The controversial ALDI feature that has shoppers fuming

We all know that technology can be a blessing and a curse, and it appears that retail giant ALDI has triggered quite a polarised reaction among their devoted Australian customers with their controversial new feature.

Self-serve checkouts have slowly been finding their way into ALDI stores across the country, beginning in 2021, which has left shoppers either delighted by the convenient addition or lamenting the loss of personal service.

One shopper from the Sunshine Coast was thrilled to discover self-serve checkouts at her local ALDI.

In a post on the Mums who Budget and Save Facebook group, she excitedly shared her discovery, writing, 'ALDI shoppers! So many times, I have heard people say, “Why don't they have self-checkouts?”... Well, look what has arrived at my local on the Sunshine Coast.'

Little did she know, her enthusiastic post would ignite a flurry of responses, with disgruntled shoppers arguing against the self-serve checkouts in favour of traditional manned registers.

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 1.05.33 PM.png
The self-serve registers are being rolled out in ALDI branches across the country. Credit: Facebook.

'Many a time, I've left a full trolley and walked out. If they're not going to pay someone to serve me, they can pay someone to put everything back out of my trolley,' one frustrated customer replied.

'I don't use any self-checkout. I don't work there!' added another, whilst a third comment chimed in, 'I prefer human interaction and to help people keep their jobs.'

Others lamented the inconvenience of using self-serve checkouts during large shopping trips, and some voiced concerns about the checkouts not accepting cash payments or having volumes that are 'too loud'.

'I do a massive shop, and the last thing I need is to put it through myself!' complained one shopper, with another saying, 'Wrong. Just wrong.'

However, among the critics, there were also self-serve checkout fans who expressed their appreciation for the speed and flexibility that these checkouts offer.

'I absolutely love them. I now can go through with my basket of stuff and not have to wait in line,' praised one happy shopper.

Others mentioned how helpful self-serve checkouts are for small errands or for keeping children entertained during their grocery runs.

'My kids love using the self-serve checkouts, so they are happy to do it for me,' a parent shared.

ALDI has addressed these concerns several times since the introduction of self-serve checkouts. A spokesperson previously told a news source, 'Self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop, and all ALDI self-serve checkouts are card only to maximise efficiencies.'

Interestingly, some customers have also complained in the past about speedy ALDI staff scanning items too quickly at normal registers. One Facebook user wrote, 'At least now I can pack my groceries without it being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!'

One former ALDI employee addressed this concern, clarifying that workers' scan rates are monitored and encouraged customers to take advantage of the packing bench next to the registers for a more relaxed shopping experience.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers are venting their frustrations as the retailer installs self-serve checkouts in more stores across the country.
  • Customers claim they prefer to put their groceries through at staffed tills and 'refuse to use' self-serve checkouts, especially as many are card-only. While some customers dislike the self-serve checkouts, others have praised the convenience they provide for those with smaller shopping loads.
  • ALDI has addressed checkout concerns multiple times, stating that self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop and that they are card-only to maximise efficiencies.

Whether you embrace the convenience of self-serve checkouts or prefer the human touch of working with a cashier, we can all agree that being aware of these features will help us navigate the ever-evolving retail landscape better.

We would like to ask, however, which side are you on? Are you inclined towards the self-serve checkouts with their conveniences? Or do you lean towards manned checkouts, valuing the personal service of having someone check out your groceries for you? Kindly share your preference in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Definitely MANNED CHECKOUTS for me!!
You know, each to their own but it looks like eventually we will not have a choice, it will be one way, or the highway and that is what PISSES ME OFF!! Same goes for cash and cashless, we should have the CHOICE, not everyone has or wants a credit card or a mobile phone, let alone with internet and a lot of people can't afford these either!!
Sorry for my RANT people!

We all know that technology can be a blessing and a curse, and it appears that retail giant ALDI has triggered quite a polarised reaction among their devoted Australian customers with their controversial new feature.

Self-serve checkouts have slowly been finding their way into ALDI stores across the country, beginning in 2021, which has left shoppers either delighted by the convenient addition or lamenting the loss of personal service.

One shopper from the Sunshine Coast was thrilled to discover self-serve checkouts at her local ALDI.

In a post on the Mums who Budget and Save Facebook group, she excitedly shared her discovery, writing, 'ALDI shoppers! So many times, I have heard people say, “Why don't they have self-checkouts?”... Well, look what has arrived at my local on the Sunshine Coast.'

Little did she know, her enthusiastic post would ignite a flurry of responses, with disgruntled shoppers arguing against the self-serve checkouts in favour of traditional manned registers.

View attachment 21216
The self-serve registers are being rolled out in ALDI branches across the country. Credit: Facebook.

'Many a time, I've left a full trolley and walked out. If they're not going to pay someone to serve me, they can pay someone to put everything back out of my trolley,' one frustrated customer replied.

'I don't use any self-checkout. I don't work there!' added another, whilst a third comment chimed in, 'I prefer human interaction and to help people keep their jobs.'

Others lamented the inconvenience of using self-serve checkouts during large shopping trips, and some voiced concerns about the checkouts not accepting cash payments or having volumes that are 'too loud'.

'I do a massive shop, and the last thing I need is to put it through myself!' complained one shopper, with another saying, 'Wrong. Just wrong.'

However, among the critics, there were also self-serve checkout fans who expressed their appreciation for the speed and flexibility that these checkouts offer.

'I absolutely love them. I now can go through with my basket of stuff and not have to wait in line,' praised one happy shopper.

Others mentioned how helpful self-serve checkouts are for small errands or for keeping children entertained during their grocery runs.

'My kids love using the self-serve checkouts, so they are happy to do it for me,' a parent shared.

ALDI has addressed these concerns several times since the introduction of self-serve checkouts. A spokesperson previously told a news source, 'Self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop, and all ALDI self-serve checkouts are card only to maximise efficiencies.'

Interestingly, some customers have also complained in the past about speedy ALDI staff scanning items too quickly at normal registers. One Facebook user wrote, 'At least now I can pack my groceries without it being thrown at my face! No offence to ALDI staff, but you guys are just too quick!'

One former ALDI employee addressed this concern, clarifying that workers' scan rates are monitored and encouraged customers to take advantage of the packing bench next to the registers for a more relaxed shopping experience.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI shoppers are venting their frustrations as the retailer installs self-serve checkouts in more stores across the country.
  • Customers claim they prefer to put their groceries through at staffed tills and 'refuse to use' self-serve checkouts, especially as many are card-only. While some customers dislike the self-serve checkouts, others have praised the convenience they provide for those with smaller shopping loads.
  • ALDI has addressed checkout concerns multiple times, stating that self-serve checkouts are a quick and convenient way for customers to shop and that they are card-only to maximise efficiencies.

Whether you embrace the convenience of self-serve checkouts or prefer the human touch of working with a cashier, we can all agree that being aware of these features will help us navigate the ever-evolving retail landscape better.

We would like to ask, however, which side are you on? Are you inclined towards the self-serve checkouts with their conveniences? Or do you lean towards manned checkouts, valuing the personal service of having someone check out your groceries for you? Kindly share your preference in the comments section below!
Well I'll be still standing in line waiting for a human to serve me this is a simple cash grab costing society job's simple as that profits 📈 before customers

Definitely MANNED CHECKOUTS for me!!
You know, each to their own but it looks like eventually we will not have a choice, it will be one way, or the highway and that is what PISSES ME OFF!! Same goes for cash and cashless, we should have the CHOICE, not everyone has or wants a credit card or a mobile phone, let alone with internet and a lot of people can't afford these either!!
Sorry for my RANT people!
I was at Aldi today. The staff told me that Aldi will keep one manned checkout for people. Too many people have complained.

Reactions: gollywog
I was at Aldi today. The staff told me that Aldi will keep one manned checkout for people. Too many people have complained.
Penny4, I certainly hope so and I hope that goes for all their stores, in all states!! Thank you for your reply!

Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

ALDI charge a surcharge for use of credit cards. Why not a discount for serf serve./ They are winning twice over. You pay to make a purchase, then you save them money by putting somebody out of a job. ALDI is the most successful con job in the last 15 years.

I hate using them coz if something goes awry you have to wait for one person dealing with 10 checkouts and half the time they're chatting and not responsive.

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

I was formerly a Fraud Prevention Officer with the world's first Department store. Shop Lifting, Shop Stealing is pandemic. It will only increase with self serve & surcharge on credit cards. 'If they charge me then I will steal something to make up for it'. 90% of shoppers have no qualms of taking something even if it is a genuine mistake. "After all they charge me for it"

Reactions: Penny4
When I only have a few items I always prefer self checkout options - hate waiting in queues just for three things!!! So am so sorry for those of you who are too lazy to use them!!!!!
That's why they have an express checkout (X items or fewer). No need to use self serve and no need to wait in a queue when you only have three things.

QUOTE="Phantom55, post: 211548, member: 73420"]
I always use the manned checkouts I like to help person keep their job,But I do think the operators could learn to scan items in order (scan bread first? and then put groceries on top???)my Aldi has about 4 square inches of counter to pack on,I usually have to move away from the register to re pack a little thou.or. buy less at a time,
[/QUOTES
Do you not realise that you are supposed to put your groceries directly into your trolley and then take them to the benches provided to pack
That is the reason for the operators scanning your products quickly, so as you do not keep other people waiting while you take your time packing at the checkout.
This is one of the ways Aldi keeps their costs down, and therefore keep prices down.
Why would you want your bread scanned first, I have my bread, eggs, etc.scanned last so they can be on the top and not under other heavy items getting squashed???

QUOTE="Ashbeare, post: 211815, member: 65405"]
ALDI charge a surcharge for use of credit cards. Why not a discount for serf serve./ They are winning twice over. You pay to make a purchase, then you save them money by putting somebody out of a job. ALDI is the most successful con job in the last 15 years.
[/QUOTE
Oh for heaven's sake, simple, use the manned checkout and pay cash, or if you think Aldi is a con job, go pay more and shop at Coles and Woolies
and leave Aldi to the people who appreciate it.
Seems as though nobody is happy these days unless they are complaining.

Check outs that are manned with a human touch are to my mind, more reliable, less stressful and keeping staff employed
I'm against doing young people out of jobs, many young ones out of school start their careers from working at checkouts in supermarkets. Also expecting people to put their shopping thru the checkout after just spending an hour putting it in their trolley, is not fair, especially for older folk. What's happened to good service these days. Disgusting 🤢

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

Great idea Aldi will help with the waiting time at checkouts and. D able to pack your own product

Sorry, bi
I'm against doing young people out of jobs, many young ones out of school start their careers from working at checkouts in supermarkets. Also expecting people to put their shopping thru the checkout after just spending an hour putting it in their trolley, is not fair, especially for older folk. What's happened to good service these days. Disgusting 🤢
You don't have to use the self serve checkout, you can use the one with the checkout operator, but you still need to pack yourself.
It's not poor service, it's how they keep their costs down. If you want the extra service I'm afraid you will have to go to Coles or Woolies and pay for it. Unfortunately, we can't have it both ways 🤷

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

If I wanted to be a checkout chick (excuse the pun) I would have applied for a job years ago!!

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

We would like to ask, however, which side are you on? Are you inclined towards the self-serve checkouts with their conveniences? Or do you lean towards manned checkouts, valuing the personal service of having someone check out your groceries for you? Kindly share your preference in the comments section

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21216

Key Takeaways

People with only a small amount of shopping would embrace this as the waiting time for them when you are behind someone off loading their full trolly of shopping and you are waiting for someone to open another checkout so you can try and get there before people with big shops is like a marathon. So for a few things that I have to get I would probably use them. Although looking at the pic of it, there is no where to put your groceries after you put them through and I for one will not put them on the floor until I have finished only to have to pick them up again.