My favourite summer treat was a Sunny Boy orange ice block. They only cost 5c and seemed to last forever. Best still though was when you opened the empty pack to find that you had won a free Sunny Boy! It felt as if they were very generous, sometimes returning day after day for a free icy treat.

Reactions: Alioops and Los
The radio show referred to in the memories - Did it start each episode with "Good morning boys" and if I remember correctly Greenbottle always had an excuse for his "misdemeanours". I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the teacher but he was a well known comedian.
I also loved the stories on "50 and over" where people over 50 (in the 50s) would do what we are doing now.

There are so many good memories. Going to the local picture theatre on a Saturday afternoon to sit on the canvas seats and sneaking to meet your boyfriend, unknown to anyone. When the lights went out there was a scuffle to join your boyfriend and another scuffle when the movie finished and lights on to get back to your original seat. Parents would ban us going to movies if they knew. Sitting around the radio as a family and listening to our favourite broadcasts. I wish I could remember the broadcast about a boy who would always get the cuts for being cheeky and say “aw sir, that hurt”. It was so funny. If anyone can remember could you please let me know. Thanks. Also going to the creek to watch the green frogs hopping around. The creek was out of view of adults but that was ok as it was safe and never considered dangerous. Guyfawks night with firework, no longer allowed. Exciting Xmas because you wanted to eat the pudding to find as many threepences as you could. One present from Santa Clause and we were so excited to get that one present. Going to Caloundra every Xmas for holidays with the whole family staying in an old fibro house on the beach. Life has changed so much. So glad I grew up in the 40s and 50 s.

Yes What. My husband remembers very well. You can google the episodes. My family had a place next door to the Currumbin theatre and we used to collect the empty soft drink bottles early in the morning and cash them in at the local shop. Oh the canvas seats and the jaffas rolling down the isle!

There are so many good memories. Going to the local picture theatre on a Saturday afternoon to sit on the canvas seats and sneaking to meet your boyfriend, unknown to anyone. When the lights went out there was a scuffle to join your boyfriend and another scuffle when the movie finished and lights on to get back to your original seat. Parents would ban us going to movies if they knew. Sitting around the radio as a family and listening to our favourite broadcasts. I wish I could remember the broadcast about a boy who would always get the cuts for being cheeky and say “aw sir, that hurt”. It was so funny. If anyone can remember could you please let me know. Thanks. Also going to the creek to watch the green frogs hopping around. The creek was out of view of adults but that was ok as it was safe and never considered dangerous. Guyfawks night with firework, no longer allowed. Exciting Xmas because you wanted to eat the pudding to find as many threepences as you could. One present from Santa Clause and we were so excited to get that one present. Going to Caloundra every Xmas for holidays with the whole family staying in an old fibro house on the beach. Life has changed so much. So glad I grew up in the 40s and 50 s.
Was it called Greenbottle? I can remember listening to it too.

The radio show I think you will find was Greenbottle

The radio was a big part of my childhood. At school we had a big speaker in the corner of every classroom. This was for announcements, but also for the ABC radio shows that were part of the curriculum, and some that were just for entertainment.

The youngest kids, when I was in primary school, were called "bubs", and in bubs' grade we had a radio story at nap time, Mitten the Kitten. He was always in trouble. The show started with him singing "I'm Mitten the kitten, the kitten with the mitten, I'm Mitten the kitten, yo ho." Not exactly top ten material.

For the "health" subject, we had Peter and Wendy Martin. They were two kids who taught us about things like basic hygiene, sound nutrition, and getting exercise, but the episode I remember the most was the one where they exercised their skeptical muscles. One of the twins had woken un and was afraid because they thought there was a ghost in the bedroom. The other one talked them through the experience and they realised it was not a ghost at all, just a jacket hanging on the back of the door.

We had the music show with June Epstein on Tuesday afternoons, with a work book that had all of the songs in it.

At home, my favourite radio spot was just a little five-minute segment on the breakfast show, it was The Adventures of Smocker the Cat. I listened to that show for years and even got a copy of the book. Years later, I got the meet Ross Higgins, who had been the voice of Nasty Neighbour Norton, Smocker's sworn enemy. Even though it had been years since Smocker had been on the radio, Ross was instantly able to recreate Norton's voice for me.

Attachments

• ismocker.jpg
    ismocker.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0
The radio program is as follows, from Wikipaedia:

Yes, What? is an Australian radio comedy first broadcast in 1936 and one of the best known examples of Australian radio drama. Originally called The Fourth Form at St Percy's, it was a comedy set in a school classroom. The program ran for 520 episodes and was written, produced and directed by Rex Dawe.

Enjoy it all over again! Cheers.

Greenbottle was the show.

Reactions: tiger
I can remember going to stay with my Grandparents for the weekend. It was a totally different experience than living at home because Grandma had an outside "dunny" and you had to use cut-up squares of newspaper instead of the lovely soft paper we have today! There was a lane at the back of the house and the Dunnyman would come and empty the Cans for all of the houses that did not have a toilet. If I told a youngster to use cut-up Newspaper to wipe their bottom today, I can imagine the comments!!!
I lived in Maffra in my youth. Same as above re. dunny man. If he came to my house in the middle of the night, you'd better not be on the loo, or be very quiet!!!

The radio was a big part of my childhood. At school we had a big speaker in the corner of every classroom. This was for announcements, but also for the ABC radio shows that were part of the curriculum, and some that were just for entertainment.

The youngest kids, when I was in primary school, were called "bubs", and in bubs' grade we had a radio story at nap time, Mitten the Kitten. He was always in trouble. The show started with him singing "I'm Mitten the kitten, the kitten with the mitten, I'm Mitten the kitten, yo ho." Not exactly top ten material.

For the "health" subject, we had Peter and Wendy Martin. They were two kids who taught us about things like basic hygiene, sound nutrition, and getting exercise, but the episode I remember the most was the one where they exercised their skeptical muscles. One of the twins had woken un and was afraid because they thought there was a ghost in the bedroom. The other one talked them through the experience and they realised it was not a ghost at all, just a jacket hanging on the back of the door.

We had the music show with June Epstein on Tuesday afternoons, with a work book that had all of the songs in it.

At home, my favourite radio spot was just a little five-minute segment on the breakfast show, it was The Adventures of Smocker the Cat. I listened to that show for years and even got a copy of the book. Years later, I got the meet Ross Higgins, who had been the voice of Nasty Neighbour Norton, Smocker's sworn enemy. Even though it had been years since Smocker had been on the radio, Ross was instantly able to recreate Norton's voice for me.
I can remember sitting down with my grandfather on a Sunday night listening to Mr Gallagher and Mr Sheen on a very statically radio So long ago!

Reactions: Tervueren
I can remember sitting down with my grandfather on a Sunday night listening to Mr Gallagher and Mr Sheen on a very statically radio So long ago!
Ross was such a talented man. He had so many different voices! I used to love listening to tv commercials and picking out when I recognised his voice

What a treat, going to the drive-in! My sister and I would have to be ready in our jarmies, but that didn't matter on a warm summer night. Before the show, we could play on the swings and slide located under the big screen.

It was always a bit of a battle for Mum, getting the speaker into the exact right position as she wound her window up to hold it in place.

The show was always a double feature, and we would go to the candy bar at intermission for some popcorn and an ice cream. The ice cream was plain vanilla in a little cardboard dixie cup with a flat wooden spoon to scoop it out.

My sister and I pretty much always fell asleep during the main feature, especially if it was something boring, like a love story or a bunch of confusing spies. We would wake up the next morning in our beds. How did we get there? I can only say "Thanks, Dad", for that bit of magic.

• Love
Reactions: Liag and Laurleen
Like you, sordfish2blue, I too have great memories of ‘Yes, What’, with Greenbottle, and other radio programmes. Another that comes to mind is ‘The Shadow’, introduced with spooky music and an eerie, ‘the Shado-o-o-w kno-o-o-ws…!’ Dick Fair’s Amateur Hour, a Sunday evening show, was around that time too. Yes, definitely a good time to grow up.

Reactions: Laurleen
In 1988 I met up with my sister in Sydney for Australia Day celebrations with the Tall Ships in Port. We sat on the concrete with feet hanging over edge watching the spectacular fireworks on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Reactions: Marj53
I arrived in Perth WA as a backpacker December 1980 and was introduced to the Poms night, at the Broadway Tavern Crawley on Monday nights. The Poms would be on one side of the pub, the Aussies on the other side, with any other nationalaty sat in the middle. There were two guys, one who played the piano another the guitar and a lady Joyce who would walk around with a bucket for donations for charity. Anyone could get up and sing or tell a joke. The banter, singing and harmless ridicule was amazing, when the Ashes cricket or world cup rugby was on. I had my first date with a girl I met at the Herdsman Tavern the Saturday before, listening to Johnny Diesel and the Jets playing, with disco music interludes. She became my wife in 1984. The Broadway Tavern was an institution for anyone arriving in Perth in the early 1980's. The best part, there was never any fights between the differing nationalities ever! A GREAT night was had by all! Beauty, Bonza, Bloody, Ripper Mate!