rain ... need I go on?

Across the road at Coles I used to pay .15c for a plastic bag, the other day when at Coles they offered me a paper bag, asked how much they were and was told .25c a bag ! Years ago, pre-plastic era, you were given the paper bags for free. The only good thing about those bags was, that by the time you went from the checkout to the front door the bottoms fell out of the bags.

Spot on. I received my order yesterday mostly in paper bags with the one with the milk splitting and the milk falling on the floor and splitting open. These bags are useless, now to get rid of them and buy plastic garbage bags. No plastic saved and a lot of paper wasted. Unbelievably stupid. John

Holy cow.
Question .... How many trees died to make these paper bags?
Get of your bottom Oz shoppers and bring your own bleedin.... bags.
40 years ago I decided to ditch packing bags and took a fold up trolley to the supermarket, filled it at the register then loaded it into the back of the car. No bags. I used to get laughed at. I continued this until I could no longer pick up the trolley. Now I use my own calico or cotton bags of varying sizes. I don't bother with cold bags because I plan my shop and go straight home to refrigerate.
All this fuss about where they are made when we need to consider what they are made of.
Old shiela tip ... Natural fibre ... your own bag ... pay once and keep for a long time ... doesn't break up in the rain ... need I go on?
Love your answer and your principles but, I have home delivery for health reasons so what is the answer for me? Is there a service where I can send my own bags to them to pack?

Reactions: DLHM and Granny*Deb

View attachment 21889

View attachment 21890

Key Takeaways

I feel people should take their own bags. A lot of years ago large paper bags were included with your groceries @ no charge.

Reactions: DLHM and Granny*Deb