Are you ready for a bigger pension? Here's how millions are getting their boost

Heads up, members: there's a financial uplift on the way for millions of Australians who rely on social security payments.

A welcome increase will be reflected in the pockets of age pensioners, disability support recipients, and carers, thanks to the latest round of indexation.

This is a routine adjustment, but it's one that can make a significant difference in the day-to-day lives of many.

Starting tomorrow, March 20, single recipients of the age pension, disability support pension, and carer payments will see their fortnightly payments rise by $19.60. Couples will enjoy a combined increase of $29.40 per fortnight.

Counting the pension supplement and the energy supplement, the maximum rate for singles is $1,116.30 and for couples $1,682.80 every two weeks.

compressed-shutterstock_174966500.jpeg
Senior pensioner couples can get up to $841.40 weekly in line with tomorrow’s indexation. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Federal Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth highlighted the importance of this increase, acknowledging that 'Pension recipients are some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, many having worked all their lives contributing to our society or caring for a loved one.'

Commonwealth Rent Assistance, JobSeeker, Parenting Payment (Single), and ABSTUDY have also been indexed, ensuring that these payments keep pace with the cost of living.

JobSeeker and ABSTUDY recipients aged 22 and over will see their single, without child rate increase by $13.50 a fortnight, totaling $771.50 (including the energy supplement).

Couples on these payments will receive an additional $12.30 each per fortnight, with their new rate being $706.20, energy supplement included.

Single parents receiving the parenting payment will also benefit from an extra $17.50 every two weeks. This brings their total fortnightly payment to $1,006.50, inclusive of the pension supplement, pharmaceutical allowance, and energy supplement.

compressed-March 2024 Age Pension Indexation (1).jpeg
It's not just the payment rates that are on the rise; the income and assets limits for these payments will also see an increase as a result of the indexation.

This means that recipients can potentially earn more or have more in savings without affecting their eligibility for these crucial payments.

For those eager to see the complete list of changes, they can be found here, providing a detailed breakdown of how the indexation will be applied across the various payments.

If you're unsure about how the indexation affects you or if you have questions about your eligibility, don't hesitate to reach out to the Department of Social Services for more information.

Speaking of eligibility, did you know there’s another form of assistance you could be missing out on? Find out more about it here!
Key Takeaways

• Social security payments in Australia will see an increase due to indexation on March 20.
  • Age pensions, disability support pensions, and carer payments will rise, with singles receiving an additional $19.60 and couples getting $29.40 more per fortnight.
  • Other payments such as Commonwealth Rent Assistance, JobSeeker, Parenting Payment Single and ABSTUDY will also be indexed.
  • The federal Social Services Minister highlighted that the increase will benefit some of the most vulnerable members of the community.
We'd love to hear from you, members. What are your thoughts on this latest round of increases? Share them in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Well to begin with it would be good to at least be able to speak to someone at services Australia…you get through,give your details and then get told thanks for your call and just get disconnected….automatically!
Third day I have tried and the same thing over and over again, even at 8.30am!!! Regardless of time or day???
Something definitely wrong with the system….come on Hank??? Help me out here PLEASE???

$20 is hardly a huge raise not compared to what labor gave themselves on gaining power.. doesnt buy much to be honest with price rises
what do you mean Labour? Pollies have always lined their own pockets but I say thanks for small mercies. $20 is much better than the $2 per fortnight we used to get. Rudd was the one who gave us $40 and our rises went up a bit after that. That rise even allowed me to get a better car. Those greedy sods get pensions for all of their life, unlike us who leaves a job and get not a cent more.

When working I always heard about winging pensioners now I am one -Twenty dollars is a disgrace (MY health care went up the same amount The cost of living is again going up. To be a pensioner should not mean subsistence living When you see people getting 120 thousand for holding stop and go signs yet people cannot buy a steak or just basics there's something wrong with the governments priorates

Well to begin with it would be good to at least be able to speak to someone at services Australia…you get through,give your details and then get told thanks for your call and just get disconnected….automatically!
Third day I have tried and the same thing over and over again, even at 8.30am!!! Regardless of time or day???
Something definitely wrong with the system….come on Hank??? Help me out here PLEASE???
the only thing Hank Jongen does is grab his pay packet and even that probably goes straight into his bank.

what do you mean Labour? Pollies have always lined their own pockets but I say thanks for small mercies. $20 is much better than the $2 per fortnight we used to get. Rudd was the one who gave us $40 and our rises went up a bit after that. That rise even allowed me to get a better car. Those greedy sods get pensions for all of their life, unlike us who leaves a job and get not a cent more.
its a bloody joke

To be realistic $7.37 a week each, for a couple, it is nothing to enjoy. Taking in consideration the rent will go up due to this, so, 25% of those $7.37 goes to Community Housing rent (in our case) leaving us with just $5.53 each per week. And for us, it is from April, no from 20/3/24.
So, that boost in comparison with cost of living, it is almost a bad joke.
However, we are not ungreatful people, so, it is appreciated! Worse is nothing, like it used to be years before!

Reactions: Ingot and Gsr
I doubt very many will need to check their bank account, the extra money won’t go in til next payment, then it is so little most people probably won’t notice any difference. With any luck it might buy an extra loaf of bread so the people living below the poverty line might be able to afford to have bread and water For an extra couple of days a fortnight.