Ah! Memories. Obtaining a strip of tin from a Building site to fold over forming a "V". Standing in the River and Throwing the "Kylie" at passing Schools of Minnows to feed the Cat. Cutting a suitable "Y" from a tree branch to create a Ging or Shanghai with Leather from Shoe Tongues and Bicycle Tube rubber. "Laccy Guns" made from a couple of pieces of sawn wood using, again, Bicycle Tube rubber and dried peas as Ammo. Selecting a suitable long, pliable branch from a Tea Tree to fashion a Bow and Salt Bush straight sticks for arrows. Bush "Forts" and MORE!

Reactions: Suzanne rose
My enduring nostalgic memories arise from aromatics.
With incredible love, I recall the fragrance of my Mum's favourite "scent" - Black Rose, by Goya.
The memory of this dainty bottle on her dressing table, used sparingly on special occasions, is lasting.
The aromas my Mum created caring for us are so emotive: lighting the kerosene lanterns on dark mornings and the kerosene heater to cook our porridge, the enormous pot of soup or stew bubbling on the stove top for hours, the sponge baked for the birthday child, the fresh batch of scones rolled up in a small tablecloth, the whiff of Dettol on our cut knees, the vapour of Vicks rubbed into our chests, the delicacy of the flowers in the garden - sweet peas, lilacs, violets, jonquils, daffodils, roses, bouvardia, lavender, gardenias.
A favourite is my Grandpa bringing us our "living" Christmas tree each year, a large branch axed from a pine tree on his orchard. Our tree would fill the corner next to the fireplace, and would last for about 6 weeks.
The lingering fragrance of the pine needles permeated our house until they started to drop.
SO GOOD!
Black Rose was my fav perfume, last time I could find any to buy was in 1970s at a chemist,very disappointed when i could never find it again, in 1980 my sister bought me a gift box of perfume, powder and lotion of TABU , but these days( I am 65) I am allergic to all perfumes including stuff others pour all over themselves which gives me huge migraines.

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
I can remember when our mum would bake scones, and nothing better than when they came out or the oven and spreading butter over them and a lovely freshly brewed pot of tea to wash it down.
Mum had a gentleman’s agreement with our uncle who repaired washing machines. Whenever ours broke down he would come and repair it and required fresh scones with jam and cream and a cup of tea.

I was born early 1943 and remember all of these thing so well. I only wish that the camera was so available back then to record these wonderful times and memories. Still recall being all wrapped up in winter watching the TV outside the store at night.

I miss the big Christmas parties with all the family Grandparents to Grandchildren, the cricket game in the backyard, finding the sixpence in Xmas pudding, singing around the piano. Making a mess with all wrapping off presents. It doesn't get anymore Australian than that🌲🥰🇦🇺👍
That doesn't just happen in Australia it happens world wide. Terri

I was born early 1943 and remember all of these thing so well. I only wish that the camera was so available back then to record these wonderful times and memories. Still recall being all wrapped up in winter watching the TV outside the store at night.
My family (with 5 children : 4 to 12 years) migrate to Aust in 1969 and very few families had their own B & W TV even then. We had a colour TV before we left Calif & moving to Aust.

Last edited:
1956 Olympics on B&W TVs in Swanston St Melbourne as a 5 year old, and also seeing the gas light circle (or crown) above the tram tracks at the corner of Swanston and Flinders Sts - the busiest/densest pedestrian traffic in Melbourne (or even Oz?) at that time. The Olympic Games pool and the MCG Athletics venues were about 2 miles? away and I did not know that for many years to come

The safety of being able to go nearly anywhere and not to be always looking over your shoulder for danger.
Misty Dolphin
I am so sorry you feel unsafe & feel you have to look over your shoulder all the time, this is so very sad.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere. Even being female, working alone at night & on weekends, walking the Streets of Sydney.

I agree with all the comments me an my brothers and sister would walk to the sandhills in Warrawong a suburb of Wollongong with a packed lunch my sister was in a pram we would spend all day there then walk home I can't imagine doing that today but our grand children can still climb trees on our property and lots of places to run and hide. the worlds not the same and I do miss it

I had similar experiences growing up in Mt Kuring-gai North of Hornsby, NSW. We called neighbours and friends parents "Aunty or Uncle." We were a bushland community, and loved growing up there.
It is as if it was a different life altogether . Those were the good old carefree days when one walked to school with no fear, rode on buses , went to the movies with friends and played together till the lamps were lit. We had no TV, only an old radio which we treasured. No phones or mobiles. Yet there was so much happiness in the little pleasures we shared. Those days are only a memory that we cling to now.

As a small boy I enjoyed my turn to wind up my Grand mother’s gramophone
Like this one also a cabinet model however this one is not a cylinder player.
Cylinder players played cylindrical records that also had my turn winding it up

We came to Australia when I was 7, I remember moving around a lot due to dad's job, but then we finally settled in WA in a suburb called Morley Park, from our front verandah and front lawn we could see the drive-in screen, but what I remember most is on the hot balmy nights mum and dad would drag our bed mattresses outside for my brother and I to lay on and watch whatever movie was on in the drive-in even though we couldn't hear anything, mum and dad didn't appear worried or concerned, we just laid there until the wee hours and then go back inside, it was fun.
The Drive In movies were the only show in town when I lived in Tom Price W.A. (an Iron Ore mining town). It was great after the intense heat of the day to go and sit out in the cool air to watch a movie and a real occasion for us. At the time we only got the ABC TV programs and they I think were only on during the day until 5 pm.

1942. Wartime. Japanese subs in Sydney Harbour. Shells over Sydney. My country uncle, managing a large sheep station south of Gundagai, says: "Get out of there - come down to the farm". So we do, mother and two sons. I am three and a half. Come June 4th, it's my fourth birthday. I walk into the big country kitchen and there on the table is a cake with four candles. My aunt says: "When you're four, you're a man!" Just then three big piggery workers came in to the kitchen, so I lifted my shoulders and tried to talk real big, because, after all, I was a man now!
It's a video in my head.
georged used to be my login name at work 40 years ago

My favourite memory as a young boy was diving for coins thrown by tourists off the Manly wharf & with the money, then buying fish & chips for lunch, washed down by a coke.
Doing this every weekend, I saved enough money to then go to Luna Park. Such fond memories. 😊
I probably saw you

Reactions: Suzanne rose