Talk about a wake-up call! Breakfast prices leave customer iced with disbelief

As the cost-of-living crisis continues to bite, Australians are becoming increasingly aware of every dollar they spend.

However, even the most budget-conscious among us might be in for a shock when it comes to the price of dining out, especially for something as seemingly simple as what this customer has experienced.

The individual expressed disbelief at the eye-watering bill, sparking a wave of reactions from people who couldn't fathom shelling out such a hefty sum for a morning pick-me-up.

Recently, an Aussie diner's experience at a beachside café in Darwin left many shaking their heads in disbelief.

The customer, who shared his story on a social media thread, was charged a shocking $77 for two egg and bacon rolls with avocado, and two iced coffees.

The breakdown of the bill was enough to make anyone's wallet flinch: $44 for the rolls, $20 for the coffees, an additional $6 for ice cream in the coffee, and to top it off, a $7 Sunday surcharge.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 114342.jpg
A customer was shocked at their breakfast bill amounting to $77 at a Darwin beachside café. Credits: Reddit / u/LeeWiserEnvoy

The post quickly gathered momentum, and many expressed their frustration with the current state of affairs,

One commenter lamented, 'That's why I don't go out anymore.'

Another was more direct, stating, 'You got ripped off big time.'

‘Charging an extra $3 for ice cream, that should already be included in a $10 iced coffee,’ a third said.

‘And the audacity to add a Sunday surcharge,’ another added.

One reader asked, ‘That is absolutely crazy. Were they any good at least?’ to which the author replied, ‘Yes! To be fair, it was really nice food—but I still had to do a double take when I saw the cost.’

Meanwhile, one commenter asked, ‘Don’t people check the prices before they order?’ and the author replied, saying, ‘Sadly I have no excuse. I was with someone who suggested the brekky rolls, then I went straight to the counter, and ordered without viewing a menu.’

‘I’ve learnt my lesson about tapping without paying attention and walking away,’ they added.

Another café in New South Wales faced backlash for charging $4 for a babycino—essentially a small cup of steamed milk for children—which is the same price as a cup of piccolo, after a mum shared her experience on social media.

‘Seriously?! I understand inflation and the costs of running a small hospitality business, but do you really need to charge $4 for about 50mL of milk?’ the mum asked.

‘I have never known anyone to order a babycino only, there’s always coffees (and money) being made already with the order. In our case, $38.’

‘We don’t go out much, but is this the norm now?’ she added.

This incident sparked outrage among commenters.

‘I have never seen a babycino [for] more than $2,’ one said.

‘That’s absolutely ridiculous! No way I would pay $4 for a babycino, especially because I get a latte, and it would just be the bit of foam off the top of the milk they use for it,’ another exclaimed.

However, a third replied, ‘The people spending money on this are literally part of the problem.’

There had also been previous criticisms regarding the price of coffee shop products.

To match this, some experts shared some tips on how to save money on your next order. You can read the full details and more here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian diner was shocked at the hefty price of $77 for two egg and bacon rolls and two iced coffees at a Darwin beachside café.
  • The cost included a Sunday surcharge and additional charges for added avocado and ice cream.
  • Social media users expressed disbelief and criticism over the pricing, with some suggesting the customer was 'ripped off’.
  • A separate incident where a NSW café was also criticised for charging $4 for a babycino, sparking debate over fair pricing for simple menu items.
Have you ever had a similar experience in cafés or restaurants? Do you have your own tricks to save money when eating out? We’d love to hear your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Can only assume there were no prices on the menu, or they just sat down, 'we'll have 2 xyz with extra blah blah blah'. The old adage, if you have to ask, you can't afford. Now it seems, just vent your spleen on social media and get the standard replies of 'your were robbed, name them, etc. Nothing wrong with reading the menu and seeing the price and then just walking out and explain to the operator why.

I would have no qualms about looking at the menu and if too expensive for me I would get up and walk away. Some places have the menu in the window or outside or you could look up online before you go out for a meal so you have an idea of the cost of your meal. We can afford to pay these prices but we have decided we will eat at home. Recently we thought we would go to our local bowls club which is right next door to where we live. Lamb shanks $32. That would be $64 for the two of us plus drinks. I can get a pack of 2 ready cooked lamb shanks from Aldi (which we have had on a couple of occasions) for around $15 sometimes a bit less. One of these lamb shanks we have found is plenty between both of us with lovely baked veg done in the airfryer and some greens done in the microwave. Works out at a hell of a lot less than $64. Can have this on the table in an hour and very little work as you just bung the lamb shanks in the oven for 55 mins and I have the baked veg on a low speed in the airfryer and in the last fifteen minutes raise temp to brown the veg and at the last few minutes in go the green veg in the microwave. I calculate we get the two meals for around $12.

I would have no qualms about looking at the menu and if too expensive for me I would get up and walk away. Some places have the menu in the window or outside or you could look up online before you go out for a meal so you have an idea of the cost of your meal. We can afford to pay these prices but we have decided we will eat at home. Recently we thought we would go to our local bowls club which is right next door to where we live. Lamb shanks $32. That would be $64 for the two of us plus drinks. I can get a pack of 2 ready cooked lamb shanks from Aldi (which we have had on a couple of occasions) for around $15 sometimes a bit less. One of these lamb shanks we have found is plenty between both of us with lovely baked veg done in the airfryer and some greens done in the microwave. Works out at a hell of a lot less than $64. Can have this on the table in an hour and very little work as you just bung the lamb shanks in the oven for 55 mins and I have the baked veg on a low speed in the airfryer and in the last fifteen minutes raise temp to brown the veg and at the last few minutes in go the green veg in the microwave. I calculate we get the two meals for around $12.
I try to keep meals below $1.50 and eat once per day.

• Sad
Reactions: Miss Chris
then how would the millennials be able to blame the boomers over their smashed avocado on toast with a coffee ($25) for their inability to get a housing loan?
Correct. We are not stupid to pay those prices. Eating out used to be fairly affordable but these days it is beyond the pale with what is being charged.

Reactions: Jennie
The problem is that rates, insurance and wages have gone up. You are no longer paying for the food. At home you are not counting the cost of labour and payroll tax nor gst. I was in a restaurant with a mother’s group. They had nice coffee and cake. Don’t know what they gave the kids but the cleanup afterwards was immense and nowhere near the cost what the little ones would have paid for.

This is the reason why we don't go out much anymore and have been to this cafe "ONCE" !!!! Don't they want return customers?