A fond memory I have is my billy cart my brother built using scrap materials dragged home from the local tip down the bottom of our street. The wheels were from a discarded pram, and the frame was from timber off-cuts from building sites after World War 2 ended.
We used to sell our old newspapers.
My Mum used to get The Sun, which is a smaller size (Tabloid) than The Age (broadsheet), so my Grandpa used to bring us his old Age newspapers for Mum to bundle up into long rolls and tie with string.
My sister and I would wheel the bundles up to the local greengrocer on our billy carts to sell for a penny a pound.
When we had threepence each, we could go for a swim at the local baths.
Absolute decadence!
Another use for the billy cart was taking the large glass bottle from the kerosene heater up to the local garage to get our quart of blue kerosene.
We were tiny little people, and had to be so careful.
We'd bring home the filled bottle, and Mum would quickly invert the bottle into the circle designed for it. She had to be super quick so not a drop was spilled.
She'd then have "power" to cook our tea...on the metal frame which sat over the burner.
We all sat huddled in the kitchen together, with the kerosene lanterns providing light.
Ah, happy memories pre-electricity.

Last edited:
My most cherished were when I stayed with my maternal Grandma. She taught me to knit and sew, how to cook and how to create a beautiful table setting (for almost nothing) given that she had the beautiful crockery and glassware. We usually ate in the kitchen, but sometimes set ourselves up in the dining room. I also slept in her bed, and we started talking til all hours about various things. I kept up the traditions with my grandchildren who are older now. Two are working and my grandson is 12. He gives me the greatest hugs and still enjoys doing things with us, although social media and mobile phone are taking a lot of his time. (He only got a mobile for his twelfth birthday). We make gingerbread houses for Christmas every year and he's pretty good at the decorating. I am just happy I am giving him (and his sisters) the memories we created after we're gone, and he will also cherish them.

My memories of growing up out of town in the 1960's were many! We enjoyed walks in the bush, picking wildflowers, mushrooming in Autumn, blackberrying in Summer, watching out for snakes! Catching tadpoles in the dam, hoping we'd see them turn into frogs! Lots of things other children never got to do!

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

"What has Australia lost to time that you want to bring back?"
"What do you miss most about the Australia you grew up in?"
"How do you think your childhood was different to your kids/grandkids?"

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852

Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852

Cows, calves, a bull and other animals. Seven children, Mum, Dad and the dairy farm.
Dreams of my àdventerous childhood continue unto this day.
Porridge, home made butter and fresh milk.
All day play with brothers and sisters, some jobs in between, the dog, the cat and kittens, make my amazing, wonderful memories complete.

View attachment 3852
So much freedom when I was young. I could, without trepidation walk to my friend's home, literally 2 kilometers away (a bit over 1 mile), to play. Never ever felt any danger from stangers back then. Maybe we were naive, or sadly maybe the dangers just got worse for future generations. I lived in an Queensland country town, hot in summer and very cold in winter. An old queenslander home with a verandah 2/3 around the house. In summer our beds were always on the verandah with mosquito nets, but in winter our beds would be back in our bedrooms where it was warmer. The kitchen was the hub. A big kitchen with a big combustion stove, a large kitchen table, a big walk in pantry filled with home made jams, pickles and preserved fruit. On hot summer days my father would put the sprinkler on our tin roof just to cool down the house. I remember my dad without a shirt and a wet hankerchief around his neck to keep cool. Two big date palm trees in the front yard always threw a shadow over our house in the later afternoon sun and those two date palms were until recent years were the entry to a Motel. Our house survived a move into the next street, to make way for the Motel. It's not quite the same anymore and hard to recognise, but my memories are still there.

Cows, calves, a bull, chickens, sheep, dogs, cats and kittens. Mum and Dad and seven children, all on a fabulous dairy farm. How I Iove the memories made here. Picnics at the dam, yabbying, fishing and playing with family and neighbours kids. Riding bikes for miles and many other things.

View attachment 3852

December school holidays in the 60’s. The cicadas chirping loudly, endless swimming at the local pool and my brother and I each hanging a pillow slip over the back of a chair at the foot of beds on Christmas eve for Santa to fill with goodies.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I was a child in the 1950's. I miss all the kids in the street just running in and out of each other's houses. No doors were closed. You just went in. If the kids of the house weren't there, you still might get a cake or bickies from their Mum.
Yes that is one of mine. I was thinking of the freedom of playing on the streets and knowing everyone in our street. So different today.

Memory
I grew up and went to school in the sixties in Yokine Western Australia. An Enduring memory I have of Primary School is one year when a young Aboriginal boy named Charlie joined our class. He was the first indigenous lad that I had had as a classmate. In fact I think he was the first at our school. His wide smile and infectious laughter was treasured by myself and my friends.I often wonder what became of Charlie All I know of him is the memories of a primary school kid.

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga

View attachment 3852
My childhood was vastly different to my grandchildren. I walked to school with the knowledge that I was safe. I rode my bike to my friends place and only returned home at dusk. I respected my elders. We were not wealthy but we had a comfortable life. Gifts were given only on birthdays and Christmas. We didn't even have TV until I was about 8/9 and then there were only 4 channels. No video games etc. We got fresh milk given to us at school and I was milk monitor at times. Loved the freedom we experienced.

Reactions: Jennie and Elray
HI
I have just finished watching last episode of Neighbours, I watched the first episode on 7 back in 1985 and was an avid fan for many years watching with my 2 daughters. We taped Charlene and Scott's wedding and watched it so many times, we must have watched thousands of episodes and seen so many of them go onto bigger careers. Congratulations channel 10 for a grand finale...bringing back so many familiar faces (many big names) and a tribute to all the versions of Neighbours song, well done!!!
Sorry I don't do Facebook or twitter, can you put this out there as a big applause to Neighbours, thanks from myself and my 2 girls for many happy years watching

Forget things being different for my grand kids, my adult kids had things far easier that I ever did. We could not afford a car until I was around 12 so walking, tram, train and bus - yeah even to beaches, were the order of the day. There were very few playgrounds in the 50s so my ''regular'' was to dig holes in the back yard and then fill them. Grand dad had a car, with doors that opened backward to cars today and which needed a crank to start. His business phone was FU2412. No joke.Computers, even typewriters were un known to us. TV was black and white with 3 channels. You needed a license to even own a TV or radio. I once saved up 2 shillings to go to the movies and see Johnny Weismuller in glorious black & white swinging from tree to tree. Bread cost 6pence a loaf.

Reactions: Elray
Memories of the whole family spending the day in the bush collecting wood for the stove and open fireplace warm my heart. Mum, Dad and six kids piled into the old green ute -one child in the front and the others in the back, On the way home we sat on top of the wood and hung on for dear life. The day was filled with work and wonder. Dad would chop or saw the wood and we would load it into the back of the ute. Morning tea break would be billy tea and damper made on an open fire for sustenance to continue the job. Mum and Dad would have a break and take us through the bush and point out all the different flowers and educate us on bush craft.
A picnic lunch sitting on logs around the fire with plenty of chatter and the odd argument between the siblings was followed by ensuring the ute was as full as possible to get us through another couple of months of winter. It was great fun sitting on top of the wood on the way home. Lots of tired grumpy kids by the time we arrived home, but it always felt like we had been on an adventure!

Reactions: Annette V and Elray
So many memories of days gone past,
Walking to school and running so fast,
Skipping a rope & riding a bike,
And I was just a little tike!

The clip clop of the milky’s horse,
The bread man leaving his bread of course,
Sixpence of lollies filled the bag,
Dad sitting outside smoking a fag.

Playing chasey with the neighbours every day,
Walking the dog in a lazy way,
Hopscotch, handball & elastics too,
These were the things we liked to do.

Black & white telly with no remote,
Reading books we liked to quote,
My memory is filled with such lovely times,
When my Mum & Dad were still alive!

I remember not having to lock our doors if we were home or not, I also remember getting together with the neighbours and dragging wood up to make our Guy-Fawks bonfire and our mums making us a meal wrapped in alfoil to put at the edges of the fire for dinner that night. Then we would all sit around and the dad's set off the fireworks then their would be the story time.

• Love
The wonder of television was introduced to my family in 1958. Living in a country town in the Latrobe Valley we knew all our neighbours and we all shared in this new phenomenon. We were the first to own a Pye 17” so we shared it. The TV was placed in the window facing out and all the neighbours brought over their favourite chairs and we all watched together. It was like being at the movies, although a 17” screen meant you had to squint a bit.

My cherished memory was the big bonfire on cracker night with all the neighbours. And nobody ever got hurt.

Reactions: Elray