Wash less, freeze more? Cleaning expert unveils the cold truth behind this jeans cleaning trick!

As people age, they often look for ways to simplify their lives and cut down on unnecessary chores. One such chore that might seem daunting is laundry, especially when it comes to items like jeans that are notorious for being tough to clean without damaging them.

A popular trick that's been circulating for years suggests that instead of washing your jeans, you can just pop them in the freezer to eliminate odours.

However, does this method really work, or could it be causing more harm than good to your beloved denim?

Karl Stefanovic, host of the Today Show, is among those who swear by this unconventional cleaning hack.

However, Chantel Mila Ibbotson, a cleaning expert and founder of Mama Mila Home, weighed in on the debate to shed some light on the truth behind this 'contentious' topic.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 112220.jpg
Chantel Mila Ibbotson discussed the ongoing discussion regarding the efficiency of the freezer jeans hack on the Today Show. Credits: Instagram / Chantel Mila Ibbotson

According to Mila Ibbotson, while freezing your jeans might seem like a nifty trick to keep them fresh between washes, the results may not be as long-lasting as you'd hope.

‘Jeans in the freezer is a bit of a contentious topic. Some people say it's a total myth, other people say it does work,’ she said.

‘In my experience, jeans in the freezer does work to remove odours, but it only works for one wear.’

When it comes to how often we should be washing our clothes, Mila Ibbotson offered some general guidelines that might surprise those of us who are accustomed to washing every item after a single use.

‘It depends on what the item is, and it also obviously depends on what climate you live in and your household structure and everything like that,’ she shared.

For example, according to Mila Ibbotson, tee shirts and tank tops could typically go two to three wears between washes, barring any food or makeup stains.

‘Some people do wash [them] every wear and again, everyone's a little bit different,’ she stated.

‘But when it comes to over washing clothes, you can stretch it to two to three wears.’

Suits, dress shirts, and dresses could also be worn multiple times before needing a wash, according to Mila Ibbotson.

However, when it comes to underwear and activewear, she recommended washing these items after every wear for hygiene reasons.

In today's world, where environmental concerns are increasingly important, Mila Ibbotson also suggested making some eco-friendly changes to our laundry habits.

‘There are ways that we can be more environmentally conscious when washing our clothes,’ she explained.

She encouraged switching to an eco-friendly laundry powder, which can be just as effective as traditional powders, and washing clothes on a cold cycle to reduce energy consumption.

Aside from the ones mentioned above, Mila Ibbotson also shared her method of removing tough oil stains from clothes using everyday house products.

Other experts also recommended different tips when washing clothes.

One suggested this unusual method of washing clothes to conserve water, while another recommended a specific cycle setting on your washing machine.
Key Takeaways

• Cleaning expert Chantel Mila Ibbotson addressed the debate over the effectiveness of the jeans-in-the-freezer hack on the Today Show.
  • Mila Ibbotson explained that putting jeans in the freezer can remove odours, but suggested it is only effective for one wear before needing to repeat the process.
  • She shared general guidelines for washing clothes, such as tee shirts and tanks every two to three wears, while underwear and activewear should be washed after every use.
  • Mila Ibbotson also recommended environmentally conscious laundry practices, such as using eco-friendly laundry powder and washing clothes in cold water to save energy.
Have you tried the jean-freezing trick, and if so, what was your experience? Do you have any other laundry tips or tricks that have served you well over the years? Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments below.

Sponsored
I just can’t wear something more than once without washing it. Everything I take off goes straight in the laundry basket, it doesn’t feel right returning things I’ve worn back to the wardrobe with the clean stuff - I just can’t do it

"She encouraged switching to an eco-friendly laundry powder, which can be just as effective as traditional powders" She's flogging her own laundry powder that she manufactures. No I won't be buying it.
I've used the dishwashing liquid and baking soda trick for many years to get out oil/food stains on clothes.

The day I put jeans in the freezer will be classed as earth shattering. That would be the same day that I actually buy a pair of jeans. Never owned them, however, if I did, they would not escape a wash.

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM
I wear shorts all year round at home or going out. Good shorts may be worn 3 times per week for an average of 4 hours each time. I remove them, turn inside out & hang on a coat hanger in the bathroom with the back out to air before next use & at the end of the week put out for laundering. They have always smelt O.K. (l do of course wear a clean pair of undies each time too, which possibly helps. 😉).

Reactions: maherdj
it doesn't surprise me that King Dickhead of Ch9 would do something like this. As for washing powder, the worst thing you can put in your machine is POWDER (confirmed by 2 different electricians). I only ever use cold water, cheap woolwash (same ingredients as expensive ones) and white vinegar. I don't even need to iron. I change everything every day and most of my stuff is in excess of 10 years old with not one wear mark on any of it inc. undies. Most of my things have come from either 2nd hand shops of KMart.

Reactions: Colette 3799
When we were kids Mum always made us change our good clothes as soon as we got home & change back into our yard clothes & even at 76yrs old I still do it. That way you can wear them again.

Reactions: Ezzy and gamiry