Shoppers are fuming over this 'frustrating' Kmart checkout detail! Do you agree?

Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘It’s horrendous on both sides of that transaction.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘I know right. I totally agree with you.’

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

One person argued: ‘I used to think it was nuts but it makes sense.’

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I had a check at chemist wharehouse and he actually put his hand inside my bag even though I held it open, and he held the bag whilst it was still on my shoulder. I had just come through the checkout at the door. They are not allowed to touch your belongings. I also saw him pick up a woman's bag from her trolley. Also not allowed. They can go over the top. I hope she reported it as I told him he wasn't allowed to do this especially given I had presented it to him.

K Mart cannot have a policy to search anything private as it is against the law. Abide by this and you encourage bullying against vulnerable people and kids. Only the stupid will call this a rule.
It's not like they go through your bag , it's a quick look if that.
Isn't it better to just do this rather than refuse and cause a commotion, you wouldn't be a hero by doing this.
There are alot of things you don't have to do in life but we do because it keeps the peace and hurts nobody.

Opening your bag for a few seconds doesn't hurt you unless your hiding something

I had a check at chemist wharehouse and he actually put his hand inside my bag even though I held it open, and he held the bag whilst it was still on my shoulder. I had just come through the checkout at the door. They are not allowed to touch your belongings. I also saw him pick up a woman's bag from her trolley. Also not allowed. They can go over the top. I hope she reported it as I told him he wasn't allowed to do this especially given I had presented it to him.
They are not allowed to touch you or your bag and if they do then you report them.

If they suspect you have stolen something they have to call the police if you then try to leave they can do a citizens arrest . If they are wrong then it's on them and they risk you then taking it further.

Oh dear, another indignant pea brain How much do you think we would all end up paying for things if we all had this ridiculous attitude.
Unfortunately , you and I might not be shoplifters, but far too many people are and we are all paying a price for this. Why would you make sucha song and dance about such a simple thing.
Blame the shoplifters for the situation, not KMart.
If you don't like it shop somewhere else. After all it clearly states that a condition of entry is that you agree to having your bag searched, so why did you enter and then refuse.
Why are you so entitled???
because - - IF the checkout was still at the EXIT - - then, there would be no need to "make sure" you are not "shoplifting"..... why move the checkout

The checkouts were moved because of shoplifting. My niece works in admin at KMart and told me there has been a considerable drop in shoplifting since they moved the checkouts, which I think, as customers, we should all be grateful for as these losses are passed onto us in increased costs.

because - - IF the checkout was still at the EXIT - - then, there would be no need to "make sure" you are not "shoplifting"..... why move the checkout
Even when the checkouts were at the front of the store , there was still a security person at the door. Regardless if checkouts are in the middle of the store or the front of the store you will always have people checking your bags as well as people thieving.

It's not like they go through your bag , it's a quick look if that.
Isn't it better to just do this rather than refuse and cause a commotion, you wouldn't be a hero by doing this.
There are alot of things you don't have to do in life but we do because it keeps the peace and hurts nobody.

Opening your bag for a few seconds doesn't hurt you unless your hiding something
Just say no and they cant cause a commotion as they will be held liable. Get some courage and stand your ground what they are doing is not in accordance with the law. It is people like you that make it hard for the rest of us, you let them dictate and in the end we all lose.