The controversial ALDI feature that has shoppers fuming

We all know that technology can be a blessing and a curse, and it appears that retail giant ALDI has triggered quite a polarised reaction among their devoted Australian customers with their controversial new feature.

Self-serve checkouts have slowly been finding their way into ALDI stores across the country, beginning in 2021, which has left shoppers either delighted by the convenient addition or lamenting the loss of personal service.

One shopper from the Sunshine Coast was thrilled to discover self-serve checkouts at her local ALDI.

In a post on the Mums who Budget and Save Facebook group, she excitedly shared her discovery, writing, 'ALDI shoppers! So many times, I have heard people say, “Why don't they have self-checkouts?”... Well, look what has arrived at my local on the Sunshine Coast.'

Little did she know, her enthusiastic post would ignite a flurry of responses, with disgruntled shoppers arguing against the self-serve checkouts in favour of traditional manned registers.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 1.05.33 PM.png
The self-serve registers are being rolled out in ALDI branches across the country. Credit: Facebook.

'Many a time, I've left a full trolley and walked out. If they're not going to pay someone to serve me, they can pay someone to put everything back out of my trolley,' one frustrated customer replied.

'I don't use any self-checkout. I don't work there!' added another, whilst a third comment chimed in, 'I prefer human interaction and to help people keep their jobs.'

Others lamented the inconvenience of using self-serve checkouts during large shopping trips, and some voiced concerns about the checkouts not accepting cash payments or having volumes that are 'too loud'.

'I do a massive shop, and the last thing I need is to put it through myself!' complained one shopper, with another saying, 'Wrong. Just wrong.'

However, among the critics, there were also self-serve checkout fans who expressed their appreciation for the speed and flexibility that these checkouts offer.

'I absolutely love them. I now can go through with my basket of stuff and not have to wait in line,' praised one happy shopper.

Others mentioned how helpful self-serve checkouts are for small errands or for keeping children entertained during their grocery runs.

'My kids love using the self-serve checkouts, so they are happy to do it for me,' a parent shared.

ALDI has addressed these concerns several times since the introduction of self-serve checkouts. A spokesperson previously told a news source, 'Self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop, and all ALDI self-serve checkouts are card only to maximise efficiencies.'

Interestingly, some customers have also complained in the past about speedy ALDI staff scanning items too quickly at normal registers. One Facebook user wrote, 'At least now I can pack my groceries without it being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!'

One former ALDI employee addressed this concern, clarifying that workers' scan rates are monitored and encouraged customers to take advantage of the packing bench next to the registers for a more relaxed shopping experience.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers are venting their frustrations as the retailer installs self-serve checkouts in more stores across the country.
  • Customers claim they prefer to put their groceries through at staffed tills and 'refuse to use' self-serve checkouts, especially as many are card-only. While some customers dislike the self-serve checkouts, others have praised the convenience they provide for those with smaller shopping loads.
  • ALDI has addressed checkout concerns multiple times, stating that self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop and that they are card-only to maximise efficiencies.

Whether you embrace the convenience of self-serve checkouts or prefer the human touch of working with a cashier, we can all agree that being aware of these features will help us navigate the ever-evolving retail landscape better.

We would like to ask, however, which side are you on? Are you inclined towards the self-serve checkouts with their conveniences? Or do you lean towards manned checkouts, valuing the personal service of having someone check out your groceries for you? Kindly share your preference in the comments section below!

Sponsored
We all know that technology can be a blessing and a curse, and it appears that retail giant ALDI has triggered quite a polarised reaction among their devoted Australian customers with their controversial new feature.

Self-serve checkouts have slowly been finding their way into ALDI stores across the country, beginning in 2021, which has left shoppers either delighted by the convenient addition or lamenting the loss of personal service.

One shopper from the Sunshine Coast was thrilled to discover self-serve checkouts at her local ALDI.

In a post on the Mums who Budget and Save Facebook group, she excitedly shared her discovery, writing, 'ALDI shoppers! So many times, I have heard people say, “Why don't they have self-checkouts?”... Well, look what has arrived at my local on the Sunshine Coast.'

Little did she know, her enthusiastic post would ignite a flurry of responses, with disgruntled shoppers arguing against the self-serve checkouts in favour of traditional manned registers.

View attachment 21216
The self-serve registers are being rolled out in ALDI branches across the country. Credit: Facebook.

'Many a time, I've left a full trolley and walked out. If they're not going to pay someone to serve me, they can pay someone to put everything back out of my trolley,' one frustrated customer replied.

'I don't use any self-checkout. I don't work there!' added another, whilst a third comment chimed in, 'I prefer human interaction and to help people keep their jobs.'

Others lamented the inconvenience of using self-serve checkouts during large shopping trips, and some voiced concerns about the checkouts not accepting cash payments or having volumes that are 'too loud'.

'I do a massive shop, and the last thing I need is to put it through myself!' complained one shopper, with another saying, 'Wrong. Just wrong.'

However, among the critics, there were also self-serve checkout fans who expressed their appreciation for the speed and flexibility that these checkouts offer.

'I absolutely love them. I now can go through with my basket of stuff and not have to wait in line,' praised one happy shopper.

Others mentioned how helpful self-serve checkouts are for small errands or for keeping children entertained during their grocery runs.

'My kids love using the self-serve checkouts, so they are happy to do it for me,' a parent shared.

ALDI has addressed these concerns several times since the introduction of self-serve checkouts. A spokesperson previously told a news source, 'Self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop, and all ALDI self-serve checkouts are card only to maximise efficiencies.'

Interestingly, some customers have also complained in the past about speedy ALDI staff scanning items too quickly at normal registers. One Facebook user wrote, 'At least now I can pack my groceries without it being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!'

One former ALDI employee addressed this concern, clarifying that workers' scan rates are monitored and encouraged customers to take advantage of the packing bench next to the registers for a more relaxed shopping experience.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers are venting their frustrations as the retailer installs self-serve checkouts in more stores across the country.
  • Customers claim they prefer to put their groceries through at staffed tills and 'refuse to use' self-serve checkouts, especially as many are card-only. While some customers dislike the self-serve checkouts, others have praised the convenience they provide for those with smaller shopping loads.
  • ALDI has addressed checkout concerns multiple times, stating that self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop and that they are card-only to maximise efficiencies.

Whether you embrace the convenience of self-serve checkouts or prefer the human touch of working with a cashier, we can all agree that being aware of these features will help us navigate the ever-evolving retail landscape better.

We would like to ask, however, which side are you on? Are you inclined towards the self-serve checkouts with their conveniences? Or do you lean towards manned checkouts, valuing the personal service of having someone check out your groceries for you? Kindly share your preference in the comments section below!
Check outs that are manned with a human touch are to my mind, more reliable, less stressful and keeping staff employed

I refuse to do a job which denies someone else from working. Self-checkouts are just another money-making scam for big business. They don't reduce the price of my shopping if I do the work of a checkout employee so they just add that to their profits.

All my local Aldi stores have self serve checkouts now. There's usually one manned checkout open.
People on social media are saying they are boycotting Coles and shopping at Woolworths. It's only a matter of time before Woolworths removes them.
Coles have removed all their manned checkouts at some stores near me. I was talking to a Coles staff member at the self checkout (this store hasn't changed yet) and was telling her that other stores have 3 staff members to help people at these self serve checkouts. She replied that there is only her and 2 other staff members already covering manned and self serve checkouts, so they won't lose their jobs. She added that watching/helping self serve customers is an easy job to get paid for. :rolleyes:

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

I love those because if you go to ALDI for just a few items it was always a hassle to go to the counter and I don't think that they have less staff just because of it

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

So some gutless people love these job stealing machines.... Do they worry about the unemployment and homeless situations.... Of course not, well I hope that these arrogant people end up in one of these situations if not both and see how they like it...

So some gutless people love these job stealing machines.... Do they worry about the unemployment and homeless situations.... Of course not, well I hope that these arrogant people end up in one of these situations if not both and see how they like it...
When I only have a few items I always prefer self checkout options - hate waiting in queues just for three things!!! So am so sorry for those of you who are too lazy to use them!!!!!

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

For only a small shop of under 6 items I’m
happy to use the self-serve checkouts - mainly because of time. It can be - and us - inconvenient to stand in line at a manned checkout waiting for the person ahead of you to fiddle and faddle about searching for correct change in his/her pockets or purse. But fur shopping over 6 items I will only use the manned checkouts. I really like the interaction of speaking with an actual human being … AND it’s my tiny contribution to ensuring proper staffing at supermarkets and other stores. In places like Kmart, if there is only self-serve available, I leave my ‘almost’ purchases at the machine and walk out as the lack of checkout staff means (to me) that that store does NOT consider - or care about customer service being a priority.

• Haha
Reactions: Gaena and freedy50
I refuse to use self checkouts. I went in a particular Target store that only has self checkouts and I waited till a staff member came over. He said “don’t you know how to use them?” I said yes I do but I choose not to, I don’t work here.

Same old stupid replies again from all the sheep. 😂😂😂😂

Aldi purposely don't employ a lot of people to help keep costs down. (Staff costs are the biggest expense of a business). The same reason most things are on the shelves in boxes. And the people they employ have to do everything anyway. Having self checkouts will free them to do other back of the shop jobs. I wish all my local Aldi's hurried up and got self checkouts. And all my local Woolies should have Scan&Go. I hate waiting in a queue just because people think they want to have a chat with the cashier, which they can't anyway there as it's so quick. I only put all my shopping straight back in my trolley after it's scanned. I hate other people packing my groceries. Obviously there's a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands that don't mind hanging around in supermarkets as part of their day? 🙄

And what business is it anyway of the anti self checkout brigade worrying about how many staff a supermarket employs? It's their business and obviously nobody on here knows anything about how businesses work, but they always jump on this same boring bandwagon🥱
If they employ less staff then part of their costs are lower and in theory they could make things cheaper.
These are businesses, like all businesses, that are started by people to make profits for the owners. They're not charities.

I do not mind using the self serve checkouts, however there needs to be some assistance with their use. They are machines, and sometimes, functions go awry and there has to be a process for enough staff to assist all process. . I have noticed at my Aldi, there are 3 checkouts, although only one is normally operated. The service for the automated checkouts is the same person helping customers with the automated checkouts. I was left waiting for about 15 minutes during a busy time for someone to clear a checkout process started but left by someone else prior to me.

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

I will not use self serve checkouts as I prefer to keep someone in a job and like the interaction with the staff who serve me.

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

If you’re standing behind someone with a trolley full of shopping and you’ve only got a few items, wouldn’t it be easier and quicker to use the self serve checkout? I personally have used the Aldi checkout a few times since our Aldi store installed them. Nothing wrong with them at all 👍

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

I always use the manned checkouts I like to help person keep their job,But I do think the operators could learn to scan items in order (scan bread first? and then put groceries on top???)my Aldi has about 4 square inches of counter to pack on,I usually have to move away from the register to re pack a little thought could avoid this..or. buy less at a time,

Personally I detest self serve checkouts and don't EVER use them, I'm of the same opinion as many others have stated here - it takes jobs from real people! Having said that I can understand the convenience of self serve if you only have one or two items rather than waiting at the checkout behind someone who has a month's worth of shopping on the conveyor belt. If I only want one or two items, I just go elsewhere and avoid Aldi altogether

So, how long are you prepared to wait when the shop is busy? At these times when people are doing their main weekly shop it will take just as long or even longer at the self serve checkouts because most people that i have seen weekly shopping will not be as quick as the checkout operators even doing it through the self serve so making people behind them wait longer as happens at Woolies and Coles.