Welfare boost on the horizon: Treasurer hints at significant increase ahead of federal budget

As the Australian government prepares to unveil its federal budget next week, Treasurer Jim Chalmers has hinted at a much-anticipated welfare boost for recipients across the nation.

This move is a response to the recommendations made by the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee (EIAC), a body that has been instrumental in advising on measures to enhance economic inclusion and support for society's most vulnerable.

The EIAC made 22 recommendations, one of which is to significantly increase the rate of JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension.

This would result in a substantial rise for single people on JobSeeker, from the current $762.70 per fortnight to a proposed $1004.67.

This equates to an additional $121 per week or about $17 per day, which could make a real difference in the lives of many Australians struggling to make ends meet.

compressed-shutterstock_1992002486.jpeg
Welfare recipients could receive higher support payments following EIAC recommendations in the federal budget. Credits: Shutterstock

Treasurer Chalmers, while not committing to any specific recommendations just yet, has acknowledged the importance of the EIAC's work and the need for the government to take careful steps in implementing these changes.

‘There will be additional steps in this budget which are conscious of the recommendations that that important, well-regarded, well-informed committee, has put to us,’ Treasurer Chalmers stated.

‘We take it seriously. We can't afford to do every recommendation put to us by that committee.’

‘In some cases, announcing future directions is warranted. In others, we need to be a bit more careful because we need to be cognisant of the budget situation and what we can afford.’

‘We don't want to over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to our most vulnerable people,’ he added.

The EIAC suggested that the government implement the JobSeeker increase in stages rather than all at once.

They also urged the government to commit to a specific timeframe for these changes, to provide clarity and assurance to those who rely on these payments.

As of March last year, 740,800 Australians were receiving JobSeeker payments, highlighting the significant impact any changes to the welfare system could have.

Other recommendations from the EIAC include increasing rent assistance payments, investing in social and affordable housing for Indigenous communities, and overhauling the employment services system to better serve job seekers.

In a positive turn for the nation's finances, Chalmers also announced that net debt is projected to be $152 billion lower than what was forecast by the previous Coalition government.

According to him, this reduction in debt could save Australia $80 billion in interest payments over the next decade, potentially freeing up funds for critical investments in social welfare and infrastructure.

The federal budget—set to be handed down next Tuesday, May 14—is shaping up to be a pivotal moment for the government's economic strategy and its commitment to supporting the most vulnerable members of our community.

As the federal budget for 2024 comes under scrutiny with discussions on welfare enhancements and economic inclusion, it's vital to consider how these proposed changes could impact various demographics, including seniors.

With potential boosts in pension payments on the horizon, millions of retirees eagerly await news of any adjustments that could positively affect their financial well-being.
Key Takeaways
  • Welfare recipients may see an increase in support payments as per recommendations set to be included in the federal budget.
  • The Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee recommended a rise in JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension rate.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers stated the need for careful consideration of the budget when adopting the committee's recommendations.
  • The federal budget, which could include changes to rent assistance and employment services, will be announced next Tuesday, May 14.
How do you feel about the proposed changes? What impact would an increase in JobSeeker payments have on your life? Join the conversation and let’s discuss in the comments below.

Sponsored
There are some seniors who do still work or who don’t qualify for the age pension yet x
I’ve just turned 70 and still work. By the sound of it I would have been better off if I could have gone on jobseeker and not worked rather than working and being on the aged pension.

Reactions: Jen77au
Some do!!! so when you've worked a hard physical job all your life and the body has worn out, your 65 unemployable and you have to go on jobseeker for 2 years before you are eligible for a pension
Yep that’s so true 👍

I had to sell mine cos I couldn’t afford over $2000.00 a year just in rego and insurance and extras I loved that car 🚘 😢
It's a sad state of affairs.
I'm not having a bar of EV's either.
If the battery goes bung, straight awat $15k replacement min.
20% loading on Insurance - they are expensive to repair/replace.
And the batteries have bad habits of catching fire.

This year I investigated TPP (indemnity-only) Insurance.
They want about as much for that as Comprehensive - so might as well keep the full cover going.

I only ever went on the dole in the late sixties, I admit that I was luckily enough to still be living at home, but I digress the dole in those was designed to pay ou a small stipend while you looked for work. there was plenty of work available, Actually most of the buildings erected in the sixties in Melbourne, I worked on in some capacity or another. But I digress The dole wasn't meant to be a lifetime choice as it seems to be now. Political parties seem hell bent on churning out a collective hand out a dependence on welfare, which ultimately will be to the extreme dependency on a idle life style. If ever exotic religions are looking for idols there are plenty of BONE BLOODY IDOL ones her to choose from.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
What about pensioners, carers and disabled pensioners, who can’t work. Overlooked 😌
Thank you! This is why I struggle to get by! A 47 single woman with no kids and just a mental health disability, I’m disregarded. There’s help for single parents, intellectual disabilities, DV victims, etc. I feel that I’m cast aside and lost in the system. All I’ve ever tried to do is better my situation but without proper support, it’s bloody hard.

It's a sad state of affairs.
I'm not having a bar of EV's either.
If the battery goes bung, straight awat $15k replacement min.
20% loading on Insurance - they are expensive to repair/replace.
And the batteries have bad habits of catching fire.

This year I investigated TPP (indemnity-only) Insurance.
They want about as much for that as Comprehensive - so might as well keep the full cover going.
Not to mention they barely last 5-10 years!

Reactions: Ingot
This is ludicrous.. that's 100's of $$ more for Job seekers.. and pensioners get a lousy $20-$30.. where's the fairness in that!!!! It will only encourage more people to stop looking for work 😡
It looks like unless you are on the dole (jobseekers???) or aboriginal yoy don't get a look in.

Jobseeker will never affect me …. I am a 71 year old Invalid Pensioner and as such I will never work again. The Government does not care about the elderly, we are just a number to them and it is getting worse. A one hundred dollar increase in the Pension would be most welcome and would go at least towards putting some healthy food on the table. We have many more needs than we had when we were younger and there are many of us who do not have superannuation. Wake up Australia and stop this idiocy.

It's really past time the Government upped the Age Pension and brought it in line with the basic wage, trying to live, eat and pay bills on the current rate is unbelievably hard. Maybe all the Pensioners should go into politics so we can then retire AGAIN on a much higher Pension like all the retired Politicians are doing, set up for life!

Let’s hope the rent assistance goes up more than the $3.20 a fortnight they gave last time. Especially when rents are going up $65 a week or more.
The unemployment especially for seniors should be the same as the pension that or lower the pension age as 67 is ridiculous.
There is no way most of us over 60 and unemployed will ever get another job.

Julia Gillard made the remark whilst Prime Minister, Those over 65 yrs should just hurry up and die, they would no longer be a burden on society. Mind you says that woman who sits on a very nice Parliamentry Pension for life.

The Age Pension was meant to be 75% of the basic male wage, this was at a time when only men went out to work. Way past time this needs to be revisited to be 75% of the average Australian wage, I believe this would increase the Age Pension to a more liveable amount.
The Age Pension SHOULD be the MINIMUM Wage. that would be totaly fair.

Reactions: Littleboy8