Welfare boost on the horizon: Treasurer hints at significant increase ahead of federal budget

As the Australian government prepares to unveil its federal budget next week, Treasurer Jim Chalmers has hinted at a much-anticipated welfare boost for recipients across the nation.

This move is a response to the recommendations made by the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee (EIAC), a body that has been instrumental in advising on measures to enhance economic inclusion and support for society's most vulnerable.

The EIAC made 22 recommendations, one of which is to significantly increase the rate of JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension.

This would result in a substantial rise for single people on JobSeeker, from the current $762.70 per fortnight to a proposed $1004.67.

This equates to an additional $121 per week or about $17 per day, which could make a real difference in the lives of many Australians struggling to make ends meet.

compressed-shutterstock_1992002486.jpeg
Welfare recipients could receive higher support payments following EIAC recommendations in the federal budget. Credits: Shutterstock

Treasurer Chalmers, while not committing to any specific recommendations just yet, has acknowledged the importance of the EIAC's work and the need for the government to take careful steps in implementing these changes.

‘There will be additional steps in this budget which are conscious of the recommendations that that important, well-regarded, well-informed committee, has put to us,’ Treasurer Chalmers stated.

‘We take it seriously. We can't afford to do every recommendation put to us by that committee.’

‘In some cases, announcing future directions is warranted. In others, we need to be a bit more careful because we need to be cognisant of the budget situation and what we can afford.’

‘We don't want to over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to our most vulnerable people,’ he added.

The EIAC suggested that the government implement the JobSeeker increase in stages rather than all at once.

They also urged the government to commit to a specific timeframe for these changes, to provide clarity and assurance to those who rely on these payments.

As of March last year, 740,800 Australians were receiving JobSeeker payments, highlighting the significant impact any changes to the welfare system could have.

Other recommendations from the EIAC include increasing rent assistance payments, investing in social and affordable housing for Indigenous communities, and overhauling the employment services system to better serve job seekers.

In a positive turn for the nation's finances, Chalmers also announced that net debt is projected to be $152 billion lower than what was forecast by the previous Coalition government.

According to him, this reduction in debt could save Australia $80 billion in interest payments over the next decade, potentially freeing up funds for critical investments in social welfare and infrastructure.

The federal budget—set to be handed down next Tuesday, May 14—is shaping up to be a pivotal moment for the government's economic strategy and its commitment to supporting the most vulnerable members of our community.

As the federal budget for 2024 comes under scrutiny with discussions on welfare enhancements and economic inclusion, it's vital to consider how these proposed changes could impact various demographics, including seniors.

With potential boosts in pension payments on the horizon, millions of retirees eagerly await news of any adjustments that could positively affect their financial well-being.
Key Takeaways
  • Welfare recipients may see an increase in support payments as per recommendations set to be included in the federal budget.
  • The Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee recommended a rise in JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension rate.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers stated the need for careful consideration of the budget when adopting the committee's recommendations.
  • The federal budget, which could include changes to rent assistance and employment services, will be announced next Tuesday, May 14.
How do you feel about the proposed changes? What impact would an increase in JobSeeker payments have on your life? Join the conversation and let’s discuss in the comments below.

Sponsored
I can't remember back to the 70's if you were means tested or not ? but to get the age pension you have to jump through hoops ; I think this will make more on Newstart stop looking for work if they get $1004 per 2 weeks and no hours to put in for this

Julia Gillard made the remark whilst Prime Minister, Those over 65 yrs should just hurry up and die, they would no longer be a burden on society. Mind you says that woman who sits on a very nice Parliamentry Pension for life.

The Age Pension was meant to be 75% of the basic male wage, this was at a time when only men went out to work. Way past time this needs to be revisited to be 75% of the average Australian wage, I believe this would increase the Age Pension to a more liveable amount.
The Parliamentary Pensions are a joke I know a member was sweating needed one more term to get the pension a Labour one and useless actually destroyed jobs and another famously got elected due to a sporting profile just for the pension quit as soon as qualified hope “The Person” reads it the lefty media loves him.

There might be a reason that person might have worked a lot harder than you so do not start throwing stones that argument eventually fails look at why that person is upset. Look at nursing homes you can be the biggest money saver and yet someone that has wasted their money gets the same damn nursing room for nothing and the very person you comment about has to sell everything and pay more.
I have worked very hard thank you very much and also do not receive a full pension.
Maybe I would be even better off if I didn't have a useless ex who despite the fact that he never worked, he got 50% of everything, leaving me to start again.
I worked bloody hard and paid another mortgage off by my mid 40s, educated both my boys without one cent from my ex.
You can have a very good amount of money in the bank before you loose anything off your pension, so if you loose $82 you're not doing too bad.
You have no idea how hard I've worked, probably a damn lot harder than you.

Last edited:
if I was unemployed ...with this amount (Which is equal to the old aged pension) I would not bother with a job I would just live like a pensioner as many now do...there IS work available (thats why. the govt is importing migrants,500,000 at a time to fill the vacancies)....common sense, the more you pay people NOT to work ,the more will get on the dole...and why not?

A GREAT WAY TO SOLVE NOT HAVING ENOUGH MONEY ON JOBSEEKER GET A JOB Why don't you just tell them is all ok you can bludge for the rest of your time and then when they go on the AGE PENSION TAKE A MASSIVE DROP IN PAYMENTS. Kick in the teeth for people who have worked their whole life to get overtaken in UNEMPLOYMENT PAYMENTS. You can really tell ALBO was bought up by a single parent who DID NOT GO OUT AND GET A JOB.
actually for them to get the aged pension, would mean a drop in income for them...they would probably struggle. poor things, but remember , they can vote, and guess which way they will.

2-1-24=$1096.70. Peak on 26-3-24=$1100.90. 7-5-24=$1027.20. My O.A.Pen has DROPPED $73.70 a FNight in 4 Mths & they want to give F***IN BLUDGERS =to 90% of that. OOOHHH NOOO!!! YA KIDDIN ME!!! OMG& F.M.D.
Your pension only drops if you have an increase in your income or assets and for it to drop that much you must have increased one or the other by a large amount!

How about training the jobseekers to work for Centrelink! seeing their excuse for long delays on the phone that is if you manage to get through, most times I get told too many calls waiting call back tomorrow. Then when you go to Centrelink you’re told to make an appointment and you have wait a couple of weeks due to understaffing.
Excellent idea, but so many of the young ones have dropped out of school,little education, no will to work.
But certainly a good idea for those who are able.
If it wasn't for my caring duties I would apply myself.

Oh what a bummer.
People forget that not everybody on jobseeker is a dole bludger.
My daughter's part time carer was on jobseeker
She lives in the country and applied over and over for jobs, even if she had to travel considerable distances but nobody wants to give over 60s a job.
At least now she can survive with the additional money she receives for the wonderful care she gives to my daughter.
I agree with you 100%. There are so many bitter, twisted and nasty people here who automatically believe the rhetoric about people on Jobseeker being "dole bludgers", and they seem to forget when you point a finger at someone there are three fingers pointing back at you! They have no empathy and just like to run others down ... thank heavens for people like you who can see both sides of a situation.

Oh what a bummer.
People forget that not everybody on jobseeker is a dole bludger.
My daughter's part time carer was on jobseeker
She lives in the country and applied over and over for jobs, even if she had to travel considerable distances but nobody wants to give over 60s a job.
At least now she can survive with the additional money she receives for the wonderful care she gives to my daughter.
Have NEVER said All on Jobseeker are Bludgers BUT there are a LOT who are.

There might be a reason that person might have worked a lot harder than you so do not start throwing stones that argument eventually fails look at why that person is upset. Look at nursing homes you can be the biggest money saver and yet someone that has wasted their money gets the same damn nursing room for nothing and the very person you comment about has to sell everything and pay more.
Why is he upset, he should be grateful to be in this position whether he worked hard for it, inherited it or whatever
Some people work hard all their lives but due to circumstances do not end up so well off. Everybody's life is different.
Their family eventually gets that money back.
That will more than likely happen to me. If I can afford to pay why shouldn't I. It just means my kids wait longer for their inheritance. They are already we'll set up and I have already made sure my disabled daughter will be well taken care of,both physically and financially.

I actually think EVERYONE on Jobseeker should HAVE to Volunteer so they are at least doing something to collect their payment. Of cause if you are a carer or equivalent no. But Volunteers are needed everywhere so put them to work. If they do not turn up or are told to not return more than once their payment should be cut in HALF the incentive to not be an a hole.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
I actually think EVERYONE on Jobseeker should HAVE to Volunteer so they are at least doing something to collect their payment. Of cause if you are a carer or equivalent no. But Volunteers are needed everywhere so put them to work. If they do not turn up or are told to not return more than once their payment should be cut in HALF the incentive to not be an a hole.
So when would you like them to look for work? When would you like them to go for all the interviews? You have taken the stance that all they do is sit around and do nothing all day ... from working in welfare for a few decades I can tell you it is the VAST MINORITY of Jobseeker recipients who try and rort the system and to say otherwise is an unmitigated lie. The majority are people who are trying hard to get work to contribute to society. Oh and one of the largest demographics of people on Jobseeker are the over-60's and most of you assume they are all young people that you can just ridicule.

Reactions: Ellev
So when would you like them to look for work? When would you like them to go for all the interviews? You have taken the stance that all they do is sit around and do nothing all day ... from working in welfare for a few decades I can tell you it is the VAST MINORITY of Jobseeker recipients who try and rort the system and to say otherwise is an unmitigated lie. The majority are people who are trying hard to get work to contribute to society. Oh and one of the largest demographics of people on Jobseeker are the over-60's and most of you assume they are all young people that you can just ridicule.
Oh really what a dumb comment I should think if on the off chance that people had interviews they would tell the people and all would be good. The over 60's Volunteer anyway.