Discover the unconventional clothing tricks that keep clothes fresh without water

Some people are willing to go to great lengths in the quest for sustainability.

One such individual is Cydney, a wildlife conservationist, who has adopted some unconventional methods to keep her clothes clean while conserving water.

Her unique approach to laundry has sparked a lively debate online, with some applauding her eco-friendly efforts and others expressing scepticism.

Cydney regularly shares her tips for slow fashion and clothes restoration on social media.

But among her more controversial advice is only washing her wool clothing once a year.

Yes, you read that right—once a year! But that's not all. She also puts her jeans in the freezer to clean them.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 105526.png
According to the social media post by Cydney, she only washes her clothes once a year. Source: @cydney214/TikTok

These unconventional methods, she claimed, not only save water but also keep her clothes fresh and odour-free.

In a video, Cydney hand-washed a wool jumper in her kitchen sink. The jumper, she claimed, has been worn '20 to 30 times’ throughout the winter before it sees the inside of a sink.

Cydney's method involved filling her kitchen sink with a capful of Stergene Gentle Care detergent and warm water.

She explained that wool is an 'amazing fibre' with qualities that allow her to wash her clothes infrequently. According to her, wool is naturally 'anti-fungal' and 'anti-microbial,' and its structure wicks sweat and heat away from the skin, preventing odours.

She also insisted that wool is stain-resistant and repels water, meaning it's less likely to accumulate dirt.

'I can honestly say it doesn't smell. The reason for me washing it is to try to block it as it is too narrow at the bottom,’ she added.

A 2022 study has reported that wool could potentially have antibacterial properties because it can reduce odour accumulation caused by skin microbiota activity.

While some viewers were intrigued by Cydney’s method, others were less convinced.

The comments varied from those who agreed with the statement, some who shared additional tips, to those who were sceptical and didn't believe it.

One viewer wrote, 'I hardly ever wash my wool socks. I just air them and alternate between pairs. No smells and no blisters!'

Another added, 'This is exactly what I say to everyone (plus) you can wear under layer with cotton/linen, which can be washed more often if you sweat more.'

On the other hand, one sceptical viewer wrote, 'I wash my clothes after I wear them,' while another quipped, 'I can't even imagine the smell.'

You can watch her video here:

Source: @cydney214/TikTok​

Cydney's unconventional approach to laundry reflects a growing trend towards sustainable living. While some may find her methods extreme, they demonstrate the lengths people are willing to go for sustainability.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman named Cydney advocates washing wool clothing only once a year to save water and be more eco-friendly.
  • She shared her clothing care techniques on social media, including putting jeans in the freezer to clean them without water.
  • Cydney demonstrated hand washing a wool jumper, claiming wool's properties allow less frequent washing without causing odour.
  • There are mixed reactions in the comments, with some supporting her methods and others expressing scepticism about infrequent washing.

What do you think, members? Would you consider washing your clothes less frequently to save water? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I live just outside of Brisbane, could you imagine what our clothes would smell like if we didn't wash them for a whole year? They would be standing on their own and we wouldn't be able to get anywhere near them. Over the last 2 months everything has to be hand wrung out before you can put them in the laundry basket because of the humidity

Reactions: Penny4
Growing up in the 1960s this was the norm. Obviously some common sense is needed, and some clothes were washed after one wear (especially in Summer) but things like our woollen box-pleat school tunics went to the dry cleaner's once a year, likewise our jumpers and cardigans (unless grubby with visible soil) were handwashed at the end of winter.

Airing clothes on a hanger after only wearing them for a few hours does wonders, and if you have somewhere to do so outdoors overnight they will be fresh and clean smelling. Clothes also lasted much longer due to not being stressed as frequently by washing machines.

Reactions: Penny4
Growing up in the 1960s this was the norm. Obviously some common sense is needed, and some clothes were washed after one wear (especially in Summer) but things like our woollen box-pleat school tunics went to the dry cleaner's once a year, likewise our jumpers and cardigans (unless grubby with visible soil) were handwashed at the end of winter.

Airing clothes on a hanger after only wearing them for a few hours does wonders, and if you have somewhere to do so outdoors overnight they will be fresh and clean smelling. Clothes also lasted much longer due to not being stressed as frequently by washing machines.
I remember my mother using a wringer washing machine, then when I got married I used a twin tub washing machine. 100% correct with airing clothes on a hanger after wearing them for a few hours. 😉