Aussies fuming at this cafe's 'ridiculous' price for babycino

The humble ‘babycino'—a baby cappuccino—is a frothy cup of steamed milk loved by many children.

However, the beloved drink has become the centre of a heated debate as an NSW cafe has recently been criticised for charging customers $4 for a babycino—the same price as a cup of piccolo coffee.

The controversy began when a disgruntled customer took to social media to express her disbelief at the cost of the child-friendly beverage during a family outing.

'Seriously? I understand inflation and the costs of running a small hospitality business, but do you really need to charge $4 for about 50mL of milk?' the disgruntled mum asked.

SDC Images (9).png
A babycino was priced at $4 at a cafe in NSW. Image source: Freepik.

'I have never known anyone ever to order a babycino only, there’s always coffees (and money) being made already with the order. In our case, $38.'

'We don’t go out much, but is this the norm now?'

The customer's post included a photo of three empty cups taped to a wall, displaying the prices of various beverages which included a large iced latte or adult milkshake priced at $8, a small iced latte or kids milkshake priced at $7, and the contentious babycino or piccolo priced at $4.

The post sparked a flurry of responses, with many expressing shock at the 'pretty outrageous' price of the babycino.

'I have never seen a babycino more than $2,' one commenter said.

While another added, 'That's absolutely ridiculous. No way I would pay $4 for a babycino especially because I get a latte, and it would just be the bit of foam off the top of the milk they use for it.'

SDC 3.png
The babycino had the same price as a cup of piccolo. Image source: Facebook.

However, not everyone was quick to condemn the cafe. A barista with 15 years of experience in the hospitality industry chimed in, explaining that the price does not just cover 'only frothed milk'.

'The barista making it is essentially wasting milk underneath that froth because it’s not textured to use for another coffee most of the time.'

'Most places also give marshmallows or something small too, the takeaway cup and lid and the barista’s time as a staff member all costs money. However, I wouldn’t pay $4 for it myself.'

'At some stage, customers wanted this on the menu, so pricing will change as it needs with inflation, wage increases, [and] produce/product items increase.'

'Most baristas can’t stand making them especially when [they’re really busy], and the amount of time I’ve had customers waiting on their coffee order blatantly stare at me impatiently waiting whilst watching me scoop froth to a tiny cup is countless and annoying.'

Another user agreed, saying, 'You’re being charged for the cup, lid and the time used to make one. Also some profit. It is ridiculous, but so is the cost of bills and wages.'

While one user suggested: 'The people spending money on this are literally part of the problem.'

Some Aussies shared that a babycino at McDonald’s costs between 90 cents to $1, depending on the location. Bunnings, a popular hardware store chain, offers them for free when a coffee is purchased.

'We go to Bunnings. Babycinos are free with a coffee there,' one parent shared.

This news comes after migration lawyer Traci Chen was charged $8.90 for a cup of coffee at a hotel bar inside Crown Tower in Barangaroo while visiting Sydney in March 2022.

The price included a $1 extra for soy milk, $1 to upgrade to a large cup, 80 cents for a 'Sunday service charge' and a 10c 'service fee', added to the standard $6 price of a soy latte, brought the total to $8.90.

'Oh my, I just got charged $8.90 for a cup of coffee,' Ms Chen said.

She said she 'didn’t mind too much' about the price but acknowledged that it cost 'more than usual'.

'It was just an average cup of coffee,' she added.
Key Takeaways
  • A NSW cafe has been heavily criticised for charging $4 for a babycino, the same price as a cup of piccolo.
  • The Aussie customer who shared this on social media questioned if it has now become the norm to charge such high prices for a small amount of milk, especially when coffee orders accompany it.
  • A barista who commented on the post explained that the cost of materials and their time should be considered. However, they also admitted they wouldn't pay $4 for a babycino themselves.
  • Numerous people expressed their surprise and outrage over the high price. There were also comments pointing out that places such as Bunnings offer babycinos for free with coffee orders, while McDonald's charges between 90 cents to $1.
What's your take on this, dear members? Have you encountered similar pricing surprises? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Honestly I thought babychinos were a thing started by pretentious women who call themselves yummy mummies and take little kids for foot spas and to nail salons 😂😂 😂😂😂😂
Ahhh the good old days when kids were allowed to be kids and not a mini me 😂😂😂😂😂😂

The humble ‘babycino'—a baby cappuccino—is a frothy cup of steamed milk loved by many children.

However, the beloved drink has become the centre of a heated debate as an NSW cafe has recently been criticised for charging customers $4 for a babycino—the same price as a cup of piccolo coffee.

The controversy began when a disgruntled customer took to social media to express her disbelief at the cost of the child-friendly beverage during a family outing.

'Seriously? I understand inflation and the costs of running a small hospitality business, but do you really need to charge $4 for about 50mL of milk?' the disgruntled mum asked.

View attachment 35464

'I have never known anyone ever to order a babycino only, there’s always coffees (and money) being made already with the order. In our case, $38.'

The customer's post included a photo of three empty cups taped to a wall, displaying the prices of various beverages which included a large iced latte or adult milkshake priced at $8, a small iced latte or kids milkshake priced at $7, and the contentious babycino or piccolo priced at $4.

The post sparked a flurry of responses, with many expressing shock at the 'pretty outrageous' price of the babycino.

While another added, 'That's absolutely ridiculous. No way I would pay $4 for a babycino especially because I get a latte, and it would just be the bit of foam off the top of the milk they use for it.'

View attachment 35465

However, not everyone was quick to condemn the cafe. A barista with 15 years of experience in the hospitality industry chimed in, explaining that the price does not just cover 'only frothed milk'.

'The barista making it is essentially wasting milk underneath that froth because it’s not textured to use for another coffee most of the time.'

'Most places also give marshmallows or something small too, the takeaway cup and lid and the barista’s time as a staff member all costs money. However, I wouldn’t pay $4 for it myself.'

'At some stage, customers wanted this on the menu, so pricing will change as it needs with inflation, wage increases, [and] produce/product items increase.'

'Most baristas can’t stand making them especially when [they’re really busy], and the amount of time I’ve had customers waiting on their coffee order blatantly stare at me impatiently waiting whilst watching me scoop froth to a tiny cup is countless and annoying.'

Another user agreed, saying, 'You’re being charged for the cup, lid and the time used to make one. Also some profit. It is ridiculous, but so is the cost of bills and wages.'

While one user suggested: 'The people spending money on this are literally part of the problem.'

Some Aussies shared that a babycino at McDonald’s costs between 90 cents to $1, depending on the location. Bunnings, a popular hardware store chain, offers them for free when a coffee is purchased.

This news comes after migration lawyer Traci Chen was charged $8.90 for a cup of coffee at a hotel bar inside Crown Tower in Barangaroo while visiting Sydney in March 2022.

The price included a $1 extra for soy milk, $1 to upgrade to a large cup, 80 cents for a 'Sunday service charge' and a 10c 'service fee', added to the standard $6 price of a soy latte, brought the total to $8.90.

She said she 'didn’t mind too much' about the price but acknowledged that it cost 'more than usual'.

Key Takeaways

• A NSW cafe has been heavily criticised for charging $4 for a babycino, the same price as a cup of piccolo.
  • The Aussie customer who shared this on social media questioned if it has now become the norm to charge such high prices for a small amount of milk, especially when coffee orders accompany it.
  • A barista who commented on the post explained that the cost of materials and their time should be considered. However, they also admitted they wouldn't pay $4 for a babycino themselves.
  • Numerous people expressed their surprise and outrage over the high price. There were also comments pointing out that places such as Bunnings offer babycinos for free with coffee orders, while McDonald's charges between 90 cents to $1.
What's your take on this, dear members? Have you encountered similar pricing surprises? Share your experiences in the comments below.
Coffee Club also have free babycino's

One of my daughters would go with friends to a play centre and they would get the kiddies a babycino , I actually don't like this, for one , even though it's not coffee I feel they are introducing them to what they think is coffee. Why not just get them a milk shake or juice ?

Whenever I got together with friends the kids always had juice .

Honestly I thought babychinos were a thing started by pretentious women who call themselves yummy mummies and take little kids for foot spas and to nail salons 😂😂 😂😂😂😂
Ahhh the good old days when kids were allowed to be kids and not a mini me 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Well said!

These mummies should do more parenting and less yummying.

I also agree with the attached contribution.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228-082450.png
    Screenshot_20231228-082450.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 35464

View attachment 35465

Key Takeaways

Go to MacDonalds where you get it cheaper and also have the benefit of a kids playground instead of them using the cafe as one

One of my daughters would go with friends to a play centre and they would get the kiddies a babycino , I actually don't like this, for one , even though it's not coffee I feel they are introducing them to what they think is coffee. Why not just get them a milk shake or juice ?

Whenever I got together with friends the kids always had juice .
Geez, how much were they charging for Puppychinos?

View attachment 35464

View attachment 35465

Key Takeaways

Simple fix : don't go there again.

View attachment 35464

View attachment 35465

Key Takeaways

When I took my grandkids to cafes about 6-7 years ago they charged $2 for a babycino. So it's a question of whether the cost of living has risen by 100% in that time. I, personally, would think maybe $2.50-$3 max would be a fairer price.

Reactions: Ezzy and Lolali
What a load of nonsense this is! Take the child some milk in their own drinking cup and it costs nothing.🤨

Reactions: Bullwinkle

View attachment 35464

View attachment 35465

Key Takeaways

At 8.90 trust me they are making a lot of money per coffee. I was a barista for ten years with a mobile coffee van. I used to give mums baby chino's for free, 8 oz cup of frothy milk, very frothy so not a big loss of milk, really, why have people got to bullshit with excuses that are made up just to rip people off and then try and justify it!

View attachment 35464

View attachment 35465

Key Takeaways

I've always got them for free with my coffee, there really is nothing to them

Reactions: Macarj and Ezzy