My first date with my future Husband was at the Drive-in, it was just so romantic watching 'Planet of the Apes.' I was a bit underwhelmed with the movie I must say.

Reactions: Marj53 and Strawb
Ahh..the Drive in Movies. Remember them well can be a bit dangerous though. I tore the ligaments in my ankle one night very painful and took a couple of weeks to heal. I got my foot caught in the Glove Box!!!
Sorry about laughing Gordon .. but that IS funny.
Why was your glovebox open?

Reactions: Marj53
I loved our family holidays to the caravan park in Queenscliff vic. Each day we would wait for the bread and milk van to go round the camp racing up to get what mum wanted. Then of course you had that at home as well with the sunicrust baker van then the ice man in his van and of course the milkie of a morning.Ballarat had the Rawleighs man with his truck bringing around clothes for all the family. All the kids of today have is buying from the shops. Good old days were a lot more fun.
I remember the Rawleigh's as having salves, ointments, cleaning products and such like, not clothes.

Reactions: Marj53
I grew up in a small coastal village during Wordl War 11 with approx 5000 airforce people livng on the nearby aerodrome. We could walk anywhere we wanted to, we didn't have to lock our doors, and we could go swimming in the river or the surf. We never had any shark alarms. We had a local 'blue pool' that was left after making the aerodrome runway. We used to swim the river (no bridge) and walk for many miles on the other side, visiting diasy hill viewing the wilkd flowers, the kangaroo tails, xmas bells, boronia, flannel flowers etc. The area was known to have death adders, but we never saw any. There used to be free concerts during the Xmas school holidays every Sunday night with local talents. We also had two "Bingo" (Housey) tents open all through the Xmas holidays. The proceeds used to go to the AMbulands and the local Citixens Club. There was a small train to take us up to the Surf, as there was no road at that time. None of these exist any more. Now we are lucky to get a car space.

Reactions: Nannacas and Judio
I arrived in Perth WA as a backpacker December 1980 and was introduced to the Poms night, at the Broadway Tavern Crawley on Monday nights. The Poms would be on one side of the pub, the Aussies on the other side, with any other nationalaty sat in the middle. There were two guys, one who played the piano another the guitar and a lady Joyce who would walk around with a bucket for donations for charity. Anyone could get up and sing or tell a joke. The banter, singing and harmless ridicule was amazing, when the Ashes cricket or world cup rugby was on. I had my first date with a girl I met at the Herdsman Tavern the Saturday before, listening to Johnny Diesel and the Jets playing, with disco music interludes. She became my wife in 1984. The Broadway Tavern was an institution for anyone arriving in Perth in the early 1980's. The best part, there was never any fights between the differing nationalities ever! A GREAT night was had by all! Beauty, Bonza, Bloody, Ripper Mate!
I was a Barmaid in a previous lifetime during the70's &80's and some of the hotels that I worked at were the same, Public Bars were divided seemingly down the middle with English/Scots/Welsh as a group and Aussies with every other nationality in a group on either side, no arguments or fights just good humored insults back and forth. They were great places to work.

We lived near a golf course and on the weekends we'd sneak in and play in the little pockets of old-growth forest. We'd climb those massive pine trees to the top and enjoy the spectacular views over our suburb, and back on the ground, we'd look for the developing tadpoles in the little ponds. Always watching out for the "Greenie" just made our afternoons exploring nature more exciting! The security fences are too high to scale nowadays. You know, I've met children who have never climbed a tree! Lois.
I also had a wonderful childhood climbing massive pine trees at the golf course down the road. It honestly breaks your heart to know kid's have never felt the joy of climbing and falling out of a tree. Just Jill.

My favourite summer treat was a Sunny Boy orange ice block. They only cost 5c and seemed to last forever. Best still though was when you opened the empty pack to find that you had won a free Sunny Boy! It felt as if they were very generous, sometimes returning day after day for a free icy treat.

My favourite summer treat was a Sunny Boy orange ice block. They only cost 5c and seemed to last forever. Best still though was when you opened the empty pack to find that you had won a free Sunny Boy! It felt as if they were very generous, sometimes returning day after day for a free icy treat.
On holidays our daily walk to the little shop at Beachmere was a real treat. We bought sweets from the jars put into little white paper bags that were such a holiday treat for me and my sisters. Fishing for whiting may have just come first though after pumping out the yabbies on the mudflats. I would ask my little brother to come to pic them up.