Shoppers are fuming over this 'frustrating' Kmart checkout detail! Do you agree?

Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘It’s horrendous on both sides of that transaction.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘I know right. I totally agree with you.’

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

One person argued: ‘I used to think it was nuts but it makes sense.’

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

I rarely shop at KMart now because of the way it’s set out you see kids clothing at the front of the store ,then a mixture of adults n kids just makes it harder to find what your looking for ,plus sometimes when you go to show your receipt your just waved through ,not having it looked at ,devious people could take a old receipt in just wave it at the checkpoint

Key Takeaways

KMart has had their check out in the middle of the store for at least a decade. I don't like it, as it means having to go further into the store when I purchase something that is located near the entry/exit, but I don't lose my head over it.

As for checking receipts and bags, try shopping at Costco! Every shopper has to go through a manned checkout and every trolley and receipt is checked, sometimes in great detail, at the exit. Now THAT is annoying!
Don’t have a problem with this! Just go with the flow!

Why not use their current system but put it back at the front of the store?
Big W has this method and it is much better, in my opinion.
When I shop, I am usually looking for specific items so I’m not interested in ‘their methods’ to entice us to buy more.
It’s a stupid idea. Someone tried to validate their position

Key Takeaways

Annoying and another ploy to make you spend more money. GREED is the only thought on these big stores minds.

Key Takeaways

well, here in Geraldton you can be sitting having a cuppa outside the K-Mart store and you could lose count of the number of times the alarm goes off when a customer exits the store and not even challenged.
as for the checkout being where it is, I feel it is a silly idea because you go through the checkout and pay for what you have then have to show items and receipts to security, and as stated, you could pick something off the rack on your way out and set the alarm off and not get challenged, where-as before, once you went through the checkout at the front you had no opportunity to take anything else. I say bring the checkouts back to the front as they used to be

Reactions: KiwiTrish
Hate central checkout locations which are rarely staffed, just a solitary staff member directing you to the self serve machines which I refuse to use.

Key Takeaways

Think it is a stupid idea first off have to do their job and self serve or wait in queue for the 1 person on the registers 2 if your lucky then have to wait for the door person to check your docket to make sure your doing their job right go back to the old way and have an exit register for those not buying

Key Takeaways

I am getting fed up with all retail giants doing away with checkout operators and going to self checkout . I am not an employee . We do not even get an extra discount for doing the stores work , and to rub salt into the wound , they demand to check our bags . I know that is a requirement in most stores , but if you trust us to self checkout , trust us to do YOUR job , or give us back our checkout operators

Yep, I am that one. I just walk out, I have done nothing wrong.
They have no legal right to obligate you to have your bag checked unless you act suspiciosly.
They have a sign stating that a condition of entering the store is that your bag will be checked, so don't you think you have a moral obligation to show your bag, otherwise go and shop elsewhere if you are so outraged by this simple request it only takes a few seconds.

Well sometimes people's stupid complaints about nothing requires a frustrated answer. Really, the petty things people complain about is ridiculous
Your comment isn’t necessary it’s rude & offensive everyone has different opinions / likes dislikes your comment is disrespectful ..

Key Takeaways

Yep stupid idea 💡 out and then a person checks your docket on the way out some body with brains 🧠 I doubt it will move the cheque-outs to the front of the store but don't hold your breath

I really don't give a flying fingy where they put the checkouts but what really annoys me is the great big circular sign saying "checkout" over the centre but the actual checkout desks are nowhere near it which means you have to walk around in a circle to find it!
I also think that maybe Woolies and Coles could use the same system so that you have to walk even further with all your goods, legally obtained or otherwise just to get out of the store! Nah, ain't gonna happen, or is it?

That sign is not legal and has never been. They like everyone else cannot search your bag, they have to call the Police, but they have no right to detain you because if you are innocent then they get charged and K mart gets sued. If you have done nothing wrong, then dont submit.
Oh, grow up you silly person!!!

Imagine the horror my daughter and I went through when dropping into Kmart with our carry on luggage after a flight. We needed thongs, hats etc. They made us pull our small suitcases apart on the way out after spending a whole hr making everything fit. They had travel padlocks on them too. Questioned some clothing and a hairbrush (with some hairs in it).Would NEVER have gone in there if we had known. What a drama, and yes, have never been made to feel more like a crim.
Why on earth would you put all this stuff in your suitcases before leaving the store, you made yourselves look like thieves. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
What do you think would happen if everybody did this?

Or the people stupid and cowardly enough to submit.
No, they're actually the people with a few brains, who read the stores sign and abided by the stores rules.
They do own the store after all and can make whatever rules they like on their own property.
But there is no accounting for the peabrains who think they are far more superior it and rules don't apply to them.

Key Takeaways

Checkout should be at the door.

Key Takeaways

congestion only happens at busy time or when not enough registers are operating. no matter where the registers are located so moving them cost tens of thousands of dollars and still the problem exist perhaps they should have left the registers where they were

Key Takeaways

I do not like this arrangement at all. In fact it irritates the you know what" out of me.
When I was first confronted with this change, I had to ask someone where I have to pay.
I was offered a pointed finger indicating way over the other side of the store and aimed up at the ceiling where the ridiculous sign was hanging. In my case, the mobility aid did nothing to make this reverse of direction easy. I went around and around the aisles in a mind bending effort to gain easy access to the new checkout area.
When I got there, the way they have set up the aisles makes it quite difficult to navigate them when impeded with my trolley. It's being in line at the picture theatre for the latest blockbuster. They also make it a lot easier for self service than they do for people like me who prefer staff assisted checkout.
If they must utilise a pay in an unconventional location innovation, then do it like they do at the up market stores like David Jones. Have registers at the counters for each range of product, like clothing, toys, lingerie, etc. I actually don't mind that because you know there will be a point of payment nearby.
Maybe Kmart should introduce GPS tracking apps that will help me find my way.

Key Takeaways

I quite agree and I refuse to allow anybody to check my purchases. They moved the checkouts, they should move the exits.
As a result I seldom enter K Mart.