To my previous 2 posts. Yes, I had a brand new Globite when started high school. I always had it loaded with the school issued text books & also your exercise books which you had to have for just about all subjects you were being taught. It was damned heavy to cart around, but you just had to cope with it all.

As "Gunpark" mentioned & which I can also attest too, they were extremely sturdy & made great seats to sit on waiting for the trains to come along. Great old memories.

I went to Canterbury Boy's High School from Bexley North Primary School in (I think) 1947/8. I had a brand new Globite school case. It was handy for sitting on as I had to catch trains to get to Canterbury, and as I travelled in peak hours seats were rare both at stations and on trains. The good old Globite did the job nicely.
A close friend of mine taught at Canterbury Boys maybe 20 years ago . I live near Bexley North

Last edited:
Swan Hill high school, left in 1962
Hi there! I started High School at Swan Hill High in 1959 and left after finishing Matriculation in 1964. I didn't accomplish much in the way of sport at school, I took part in a few school musicals, but my main claim to fame while there, was having to be taken to hospital after being hit by a javelin. LOL!

Thanks @Suzanne rose
Great timing...Trinity Bay High School in Cairns Queensland graduates from year 12 in 1974 and year 10 1972..actually any of our cohort from year 8, 1970 through to year 12, 1974 are invited to attend a reunion in Cairns in October. Contact me for further information.

Last edited:
Went to Mitchelton , Brisbane, State High from 1963 to 1965. Was a good school. While just a little above average student, I enjoyed school. Two of the teachers were standouts for me.
Ray Davies - chemistry teacher. He looked like Stan Laurel (for Laurel and Hardy fans). We asked him a number of times if he was ever a musician in the group “the Kinks” , in which Ray Davies and his brother were members. He always told us we were ridiculous.
“Snowy” Cottam - Manual Arts and Tech Drawing teacher. My sister was 7 years older than me and was the in the first intake through this school, all the way to Senior. Snowy was there all this time. He always had a bad habit of scratching his bum. My sisters class made of a little ditty about him. “If it’s pimples you are wantin-Cottams bottoms gotum “. In one of my classes he said to us “I heard a very interesting yarn the other day, and I’d like to know the author “. It only took 8 odd years for him to hear it.
Snowy was a great teacher. Memories.
Kev.

I started high school in 1974 it was first form back then

I started at peakhurst high but was only there for 6 months then went to Kingsgrove North High then transferred to Dulwich Hill High which is where I met my husband
I attended Southport State High School,
Queensland. 1960 to 1963.
Sub Junior, Junior, Sub Senior, Senior.

Narwee Boys became co Ed for a couple of years before closing. It became a really bad school, at one stage the principal would walk the streets after school due to on a couple of seperate times fights broke out at the station and students were thrown on the tracks. I knew a teacher there and she said they closed because they couldn't control the students, it became like a school in the Bronx. So it was sold to build housing.
I remember one afternoon we were waiting at the bus stop for our school bus.
The bus arrived, the driver’s name was
Frank. Someone threw an unlit fire cracker into the bus, which landed at Frank’s feet. He grabbed the crank handle from under his seat, jumped out of the bus, and waved it at us. Thereafter he had the nickname “ Crank Handle Frank”, which ultimately was shortened to
“Cranky Franky.” True story!!