Welfare boost on the horizon: Treasurer hints at significant increase ahead of federal budget

As the Australian government prepares to unveil its federal budget next week, Treasurer Jim Chalmers has hinted at a much-anticipated welfare boost for recipients across the nation.

This move is a response to the recommendations made by the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee (EIAC), a body that has been instrumental in advising on measures to enhance economic inclusion and support for society's most vulnerable.

The EIAC made 22 recommendations, one of which is to significantly increase the rate of JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension.

This would result in a substantial rise for single people on JobSeeker, from the current $762.70 per fortnight to a proposed $1004.67.

This equates to an additional $121 per week or about $17 per day, which could make a real difference in the lives of many Australians struggling to make ends meet.

compressed-shutterstock_1992002486.jpeg
Welfare recipients could receive higher support payments following EIAC recommendations in the federal budget. Credits: Shutterstock

Treasurer Chalmers, while not committing to any specific recommendations just yet, has acknowledged the importance of the EIAC's work and the need for the government to take careful steps in implementing these changes.

‘There will be additional steps in this budget which are conscious of the recommendations that that important, well-regarded, well-informed committee, has put to us,’ Treasurer Chalmers stated.

‘We take it seriously. We can't afford to do every recommendation put to us by that committee.’

‘In some cases, announcing future directions is warranted. In others, we need to be a bit more careful because we need to be cognisant of the budget situation and what we can afford.’

‘We don't want to over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to our most vulnerable people,’ he added.

The EIAC suggested that the government implement the JobSeeker increase in stages rather than all at once.

They also urged the government to commit to a specific timeframe for these changes, to provide clarity and assurance to those who rely on these payments.

As of March last year, 740,800 Australians were receiving JobSeeker payments, highlighting the significant impact any changes to the welfare system could have.

Other recommendations from the EIAC include increasing rent assistance payments, investing in social and affordable housing for Indigenous communities, and overhauling the employment services system to better serve job seekers.

In a positive turn for the nation's finances, Chalmers also announced that net debt is projected to be $152 billion lower than what was forecast by the previous Coalition government.

According to him, this reduction in debt could save Australia $80 billion in interest payments over the next decade, potentially freeing up funds for critical investments in social welfare and infrastructure.

The federal budget—set to be handed down next Tuesday, May 14—is shaping up to be a pivotal moment for the government's economic strategy and its commitment to supporting the most vulnerable members of our community.

As the federal budget for 2024 comes under scrutiny with discussions on welfare enhancements and economic inclusion, it's vital to consider how these proposed changes could impact various demographics, including seniors.

With potential boosts in pension payments on the horizon, millions of retirees eagerly await news of any adjustments that could positively affect their financial well-being.
Key Takeaways
  • Welfare recipients may see an increase in support payments as per recommendations set to be included in the federal budget.
  • The Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee recommended a rise in JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension rate.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers stated the need for careful consideration of the budget when adopting the committee's recommendations.
  • The federal budget, which could include changes to rent assistance and employment services, will be announced next Tuesday, May 14.
How do you feel about the proposed changes? What impact would an increase in JobSeeker payments have on your life? Join the conversation and let’s discuss in the comments below.

Sponsored
So when would you like them to look for work? When would you like them to go for all the interviews? You have taken the stance that all they do is sit around and do nothing all day ... from working in welfare for a few decades I can tell you it is the VAST MINORITY of Jobseeker recipients who try and rort the system and to say otherwise is an unmitigated lie. The majority are people who are trying hard to get work to contribute to society. Oh and one of the largest demographics of people on Jobseeker are the over-60's and most of you assume they are all young people that you can just ridicule.
I totally agree. I'm 61 and have nursed all my life and now with multiple physical conditions from this career l'm finding it hard to even get a job in a supermarket. As soon as I have to declare if I've got any injuries or any sort of conditions that's it no job for me. I am actually beginning to be ashamed of my age not because I'm getting older but because when I see the comments here from my generation. They just can't seem to cope with the fact that somebody else may get something , heaven forbid it's not them. The What About Me generation. Judgemental, critical , ill-informed and nasty. No wonder the word baby is used before boomers.

Reactions: Ingot and LeahI
Julia Gillard made the remark whilst Prime Minister, Those over 65 yrs should just hurry up and die, they would no longer be a burden on society. Mind you says that woman who sits on a very nice Parliamentry Pension for life.

The Age Pension was meant to be 75% of the basic male wage, this was at a time when only men went out to work. Way past time this needs to be revisited to be 75% of the average Australian wage, I believe this would increase the Age Pension to a more liveable amount.
Yes it certainly would be a more appropriate amount.

I am on Jobseeker and being 62 I'm too young for pension and so it seems too old to employ.
To those whinging that the pension has you living below the poverty line, then think about those on jobseeker as it is far less. This increase will still only give us 90% of the pension.
You know not all on jobseeker are lifelong, drug addled dole bludgers. I worked from age 15 to 60 and paid my taxes too.

Reactions: Ellev
So when would you like them to look for work? When would you like them to go for all the interviews? You have taken the stance that all they do is sit around and do nothing all day ... from working in welfare for a few decades I can tell you it is the VAST MINORITY of Jobseeker recipients who try and rort the system and to say otherwise is an unmitigated lie. The majority are people who are trying hard to get work to contribute to society. Oh and one of the largest demographics of people on Jobseeker are the over-60's and most of you assume they are all young people that you can just ridicule.
My daughter's carer, who I was talking about previously, actually did two days a week at an op shop and still had time to apply for jobs.
I'm afraid you're wrong though about some of the young ones. My niece works for Centrelink and she told me the ones you see doing volunteer work are the ones who are looking for work, but the ones who aren't don't do any volunteer work because Centrelink have basically given up on even trying with them(and she said you'd be surprised just how many there are)they don't turn up for volunteer work and when they do get a job they stuff up so they get sacked and go back on
the dole. This doesn't apply only to the young, she says mainly 20 to 40 years old .

When my brother was diagnosed with a chronic back condition which prevented him from doing any physical activity, he was not given any assistance from the government. He was nearly 65 and had been a labourer all his life. Younger and stronger people, on the other hand, were able to get JobStart payments, and this is something that needs to be fixed. Perhaps a system that looks at increasing payments for older people who have a family to support would be a start. You cannot put a young person living with his parents on the same income as a family man supporting numerous dependents.

I agree that jobseekers need the extra money, not all of them don’t want to work. My sister is 60, worked until a few years ago she was badly injured at work, due to negligence from her employer. She was paid compensation for a couple of months, then that stopped. Tried for a compensation payout but was told she is not incapacitated enough, never mind she has trouble mobilising most days and often falls due to her hip giving way, only since her injury. So she is on jobseeker, can’t get the disability pension as she is not considered disabled enough, but her son who lives with her was given a carers payment as he needs to help her with everything except personal care. Her son is nineteen and a half and lives with her but he can only get youth allowance, he is blind in one eye and limited sight in the other, but he is not able to get the disability pension either. This rise in jobseeker may mean I no longer have to give my sister money every fortnight so they can eat as after they pay rent for the shed they live in, fuel for the generator to run the fridge etc, they have no electricity to rely on, fuel for their cars to go shopping and to drive to get fuel a few times a fortnight they have little left for anything else. They live in the country, the nearest main town is forty minutes drive away, the nearest garage is twenty minutes drive and there is a small town that is very expensive to shop in thirty minutes drive away. They are applying for rentals every week but can’t get one. They have several community housing groups trying to help them get a rental but even that hasn’t helped. I just hope if this rise is granted it takes effect straight away, but my bet is it probably won’t happen before 2025.

SIAMMEEZER DID NOT LIKE MY RANT
WHY IS THAT SO
ARE U ONE OF THE PRIVALIGED UNEMPLOYED GETTING POCKET MONEY TO KEEP A HABIT GOING OR WHAT

😮rude👎Prick
He did sound a litle Trotsky-like, didn't he!
I wonder what bites people when they have that kind of mentality.
Yhe LNP just called ... your membership dues are late.
You know nothing about my politics.
If you bothered to read a little, you might discover that I, and many others here are equally as critical of ALL politicians.

But if I touched a leftist nerve here somewhere, great.
Australia is NOT left or right as some narrow-minded dills like to define it.

You demean yourself with such prattle.
But you seem keen to define your own leanings by belittling the opinions of others.
Jog on, Champ!

Edit: Have put the rude person on "Ignore."
I don't have to put up with unqualified insults, and nor does anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Littleboy8
I think dole bludging criminal teens should be the responsibility of their parents not tax payers. Including when the the little bastards end up in jail. It night make prents teach the little punks some manners, respect and many other life lessons overlooked these days.

Increase in pension payments are always "on the horizon" but we never seem to reach that point. I guess he's hoping that most of us will die so he wont have to find the money to increase pensions.

I think dole bludging criminal teens should be the responsibility of their parents not tax payers. Including when the the little bastards end up in jail. It night make prents teach the little punks some manners, respect and many other life lessons overlooked these days.
Hear! Hear!

While I feel sorry for those who really want a job and cannot get one, I am fed up with the constant whining of those on Jobseeker allowance who complain that they have to apply for so many jobs a week. I especially am annoyed by those who apply for jobs that they know they are not qualified to get just to cover their requirements. Those applications should not be counted as part of the requirements. I am concerned that by raising the level of payment to 90% of the age pension there will be NO desire for these people to actually accept any job. As it is, a large number won’t apply/take a job that they consider is beneath them. Many of such people have not done any training in any field and so few jobs that pay well are open to them. We have multigenerational unemployment now, where because grand parents got by not working, but getting all the Centrelink payments available, their children did the same and now their grandchildren have the same attitude. Once upon a time holding a job, of any sort, was part of a strong mental attitude . That no longer exists. So many jobs are just shufling paper and are not producing any real product. This is the problem with the loss of manufacturing industries in this country. Until we go back to some of the old attitudes and practices and actually drop the level of payment to Jobseekers we will not get these jobless really looking for a job. Any job!

Yes, there human being who need support by us. What every circumstance they have, I am sure they do not want to receive jobseeker, they will prefer to earn there money by getting the job.
I’m afraid I have to disagree with you. For years now groups of four or five young people have managed to rent a place and pool their money so they can pay bills and eat and spend their days surfing or on the internet. They definitely do not want to work. They might have seen their parents doing this or been told by them of the good old days when they didn’t have to work. Now it’s worse as many consider certain jobs beneath them and won’t take such jobs. Use every opportunity to make them work.

My 18 y.o. non working lazy little bugger of a grandson will be jumping with joy at the likelihood of this extra money for doing nothing. He lives at home & lives very cheaply (much to my daughter's disgust but his father's support).

Get these people working in the Community, picking up rubbish, cleaning up illegal rubbish dumplings or anything else, whatever, but make them work for what they get!!!
Been saying that for years, trouble is, successive gutless and clueless governments

Reactions: Ingot and Ezzy