Welfare boost on the horizon: Treasurer hints at significant increase ahead of federal budget

As the Australian government prepares to unveil its federal budget next week, Treasurer Jim Chalmers has hinted at a much-anticipated welfare boost for recipients across the nation.

This move is a response to the recommendations made by the Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee (EIAC), a body that has been instrumental in advising on measures to enhance economic inclusion and support for society's most vulnerable.

The EIAC made 22 recommendations, one of which is to significantly increase the rate of JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension.

This would result in a substantial rise for single people on JobSeeker, from the current $762.70 per fortnight to a proposed $1004.67.

This equates to an additional $121 per week or about $17 per day, which could make a real difference in the lives of many Australians struggling to make ends meet.

compressed-shutterstock_1992002486.jpeg
Welfare recipients could receive higher support payments following EIAC recommendations in the federal budget. Credits: Shutterstock

Treasurer Chalmers, while not committing to any specific recommendations just yet, has acknowledged the importance of the EIAC's work and the need for the government to take careful steps in implementing these changes.

‘There will be additional steps in this budget which are conscious of the recommendations that that important, well-regarded, well-informed committee, has put to us,’ Treasurer Chalmers stated.

‘We take it seriously. We can't afford to do every recommendation put to us by that committee.’

‘In some cases, announcing future directions is warranted. In others, we need to be a bit more careful because we need to be cognisant of the budget situation and what we can afford.’

‘We don't want to over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to our most vulnerable people,’ he added.

The EIAC suggested that the government implement the JobSeeker increase in stages rather than all at once.

They also urged the government to commit to a specific timeframe for these changes, to provide clarity and assurance to those who rely on these payments.

As of March last year, 740,800 Australians were receiving JobSeeker payments, highlighting the significant impact any changes to the welfare system could have.

Other recommendations from the EIAC include increasing rent assistance payments, investing in social and affordable housing for Indigenous communities, and overhauling the employment services system to better serve job seekers.

In a positive turn for the nation's finances, Chalmers also announced that net debt is projected to be $152 billion lower than what was forecast by the previous Coalition government.

According to him, this reduction in debt could save Australia $80 billion in interest payments over the next decade, potentially freeing up funds for critical investments in social welfare and infrastructure.

The federal budget—set to be handed down next Tuesday, May 14—is shaping up to be a pivotal moment for the government's economic strategy and its commitment to supporting the most vulnerable members of our community.

As the federal budget for 2024 comes under scrutiny with discussions on welfare enhancements and economic inclusion, it's vital to consider how these proposed changes could impact various demographics, including seniors.

With potential boosts in pension payments on the horizon, millions of retirees eagerly await news of any adjustments that could positively affect their financial well-being.
Key Takeaways
  • Welfare recipients may see an increase in support payments as per recommendations set to be included in the federal budget.
  • The Economic Inclusion Advisory Committee recommended a rise in JobSeeker payments to 90 per cent of the aged pension rate.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers stated the need for careful consideration of the budget when adopting the committee's recommendations.
  • The federal budget, which could include changes to rent assistance and employment services, will be announced next Tuesday, May 14.
How do you feel about the proposed changes? What impact would an increase in JobSeeker payments have on your life? Join the conversation and let’s discuss in the comments below.

Sponsored
How about giving the pensioners more money, as they have contributed by paying tax for all their working lives, instead of giving more to people on Jobseeker which will give them less enthusiasm to go out and look for a job !!!

What about an increase in the age pension. We have worked and payed our taxes and we are below the poverty line.
2-1-24=$1096.70. Peak on 26-3-24=$1100.90. 7-5-24=$1027.20. My O.A.Pen has DROPPED $73.70 a FNight in 4 Mths & they want to give F***IN BLUDGERS =to 90% of that. OOOHHH NOOO!!! YA KIDDIN ME!!! OMG& F.M.D.

Reactions: Jen77au
This Government said the same about Dis-Ability and Pensions 2 years ago nothing just all spin.
The budget will be for votes nothing else select groups. Why does your website not state the facts about how much energy costs have eroded welfare recipients payments. They are making the vulnerable suffer with Green Energy Policies. I just shake my head with disdain as to the Green Energy costs and future reductions in royalties to build welfare and infrastructure in this country.
Health Education will suffer.

Reactions: Jen77au and Ingot
Age Pensioners will not get another rise until third week in September 2024.

And I love this comment from the delusional Jim Chalmers:
" ...the recommendations that that important, well-regarded, well-informed committee ..."
Those "well informed, well-regarded, important committee members" wouldn't be the same people sitting on the Parliamentary Remuneration Tribunal, would they?
😂 😂

"‘We don't want to over-promise and under-deliver when it comes to our most vulnerable people,’ he added."
No fear of that mate.
You say you're "Treasurer" of the Labor Party ... right?

"Chalmers also announced that net debt is projected to be $152 billion lower than what was forecast by the previous Coalition government."

And why would that be Jim?
Could it be that you abolished the annual $1500 Tax Rebate?
How much in extra tax receipts will that mean? And extra $80 billion?
Odd eh?
:unsure: :rolleyes:
He's a funny man, Jim is.
Our 'most vulnerable people'.
That has got to set MP's rolling in the aisles.
Only Labor would say we are 'our most vulnerable people' and then sink the slipper into their guts."
Yhe LNP just called ... your membership dues are late.

Why would Jobseekers want to go to work with the increase in jobseekers which is being predicted. There are plenty of jobs out there, but why work when you can sit back and just have the money handed to you...pensioners who have worked all there lives and payed taxes are the ones missing out..

I’m 65 and I do I just missed out on the change over to the pension on july 1st my birthday would you believe. But shit happens no point griping it is what it is.😊
Oh what a bummer.
People forget that not everybody on jobseeker is a dole bludger.
My daughter's part time carer was on jobseeker
She lives in the country and applied over and over for jobs, even if she had to travel considerable distances but nobody wants to give over 60s a job.
At least now she can survive with the additional money she receives for the wonderful care she gives to my daughter.

They should not be increasing unemployment, they should be allowing them to get a 1 or 2 day a week job without penalty. They might discover they can enjoy working!!! The amount of places I hear complaining about Not being able to get any workers!! Especially young people, and when they do come, they expect to work only the hours the 'feel like'!!! It's a lazy generation... and too many 3rd and 4th family generation who have never worked, don't even know how to apply for a job!!

They should not be increasing unemployment, they should be allowing them to get a 1 or 2 day a week job without penalty. They might discover they can enjoy working!!! The amount of places I hear complaining about Not being able to get any workers!! Especially young people, and when they do come, they expect to work only the hours the 'feel like'!!! It's a lazy generation... and too many 3rd and 4th family generation who have never worked, don't even know how to apply for a job!!
They can get a part time job without being penalised.😊 It’s so many hours a week.

It’s just a disgrace. We now have 4.2% of the population which includes so called minority groups and detainees etc sucking up 65% of our pension payments of equivalent. God help this country if we go to war a Sergeant Major in the Army has to ask permission to poke you. Its a joke. This government just panders to the destructive Greens just look at the way they act in parliament. Labour use to be for industry that provided jobs for our young. Students are taught at University how not to respect our war hero’s that would have stopped the biggest genocide in Australian history against a minority group. It is a disgrace the road this cultural bias is going. Many University students now have to be like lecturers or your an outcast when I went to University our brilliant lecturers encouraged the opposite. If I were in power the first people to be sacked would be the Chancellors who allow this situation. I will never Vote Labour again. Energy what a joke went to my local member Labour showed her the price of a barrel of oil against the cross rate we should be paying $1.25 a litre she stood up and said nothing more interested in protecting idiots for votes In the middle of Sydney. America was a net exporter of oil they paid 72cents a litre now they import and pay what we do. You will not win a war with electric swords.

I am an age pensioner and still working at 83years old, have to let centrelink know how much Im earning per fortnight, I think I had better still keep on working, age pension is not much at all. No rise for us, only for the dole bluggers, ok some maybe looking for work but a lot aren't.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
If your pension is to decrease by that much then, obviously, you are a lot more financially better off than the average pensioner
I wish my pension was going to decrease by $82.
There might be a reason that person might have worked a lot harder than you so do not start throwing stones that argument eventually fails look at why that person is upset. Look at nursing homes you can be the biggest money saver and yet someone that has wasted their money gets the same damn nursing room for nothing and the very person you comment about has to sell everything and pay more.

Yhe LNP just called ... your membership dues are late.

I am an age pensioner and still working at 83years old, have to let centrelink know how much Im earning per fortnight, I think I had better still keep on working, age pension is not much at all. No rise for us, only for the dole bluggers, ok some maybe looking for work but a lot aren't.
What a trooper you are, still working at 83, you deserve a medal.
Government should hang their heads in shame that this is even necessary
🥇🥈🏅🏅🎖️

I am an age pensioner and still working at 83years old, have to let centrelink know how much Im earning per fortnight, I think I had better still keep on working, age pension is not much at all. No rise for us, only for the dole bludgers, ok some maybe looking for work but a lot aren't.
I feel for you as the present government is using every tactic. Immigration what a joke we should be bringing in skilled young people and what do we do we allow people who cannot speak our language and resent the Australian way of life from the very countries that just do not respect women. A mate a chemist says one particular race seems to have health cards and yet there running around in 200k cars. Go check out who owns houses on Noosa River.

I feel for you as the present government is using every tactic. Immigration what a joke we should be bringing in skilled young people and what do we do we allow people who cannot speak our language and resent the Australian way of life from the very countries that just do not respect women. A mate a chemist says one particular race seems to have health cards and yet there running around in 200k cars. Go check out who owns houses on Noosa River.
Why bring in young skilled workers that’s just daft, tell the young people here they have to work or volunteer so many hours to get the benefits.😊

So those on the Aged Pension get nothing while those on Job Seeker get an increase. Supposedly to bring it to 90% of the Aged Pension. Completely ignores that the Aged Pension hasn't kept up with cost of living pressures. So in reality job seekers won't really be better off.

How about training the jobseekers to work for Centrelink! seeing their excuse for long delays on the phone that is if you manage to get through, most times I get told too many calls waiting call back tomorrow. Then when you go to Centrelink you’re told to make an appointment and you have wait a couple of weeks due to understaffing.