Cafe insider reveals the secret trick to save money on your next iced latte order

There's nothing quite like the refreshing taste of an iced latte on a hot day. But have you ever wondered why this chilled delight often costs more than its hot counterpart, despite seeming simpler to make?

A cafe owner from Victoria, Gabby, has spilt the beans on a cost-saving secret that she claimed could save you a lot on your next coffee bill.

Gabby runs a popular cafe called 'The Snappy Grump' with her sister.

Despite her experience in the business, Gabby was surprised to discover that Australian cafes levy a $3 surcharge on iced drinks, even though they are simpler to make compared to hot coffee.

pexels-cottonbro-studio-4790055.jpg
Gabby shared a tip to save on your next iced latte bill. Image source: cottonbro studio/Pexels

'It's easier to make an iced latte than a normal latte,' Gabby said. 'I don't know why it's more expensive. I don't write the rules.'

But she recently took to social media to share a tip that could save you a significant amount on your iced latte order.

‘It's going to save you big bucks,’ she said. ‘Get some milk and some ice into a keep cup, order a double espresso which costs less than $4, and then pour that into your milk and ice.’

‘Now you have your iced latte! That's it—there's nothing else to an iced latte,’ she added.

For those with a sweet tooth, Gabby also revealed that you can ask for caramel or vanilla syrup in the espresso for a sweeter flavour.

The price discrepancy between hot and iced lattes has long been a point of contention among coffee enthusiasts. Last year, a heated debate occurred after a social media user highlighted the price difference between the two drinks.

Some argued that the additional cost of iced lattes is due to the price of the plastic cups and lids, which are often double the price of their hot counterparts.

However, others, like Gabby, believed that the price hike was unjustified, given the simplicity of the drink's preparation.

Gabby's revelation has sparked a lively debate among coffee lovers. Some were sceptical, questioning why one wouldn't just make the entire drink at home if they were already bringing milk and ice from home.

However, others were thrilled with the idea.

'I've been doing this for iced long blacks for years! $7 for coffee, ice and water is insane,' one woman said.

'I paid $9 for an iced latte this morning. My coworker's medium cappuccino was $5.75,' another shared.

'This is great advice for people who drink alternative milk, going places where they don't have that milk!' one wrote.

Meanwhile, a coffee owner from New Zealand defended their iced latte price point, saying: ‘In NZ, the iced cups and lids are double the price of hot cups and lids. So that’s why ours are usually more expensive.’

While Gabby's tip may not be for everyone, it's an interesting insight into the world of coffee pricing and a clever way to save a few dollars on your caffeine fix. So, next time you're craving an iced latte, why not give Gabby's tip a try? You might just find that it's the perfect blend of cost-saving and taste.

And remember, whether you're a fan of iced lattes, cappuccinos, or a simple long black, the most important thing is to enjoy your coffee just the way you like it.

You can watch Gabby’s video here:

Source: @baristasisters_flickgab/TikTok​

Key Takeaways
  • A cafe owner has revealed a money-saving tip for iced coffee drinks through social media.
  • The secret involves bringing your own ice and milk in a keep cup, then ordering a double shot of espresso, and then pouring it into your milk and ice.
  • This method can lead to significant savings as a double espresso is cheaper than the cost of a pre-made iced latte at many cafes.
  • Some viewers appreciated the tip, especially those who consume alternative milk that cafes may not offer, while others were sceptical of the practicality.

What do you think of this coffee-saving tip, members? Have you tried it, or do you have any other tricks up your sleeve? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
There would be a credit card fee in it as well. No thanks I take the pouches bought when on special, some hot water in a small thermos and sit in fresh air in the park

There would be a credit card fee in it as well. No thanks I take the pouches bought when on special, some hot water in a small thermos and sit in fresh air in the park
Sound good to me.