Shoppers are fuming over this 'frustrating' Kmart checkout detail! Do you agree?

Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘It’s horrendous on both sides of that transaction.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘I know right. I totally agree with you.’

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

One person argued: ‘I used to think it was nuts but it makes sense.’

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Click and collect is not convenient either in K Mart ,it's in the middle of the store not at the entrance
Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Key Takeaways

I don't like the Kmart checkouts being in the middle of the store. I've quite often stood in long queues only to be told there are no manned checkouts & only self serve available, which I don't want to use. Then as I'm walking away from the checkouts see something in the front of the store that I would have liked to look at. But usually I don't bother, because I just don't want to have to go back through the store again to purchase an item. The BigW set up for their checkouts works great, and they also have a bag-check person at their exit as well.
I have no problem with my bags being checked upon leaving any store, if you have nothing to hide, what's the problem and it only takes a few seconds. I will offer my bags for checking, even if I'm not actually asked.

Key Takeaways

We have had the new format of central checkouts for 2 or 3 years now. I've shopped there only when I had no other choice, which is rare....I HATE the format, and HATE being made to feel I was a thief. Pay at a checkout and walk out, that's how it SHOULD be...I'll buy online, and wait weeks for my purchase rather than shop with them!!

Key Takeaways

This newish checkout system has not resolved the queues. It’s still a long queue you have to wait in. They don’t always have attended checkouts. I don’t like to use the self checkout and the to get out of the store I am back in a queue to get my bags checked. So I queue twice not once to get out of the store. I find I avoid Kmart due to this time wasting exercise

I don't see that it makes much difference where the Checkouts are situated, if it's busy there will be a queue anywhere and I think we are all inclined to be too impatient! As for checking bags I don't blame them as they suffer heavy stock losses from shoplifters. As someone else said it doesn't usually take long and if even if not done thoroughly it might be a disencentive to steal.

Key Takeaways

Don't kid yourself the decision by KMart was NOT in the customers best interest.
It is purely an excuse to further reduce staff numbers and place the onus of checking out onto customers.

Further more there are a huge numbers of cameras aimed at the self serve checkouts and the items are weighed as you place them in the bag just as they are in Coles/Woollies. Placing a junior staff member at the entrance to check our bags and receipts is disgusting.

Reactions: Penny4
Don't kid yourself the decision by KMart was NOT in the customers best interest.
It is purely an excuse to further reduce staff numbers and place the onus of checking out onto customers.

Further more there are a huge numbers of cameras aimed at the self serve checkouts and the items are weighed as you place them in the bag just as they are in Coles/Woollies. Placing a junior staff member at the entrance to check our bags and receipts is disgusting.
There might be cameras, but I bet there's no-one looking at them. It's woeful that Kmart employs young people to stand at the exit door to check customers. It's a job for a well-trained security person, not a young, untrained person.

As you know they are going to check your receipt, why don't you just keep it in your hand. No more rummaging about in your handbag, simple!!
I agree I loathe shopping at Kmart because of where the checkouts are located. Target have got it right. Having to fumble to find your receipt to have it checked before you leave is a pain in …!

Key Takeaways

I don't mind the new layout but it's a real pain if I see something I'd forgotten after being in the centre. Then you have to go back to the checkout and show that you've already purchased some of the items you're carrying. Front registers help you to avoid temptation as you don't see anything after checking out! 😊

Most large stores have a sign at the front saying they will check bags as you walk out.
If it's a small bag then it doesn't need to be checked .

By checking shopping bags it may help with thieving which will help prevent price rises.

If we go into a store we need to abide by rules
That ignorance of the law on your part. You are in no way required to submit to a bag search unless Police are present and have reasonable suspicion. Educate yourself instead of talking nonsense.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
That ignorance of the law on your part. You are in no way required to submit to a bag search unless Police are present and have reasonable suspicion. Educate yourself instead of talking nonsense.
If you intend to do bag checks, make sure you set this out as a condition of entry. You must let customers know these conditions before they enter your shop.

This means you must:

• write your conditions on a sign
  • display this sign at every entrance.
Your conditions of entry must apply to all customers equally.

Remember—bag checks are voluntary. You may only do them if the customer agrees. If you display your sign correctly, the customer is agreeing to the conditions by entering your premises.

When doing a bag check:

• don’t touch the bag or any items in it
  • ask the customer to move items in their bag to help you see inside easily.
If a customer refuses to allow a check, you can ask them to

• leave the shop
  • not return until they agree to follow your conditions of entry.
If you don't have anything to hide to you want to act like an idiot and draw attention just because you don't want to show your bag quickly.

Don't enter the store if you don't want to submit to a bag search, I don't know about ignorance of the law, but it's just dumb entitled ignorance on your part, what's your problem???

Appears to me you may have been a naughty boy during your past, as you seem dead set on avoiding what is a very simple request.
Do you like drawing attention to yourself, I unfortunately have a son like that, the physic told me he's narcissistic, everything is about him.!!
The point people are trying to make is that it is their store, there is a sign stating the conditions of entry to THEIR store. By entering you are agreeing to that condition.
Or, like my son, is it all about you!!
Me thinks that perhaps that is the answer.
Suzanne Rose is right in her explanation about the conditions of d try, you are the one talking nonsense, if you don't want to follow the conditions of entry just don't go in instead of chucking a childish hissy fit.I assume, this being a seniors page, that you are supposed to be a grown man, try acting like one. Grow up.

That ignorance of the law on your part. You are in no way required to submit to a bag search unless Police are present and have reasonable suspicion. Educate yourself instead of talking nonsense

Key Takeaways

Personally I don’t like them in the middle, they have to many self service ones which I never ever use.

Lisa, my thoughts exactly. I'm not particularly in favour of checkouts in the centre of the store but will go ahead with it if in some way they can stop shoplifting with exit checks of bags as well; but if you have nothing to hide then why take objection to a quick check of your bags at the exit? Perhaps the regular shoplifters may think they can use the centre check out and then continue 'shopping' (or shop-lifting) before exiting. About checking a scooter bag - what's the objection? Nothing to hide, don't take offence as staff are doing their job. If they don't check every bag they could lose their jobs. Go shop somewhere else if you don't like being checked like everyone else. Yes, get a life people - we have too much shop lifting these days so it's in the company's interests to have bags checked.
Catherine, checking my scooter bag wasn't the hassle, the hassle was they demanded I get off my scooter and walk unaided to the back of my scooter to open it for their inspection. THERE WAS NOTHING IN IT! Why couldn't they lift the cover and check that themselves, I asked them to do that, but NO, they claimed that wasn't their job! Just a few steps??? Sure, but when one struggles to walk unaided even a short distance, if I'd fallen what would they have done?

Had to laugh at all those "indignant " people that complained about the registers being located centre store really? I think its pretty convenient! Also to the shoppers who said they felt like shoplifters...hmmmm feeling a little guilty there are we?? If that's all you have to whinge about how about you go get a life or better still shop elsewhere if you sensitive souls can't handle it.
Not feeling guilty...at all...you rarely see the person at the entrance check your docket anyway...just the inconvenience of lining up again at the the front door...and it's another reason I won't shop at ALDI..load your groceries on the belt and then they say can I check your hand bag...like you are hiding another 50 items in there...

I dont open anything for security at any stores. If they detain you its illegal, they have to have seen you take property that is not yours. Just refuse and walk out because if they try to stop you thats assault. I encourage all to do the same thing if you have nothing to hide. Show K Mart how stupid their actions are.
Nothing taken then no harm in showing your bags! What’s the problem here?

Not feeling guilty...at all...you rarely see the person at the entrance check your docket anyway...just the inconvenience of lining up again at the the front door...and it's another reason I won't shop at ALDI..load your groceries on the belt and then they say can I check your hand bag...like you are hiding another 50 items in there...
Again, nothing stolen, then no problem. Stock losses by stealing account, in part, for the increase in prices which, by the way, everyone seems to be whinging about these days. I have no problem showing my bags.

Reactions: mylittletibbies