Welfare boost on the horizon: Treasurer hints at significant increase ahead of federal budget

As the Australian government prepares to unveil its federal budget next week, Treasurer Jim Chalmers has hinted at a much-anticipated welfare boost for recipients across the nation.

This move is a response to the recommendations made by the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee (EIAC), a body that has been instrumental in advising on measures to enhance economic inclusion and support for society's most vulnerable.

The EIAC made 22 recommendations, one of which is to significantly increase the rate of JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension.

This would result in a substantial rise for single people on JobSeeker, from the current $762.70 per fortnight to a proposed $1004.67.

This equates to an additional $121 per week or about $17 per day, which could make a real difference in the lives of many Australians struggling to make ends meet.

compressed-shutterstock_1992002486.jpeg
Welfare recipients could receive higher support payments following EIAC recommendations in the federal budget. Credits: Shutterstock

Treasurer Chalmers, while not committing to any specific recommendations just yet, has acknowledged the importance of the EIAC's work and the need for the government to take careful steps in implementing these changes.

‘There will be additional steps in this budget which are conscious of the recommendations that that important, well-regarded, well-informed committee, has put to us,’ Treasurer Chalmers stated.

‘We take it seriously. We can't afford to do every recommendation put to us by that committee.’

‘In some cases, announcing future directions is warranted. In others, we need to be a bit more careful because we need to be cognisant of the budget situation and what we can afford.’

‘We don't want to over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to our most vulnerable people,’ he added.

The EIAC suggested that the government implement the JobSeeker increase in stages rather than all at once.

They also urged the government to commit to a specific timeframe for these changes, to provide clarity and assurance to those who rely on these payments.

As of March last year, 740,800 Australians were receiving JobSeeker payments, highlighting the significant impact any changes to the welfare system could have.

Other recommendations from the EIAC include increasing rent assistance payments, investing in social and affordable housing for Indigenous communities, and overhauling the employment services system to better serve job seekers.

In a positive turn for the nation's finances, Chalmers also announced that net debt is projected to be $152 billion lower than what was forecast by the previous Coalition government.

According to him, this reduction in debt could save Australia $80 billion in interest payments over the next decade, potentially freeing up funds for critical investments in social welfare and infrastructure.

The federal budget—set to be handed down next Tuesday, May 14—is shaping up to be a pivotal moment for the government's economic strategy and its commitment to supporting the most vulnerable members of our community.

As the federal budget for 2024 comes under scrutiny with discussions on welfare enhancements and economic inclusion, it's vital to consider how these proposed changes could impact various demographics, including seniors.

With potential boosts in pension payments on the horizon, millions of retirees eagerly await news of any adjustments that could positively affect their financial well-being.
Key Takeaways
  • Welfare recipients may see an increase in support payments as per recommendations set to be included in the federal budget.
  • The Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee recommended a rise in JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension rate.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers stated the need for careful consideration of the budget when adopting the committee's recommendations.
  • The federal budget, which could include changes to rent assistance and employment services, will be announced next Tuesday, May 14.
How do you feel about the proposed changes? What impact would an increase in JobSeeker payments have on your life? Join the conversation and let’s discuss in the comments below.

Sponsored
While I feel sorry for those who really want a job and cannot get one, I am fed up with the constant whining of those on Jobseeker allowance who complain that they have to apply for so many jobs a week. I especially am annoyed by those who apply for jobs that they know they are not qualified to get just to cover their requirements. Those applications should not be counted as part of the requirements. I am concerned that by raising the level of payment to 90% of the age pension there will be NO desire for these people to actually accept any job. As it is, a large number won’t apply/take a job that they consider is beneath them. Many of such people have not done any training in any field and so few jobs that pay well are open to them. We have multigenerational unemployment now, where because grand parents got by not working, but getting all the Centrelink payments available, their children did the same and now their grandchildren have the same attitude. Once upon a time holding a job, of any sort, was part of a strong mental attitude . That no longer exists. So many jobs are just shufling paper and are not producing any real product. This is the problem with the loss of manufacturing industries in this country. Until we go back to some of the old attitudes and practices and actually drop the level of payment to Jobseekers we will not get these jobless really looking for a job. Any job!
Lol I was told by my jobnobber to apply for a particular job or lose my payment So I did. The employer asked why I had applied for a job that was totally out of my league as it was a scientist position .I replied I think it might have been because I was having a bad hair day and she mistook me for Einstein. So you may want to think again about people applying for jobs knowing they won't get it they are told they have to.

Reactions: Littleboy8
My daughter's carer, who I was talking about previously, actually did two days a week at an op shop and still had time to apply for jobs.
I'm afraid you're wrong though about some of the young ones. My niece works for Centrelink and she told me the ones you see doing volunteer work are the ones who are looking for work, but the ones who aren't don't do any volunteer work because Centrelink have basically given up on even trying with them(and she said you'd be surprised just how many there are)they don't turn up for volunteer work and when they do get a job they stuff up so they get sacked and go back on
the dole. This doesn't apply only to the young, she says mainly 20 to 40 years old .
Yeh finally someone telling the TRUTH about how many BLUDGERS there are, thank you for pointing that out. I am sick of the bleeding hearts telling us that is the MINORITY. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Yeh finally someone telling the TRUTH about how many BLUDGERS there are, thank you for pointing that out. I am sick of the bleeding hearts telling us that is the MINORITY. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
the ones working in OP shops are on Job seeker to old to be employed just biding their time until the pension I know at least 2 in their 60's!

Reactions: mylittletibbies
What is this $ 500 Bonus for Seniors ??? Can"t see any Bonus ?!! Another useless and misleading information on advertising. Why editors don't check prior printing

Well they did give us an increase last time with pension and carers allowance and two payments of $250.00 I know it's not a lot but seriously there is a recession if we all lived in tiny houses had solar on our roof and compost toilets and didn't need toooooo much heating or cooling stopped consuming so much which we don't need and lived simply in community growing our own foods in each suburb and the oldest could do watering and making cups of tea for the ones that can garden we would all be much happier less stressed and satisfied with the little that we all have together
But alas that is a pipe dream

the ones working in OP shops are on Job seeker to old to be employed just biding their time until the pension I know at least 2 in their 60's!
I'm talking about EVERYONE we all know the people over 60 MUST volunteer so just make the same rule for everyone after all over 60's won't get paid if they DON"T volunteer so what's the difference for younger people, and yes if they have an interview they are excused for the day to go.

I. Think pensioner's also get an increase, not sure how much though
Not "on the horizon."
Whatever is announced in the budget on Tues night 14th May, will not be passed on to pensioners until 3rd week in September 2024.

Sorry to rain on your celebtations, but that's how govt does it.
Make the announcements, then prolong the waiting period.

Meanwhile we see inflation and CPI rising, but they weasel the numbers - like last time the CPI was "3.6%."
That meant only half of that (1.78%) was applied to pension increases, and only $0.80 to rent assistance.
Everyone who shops, pays rent etc knows that the CPI was closer to 10%.
Many supermarket prices went up from 25% to 80% ... not everything, but enough to make grocery shopping a torture.
Cruelty.

Well they did give us an increase last time with pension and carers allowance and two payments of $250.00 I know it's not a lot but seriously there is a recession if we all lived in tiny houses had solar on our roof and compost toilets and didn't need toooooo much heating or cooling stopped consuming so much which we don't need and lived simply in community growing our own foods in each suburb and the oldest could do watering and making cups of tea for the ones that can garden we would all be much happier less stressed and satisfied with the little that we all have together
But alas that is a pipe dream
Some good thoughts there.
I remember when a street in Buderim, Qld grew fruit and veges on the verge (footpath).
People shared the produce freely. The vacant footpaths were used productively, and yet room to walk safely, clear of traffic, was retained.
Council came and ripped out the lot of it.
Buderim is not the only place these community gardens were growing on the footpaths.

Not "on the horizon."
Whatever is announced in the budget on Tues night 14th May, will not be passed on to pensioners until 3rd week in September 2024.

Sorry to rain on your celebtations, but that's how govt does it.
Make the announcements, then prolong the waiting period.

Meanwhile we see inflation and CPI rising, but they weasel the numbers - like last time the CPI was "3.6%."
That meant only half of that (1.78%) was applied to pension increases, and only $0.80 to rent assistance.
Everyone who shops, pays rent etc knows that the CPI was closer to 10%.
Many supermarket prices went up from 25% to 80% ... not everything, but enough to make grocery shopping a torture.
Cruelty.
I've seen no mention at all of any actual increase to age, disability or carer pensions.
For those renting there is an increase in rent assistance which is desperately needed, but nowhere near enough.
With rents so ridiculously high in many areas the pension plus the rent assistance is barely enough to cover the rent, let alone utilities, food and all other general expenses.
I am lucky enough to own my home and have no debts so I manage OK, but it is getting more difficult with a 50% increase in my house and contents insurance,40% in car insurance despite the fact that I have made no claims and the value decreases each year.
Council and water rates go up every year, the govt increase all their charges,car rego, etc.and the six monthly CPI increases do not keep pace with the actual cost of living.
Pensioners, irregardless of whether you are a home owner or not, just keep falling further and further behind.
Worker's get tax cuts, but a large percentage of workers these days earn more in a week than pensioners get a fortnight.
MPs meanwhile continue to give themselves massive payrises, along with their chauffeur driven cars, rent assistance, in some cases,for living in their own homes, airfares to fly around the world for conferences that could just as easily be done by video link.
They keep having royal commissions etc into this, that and the other, costing millions. Hire consultants to tell them how to do their job,and then take no notice of any of the things put forward,wasting millions more.
It doesn't matter who is in power they are,in the main, incompetent. Many have no knowledge whatsoever in the portfolios they are given to manage.
????????????😡😫😵😵‍💫😩

Reactions: Ingot
Well tonight's Budget was a bit of a fizzer, as far as assistance to those struggling with the Cost of Living goes. One handout: $300 per household energy supplement.

I watched Sarah Ferguson and David Speers after the Budget speech.
The only sensible thing said all night was by Jacqui Lambie and David Pocock.
Both agreed that THEY didn't need the $300 energy supplemental payment.

Jacqui is not known for being a deep thinker, but this one slipped out! 😂

They both agreed they are getting heaps more from the public purse than pensioners and people on other forms of welfare.
They simply thought it was money that need not be spent on those who are already coping ok.

Rent assistance is going to be increased by ... (wait for it) ... a whopping ... 10%.
I'm not giving much away by declaring that my Rent Assistance went up $0.80 in March, and unless Labor breaks with tradition and gives immediate rent assistance increases, I will not see this 10% increase until around 29th September 2024.

The grand total of the increase?
$8.86!

At the same time, politicians are going to receive a tax cut of more than $4,500 from 1st July 2024 ... and that's before the Remuneration Tribunal decides to give them the $3.6% CPI salary increase.

Nauseating and exhausting.
Aren't you getting just a little bit fed up with this circus?
Where is the Australian Pensioner's League when you need someone to speak up?

Attachments

• Labor Budget.PNG
    Labor Budget.PNG
    473.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Littleboy8
Well tonight's Budget was a bit of a fizzer, as far as assistance to those struggling with the Cost of Living goes. One handout: $300 per household energy supplement.

I watched Sarah Ferguson and David Speers after the Budget speech.
The only sensible thing said all night was by Jacqui Lambie and David Pocock.
Both agreed that THEY didn't need the $300 energy supplemental payment.

Jacqui is not known for being a deep thinker, but this one slipped out! 😂

They both agreed they are getting heaps more from the public purse than pensioners and people on other forms of welfare.
They simply thought it was money that need not be spent on those who are already coping ok.

Rent assistance is going to be increased by ... (wait for it) ... a whopping ... 10%.
I'm not giving much away by declaring that my Rent Assistance went up $0.80 in March, and unless Labor breaks with tradition and gives immediate rent assistance increases, I will not see this 10% increase until around 29th September 2024.

The grand total of the increase?
$8.86!

At the same time, politicians are going to receive a tax cut of more than $4,500 from 1st July 2024 ... and that's before the Remuneration Tribunal decides to give them the $3.6% CPI salary increase.

Nauseating and exhausting.
Aren't you getting just a little bit fed up with this circus?
Where is the Australian Pensioner's League when you need someone to speak up?
🤣🤣love it👍

My 18 y.o. non working lazy little bugger of a grandson will be jumping with joy at the likelihood of this extra money for doing nothing. He lives at home & lives very cheaply (much to my daughter's disgust but his father's support).

Get these people working in the Community, picking up rubbish, cleaning up illegal rubbish dumplings or anything else, whatever, but make them work for what they get!!!
Well the government want unemployed to keep inflation down, so look at him as doing you/us a service :)

You are right about that.
CTP insurance is almost the same as Comprehensive these days.
take there share, it wilCTP: $309
Comprehensive: $360 for a car worth abou $5k.
Oh and when we do get the money housing will want there share , and of course the rest will l all go back in the pockets of the wealthy just what it's ment to do. As for the budget what a joke, I'm shore people earning millions need a power rebate, so long as it was easy for albosleezy to just say all can get it, must be hard to get paid lots for such a hard decision, I though the country was about the people seem not, polatitions sold out the country, no industry left to pay the massive debt, so what do they do, TAX US, the low income earner, wow , what a mess they have no idea what to do, just flip floppy around hoping they can last long enough the feather there nest, the government is a joke, Australia was great but now a joke I'm disgusted we have to vote for them, every time there is a problem there outcome is LETS PUT A TAX ON IT. The first politition who will work for the money I get will be the one I vote for, not the self interest, feather nesting lying, to faced idiots that try to run our country. If only people understand we are Australia not the politicians, to think part of my tax pays them, what the he'll are we paying them for, can we all vote to not pay them, we are the ones that employ then, not the other way around, they should all be sacked, and bring back Australia for the people, let the people vote policy, and let the polatitions scrub the toilet to clean all the crap they put us in.

A better explanation to my previous rant.

Australia: A Nation Caught in the Web of Politics and Wealth

When the elusive windfall finally graces our pockets, housing—the ever-watchful specter—will demand its share. And what of the rest? It slips through our fingers, a fleeting mirage, only to find refuge in the deep pockets of the wealthy. It’s as if this grand economic dance was choreographed for their benefit alone.

The 2024–25 Federal Budget, unveiled with much fanfare, left me incredulous. Amidst the cacophony of numbers and promises, I wondered: Is this truly for the people? Or is it a jest, a cruel punchline to a cosmic joke?

The Power Rebate Paradox: People earning millions, ensconced in their ivory towers, now receive a power rebate. A pittance, perhaps, but a slap in the face for those who toil in the trenches. Albosleezy—the maestro of easy decisions—waved his wand, and behold! All shall partake. But was it really that simple? Did he wrestle with the weight of his choices, or did he merely shuffle papers in air-conditioned chambers?

Sold Out and Industry-Less: Our politicians—once stewards of our dreams—now resemble merchants hawking a depleted stock. They sold out the country, piece by piece, until we stood on barren ground. Industries, once the lifeblood of our prosperity, lie in ruins. The massive debt looms like a storm cloud, and their solution? Tax us—the lowly earners, the backbone of this nation. Their playbook: flip-flop, hope, and feather their nests.

The Government’s Farce: The government, once a beacon of hope, now parades as a circus act. Australia, once great, now wears the mask of a jest. We—the disillusioned voters—must choose among self-interest, feather-nesting lies, and two-faced idiocy. They claim to run our country, but we are Australia—the collective heartbeat of resilience and aspiration.

The Taxation Tango: Every problem, it seems, births a tax. A tax on our dreams, our struggles, our very existence. Perhaps the first politician who labors for the money I earn will earn my vote. Not the silver-tongued charlatans, but the one who scrubs toilets—literally or metaphorically—to cleanse the mess they’ve wrought.

A Call to Reclaim Australia: Let us reclaim our nation. Let the people—not the politicians—shape policy. Imagine them, sleeves rolled up, scrubbing away the grime of bureaucracy. We—the employers—should wield the broom, sweeping away the detritus of broken promises and hollow leadership.

Australia, rise from the ashes. Let the people’s voice echo through the corridors of power. For we are more than taxpayers; we are the architects of our destiny. 🇦🇺

Reactions: Ingot
well the govt is certainly rewarding the unemployed for doing nothing
The unemployed, the genuine ones need to be rewarded for doing nothing where as the permanent unemployed DO NOT
THE GOVT ARE SAYING THEY CONDONE PEOPLE DOING NOTHING SO WE ARE GIVING YOU MONEY TO STAY AT HOME AND NOT WORK
WHY IS IT ONLY THE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE PARENTS ARE LOOKED AFTER
WHEN IS THE ELDERLY, CARERS AND THE DISABLED GETTING A DECENT PAY RISE
AFTER ALL WE ARE ACTUALLY BEING DEMEANERED FOR WORKING ALL OUR LIVES AND NOW LEFT TO DIE
IF the govt can afford to give workers $1500 in tax cuts and reward the unemployed an extra over $100 per fortnight then surely the govt can afford to give pensioners and the carers and the retired exactly the same pay increases AND LETS NOT FORGET THAT POLITICIANS ARE GETTING A FURTHER $4000 DOLLARS IN TAX CUTS
The $300 energy rebate is just a back door to handing $2.8 bil of public money to power companies. I agree with many who say that the wealthy do not need the $300 rebate.

The $3 bil to wipe HECS debt, will only encourage lazy people to enrol in more courses that do not have an income at the completion. Arts etc. Engineering and medicine are always in demand, but of course you need actual brains to complete those.

The lead-up publicity led us to think there might actually be something positive to come in last night's budget. But you might not have seen it this way, but last night was the last opportunity to get any sort of a PENSION or WELFARE increase.

Yes in September we will receive a tad over $8/fortnight rent assistance increase (10% actually) - variable for us all - but by September, we will have been living with inflation for a further 6 months, and even if inflation abates, we will not get any compensation for the 9 months between December 2023 and September 2024.

We continue to fall behind.

The government knows this, but while we just sit back and lick at the crumbs tossed at us without complaining, nothing will change.

Here's what I propose:

Go to:-

Find your local member, and ALL senators, and contact them.
Let them know that you need to receive catch-up pension/welfare increases, since the last CPI increases did not allow for rent, or the costs not covered by CPI estimations.

(Living a happy life in retirement should not be spent chasing a budget, framed around the fortnightly pittance we receive.)

Hand-written letters carry about 8 times more weight than an email.
Phone calls a bit more weight, and are the most effective way to influence your local rep.

If you are good on the phone, write down 3 things you want to let your local member know, before you phone their office. Helps to carry the messages with clarity.

Phoning a Local electoral office is better than the Parliamentary office.
Why?
Because staff take the calls, and they are trained to extract your points, then collate them for the MP or Senator, for later summary and perusal.

Introduce yourself politely, and let them know the reason for the call, in a few words.

They are good listeners, despite their willingness to engage you in conversation.
Don't be side-tracked - stick to your points.
These people are not your friends, so don't think a friendly conversation means you have succeeded.

Keep it short and to the point.

Then go on to your next call.

You''ll find that with each call you make, you will get more efficient, and will actually be pleased with yourself.

Congratulations - you are now an activist! :D

Does getting a rise in your allowances in September mean a lot to you?
It does to me, so I will be making my calls.
I know that in so doing, I will be helping everyone here, as well as myself.

We all deserve this, and we can do it.
Don't let the govt get away with giving us nothing.
Even ONE phone call each, multiplied by a couple of hundred people on this site, will translate into a lot of political influence.

Good luck - please make the effort.

PS: You can find your electorate here, by going to the site, scroll down, and enter your post code.

Last edited:
Reactions: mylittletibbies