Potential measles outbreak: Are YOU at risk from your recent supermarket visit?

As we navigate through the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, the last thing we expect is to be caught up in a health scare.

Yet, for some residents and visitors of one city, routine trips to Woolworths or Kmart have become a cause for concern.

Victorian health authorities have sounded the alarm after a new measles case was identified, with the individual having visited multiple locations in Melbourne's south-east while infectious.

While recent cases of potential outbreaks originated overseas, this one, which was acquired locally, prompted a swift response from health officials.

‘This case of measles was acquired here in Victoria. This is why it is so important for you, and your children, to be vaccinated against measles,’ Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Professor Ben Cowie stated.

cdc-bkc-m0iZ4Sk-unsplash.jpg
The Victorian Department of Health released a list of exposure sites as another measles case was recorded in Melbourne. Credits: Unsplash

The Woolworths Clayton store, located in M-City, and the Kmart Clayton store are among the more than a dozen exposure sites—from March 14 to March 19—listed on the health department's website.

The potential exposure in Woolworths and Kmart Clayton (in M-City) occurred on Saturday, March 16, from 11:30 am to 1:40 pm.

If you were shopping at these locations during this time, it's crucial to monitor for symptoms until April 3.

Symptoms of measles can start with a runny nose, red eyes, and a cough, followed by a fever. After three to four days, a rash typically appears, starting on the face before spreading to the rest of the body.

If you develop any of these symptoms, it's imperative to seek medical care immediately.

‘Measles is a highly infectious viral illness that can spread from person-to-person, and potentially lead to serious health complications,’ the health department cautioned.

The Victorian Department of Health also listed other exposure sites, including the JB Hi-Fi at The Glen Shopping Centre in Glen Waverley, which was exposed on Thursday, March 14, between 3:10 pm and 4:20 pm, and the Subway at 21 Chancellors Walk Part Monash University, exposed on Friday, March 15, between 4:45 pm and 5:30 pm.

‘People can be administered MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) vaccine within 72 hours of exposure to measles to prevent infection,’ Professor Cowie suggested.

‘Failing that, we recommend that people monitor for symptoms, and seek medical attention if any symptoms develop.’

This development is part of a broader trend of increased measles exposure across various locations.

Just last month, an infection scare hit a neighbouring state following the visit of a contagious traveller to multiple locations.

Urgent warnings were issued by authorities as cases of measles are detected in airports, heightening concerns about potential outbreaks in densely populated areas like Sydney and Melbourne.
Key Takeaways
  • Victoria recorded another measles case, which was acquired within the state, leading to exposure sites being listed in Melbourne's south-east.
  • Woolworths and Kmart in Clayton, among other retail stores, were identified as exposure sites where the infected individual visited.
  • Health authorities urged the public, especially those who have visited the exposure sites during specified times, to monitor for measles symptoms.
  • Vaccination with the MMR vaccine within 72 hours of exposure could prevent infection, and individuals were advised to seek medical attention if symptoms develop.
Have you visited any of the listed exposure sites during the specified times? Are you up to date with your vaccinations? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
We wouldn't have this problem if people were vaccinated. Just goes to show how stupid some people are. Everybody get a simple injection and it's goes away. I have no sympathy for these clowns who refuse this simple treatment. People who refuse should not ne entitled to free treatment as it cost more than the vaccination.

Spare me days! A shocking health scare at Woolies! Measles!

Hey, you out there. Covid-19; yes, you can be infected that easily by the maskless multitude not wearing masks and not staying at home and not sanitising their hands when they go shopping at Colesworth/wherever when they have Covid-19. I'll say one thing in favour of measles; it didn't cause bleeding in my lungs when I had measles, German measles and chicken-pox as a child. And yes, I was given Covid-19 after my wife went shopping at Colesworth. Yes ;coughing up fresh blood is a wee bit alarming.

The Covid endemic is not over and it won't be for a very long time, thanks to stupidity. And if people can avoid measles for their lifetimes by vaccination, then get vaccinated. Covid-19 is not so easy.

I had measles back in 1965 it was very bad then I suspect that I had German measles as well I actually ended up in the hospital with it

Please people get your children or yourselves immunised it is a very nasty malady to have & can be very life threatening in some cases

We wouldn't have this problem if people were vaccinated. Just goes to show how stupid some people are. Everybody get a simple injection and it's goes away. I have no sympathy for these clowns who refuse this simple treatment. People who refuse should not ne entitled to free treatment as it cost more than the vaccination.
Is this stupidity or downright negligence as a parent?

Is this stupidity or downright negligence as a parent?
Stupidity. Witness the anti-vaxxers when it came to vaccination against for Covid-19. Negligence\carelessness is the offshoot of stupidity. Ask any motor-cyclist who has had a leg smashed by a careless car-driver.